Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #316
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I briefly considered using replace (not all, just one) but quickly decided manually finding and removing all address tags was safer though slower. It turned out to be easier than I expected and now that I've done a few books I won't hesitate in the future to use Sigil for other edits also. Thanks again for the help.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #317
ScuttleSE
ScuttleSE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've been tearing my hair out trying to get Calibre to search for authors/titles in all upper/lowercase without much success. Today I made a discovery though.

I went directly to the database and queried the tables themselves, and these were the results:

All the authors are stored in a table called... well, "authors"

If I do a query like this:

Code:
select * from authors where name = "George R.R. Martin"
I get one line with a result, which is just as it is supposed to be

Not that difficult. Now when I do this query:

Code:
select * from authors where name = "GEORGE R.R. MARTIN"
I get the same result. meaning that the database ignores the case when doing a search. "GeOrGe r.r. MartIN" is the same as "George R.R. Martin".

I found out a way to counteract this however. If I do this search:

Code:
select * from authors where name = "GEORGE R.R. MARTIN" collate binary
I get no hits. The query now takes case into account.
With this information I could now create this query to find all authors that were in all caps:

Code:
select * from authors where name = upper(name) collate binary
And for book titles, the query looks almost identical:

Code:
select * from books where title = upper(title) collate binary
For lowercase titles/authors you make a similar query

Code:
select * from books where title = lower(title) collate binary
select * from authors where name = lower(name) collate binary
So... would it be possible for you to implement these searches in the plugin? Authors and titles that are in all upper/lowercase?
ScuttleSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #318
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuttleSE View Post
I've been tearing my hair out trying to get Calibre to search for authors/titles in all upper/lowercase without much success. Today I made a discovery though.

So... would it be possible for you to implement these searches in the plugin? Authors and titles that are in all upper/lowercase?
The Quality Check plugin HAS a Check for Title case(mixed case, Words capitalized)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #319
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
theducks is quite right about the Check titlecase function. Though it does have one limitation currently in comparison to what you are asking for, in that it only checks the titles of books, it does not look at authors.

So the question becomes whether (a) you accept that the Check titlecase function is sufficient to stop tearing your hair out when it comes to book titles and then (b) if the plugin allowed you to check authors as well whether that would complete the coverage you are after.

I am reluctant to add specific checks for "All lower", "All upper" etc as these are really just permutations of the same thing - what would you do with a title that was all lowercase? You would rename it (most likely) to use titlecase.

So if making available an option to check titlecase to the Authors is useful that is something I would consider.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #320
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
So if making available an option to check titlecase to the Authors is useful that is something I would consider.
Worms, as in Can-o-worms
Run...

Author names are much more complex than titles:
van Vogt
DeMarce
Dechancie
De Weese
MacDonald
McIntosh
L. E. Modesitt Jr.

hyphenated names

do you really want to go there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #321
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always expected it would be a separate menu option, not built into the existing check. So there would be a Check titles for titlecase, and a Check authors for titlecase. There will always be exceptions (just like there are for book titles) and people can create an exemption just like they can for other checks.

Personally I wouldn't bother using it, as I (no longer) add my books in a bulk style approach which is what creates these sorts of issues. But I'm just throwing it out there for discussion - the OP clearly has an issue he is trying to solve, it is a question of whether anyone else feels it is worthwhile...
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #322
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.7.3 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add a "Check series pubdate order" menu option, which will report series where the published date is not in order with the series.
  • Rename "Check titlecase" to "Check title for titlecase"
  • Add a "Check authors for case" option to look for author names that are all uppercase or lowercase.
  • Add a "Check missing" submenu, with options to perform searches for books missing title, authors, isbn, pubdate, publisher, tags, rating, comments, languages, cover, formats

This release addresses some of the recent posts on this thread plus a personal bugbear of mine.

Some of you asked for menu options as shortcuts for identifying missing metadata in calibre. As per the attached screenshot there is a new menu called "Check missing" which has various options for performing searches that could otherwise be directly typed into the search bar of calibre.

A recent request above asked for checking the casing of authors - I have added a new menu option on the Check metadata menu which looks for all uppercase or all lowercase author names.

The final addition was a "Check series pubdate order". This looks at books that are in a series, and compares the published date increases across the series.

Why add this check? Primarily it is of interest if you have a Kindle, and use the "sort by Author" within a collection, as this allows you to see a series correctly in order if the pubdate is set correctly. Yes you can use metadata plugboards to put the series in the title, but if you have books not in a series (but still want to read in published order) you will want to have sort by Author set on your Kindle rather than sort by Title.

It is also a way of picking up some cases of where the calibre metadata download has screwed up and stored incorrect publication dates. This is a known calibre issue that my attempts to convince Kovid to fix have been unsuccessful so far (but maybe one day it will happen!). Metadata download currently ignores any published dates from the metadata plugins (like Fantastic Fiction) and instead uses Worldcat to lookup based on the ISBN. Unfortunately the result is frequently wildly wrong from my experience. I have ideas for an alternate implementation that Kovid has approved a patch for in concept, but sadly I lack the skills to implement it myself.

Note there is a special exemption for books with series index below 1 - as I know many people like to put omnibus editions or related book entries as 0.x entries and these will frequently be from a later date than the first book in the series.

Of course there will always be series where published date does not coincide with reading order, but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule and this should work well for the majority of series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_4_Toolbar_Missing.png
Views:	212
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	85064  
Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #323
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Kiwidude:

Would it be too difficult to ask for an option to check for a missing ASIN??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #324
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Would it be too difficult to ask for an option to check for a missing ASIN??
I dunno, you tell me - was it difficult to ask?

What is an ASIN? Is that just an Amazon id? i.e. this search?
identifiers:amazon:false
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #325
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dunno, you tell me - was it difficult to ask?

What is an ASIN? Is that just an Amazon id? i.e. this search?
identifiers:amazon:false
Actually you've opened a can a worms because the ASIN can be in either the AMAZON or ASIN identifier field. So, if possible a choice for both would be great but I would love to have the ASIN one. And yes it is the Amazon identifier, I like to keep my library up to date with them and I am in the process of updating these in my library.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #326
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the update; really like the "Check series pubdate order".
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #327
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@nyn - it isn't me that opened the can of worms

Come up with whatever the search expression is that is required and I will think about it. In the meantime, I would suggest you just do a saved search with that expression in it - it is just as many clicks to choose that from the saved searches dropdown as it would be to incorporate into this.

My one concern over adding to the plugin is whether it is a little too "bespoke" - if there isn't a specific reason as to why users should care about having an amazon id beyond for completeness sake then it becomes hard to draw the line for other ids as well. For instance why not a check for not having a Goodreads id? Or a Fantastic Fiction id etc. Becomes hard to know where to draw the line once you start doing that, because in all instances there are valid reasons (such as short stories) where your books will not have an ASIN or whatever.

@GeckoFriend - thanks, gald you like
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #328
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
@nyn - it isn't me that opened the can of worms

Come up with whatever the search expression is that is required and I will think about it. In the meantime, I would suggest you just do a saved search with that expression in it - it is just as many clicks to choose that from the saved searches dropdown as it would be to incorporate into this.
It would if you didn't have over a 100 saved searches. But something simple like asin:false

Quote:
My one concern over adding to the plugin is whether it is a little too "bespoke" - if there isn't a specific reason as to why users should care about having an amazon id beyond for completeness sake then it becomes hard to draw the line for other ids as well. For instance why not a check for not having a Goodreads id? Or a Fantastic Fiction id etc. Becomes hard to know where to draw the line once you start doing that, because in all instances there are valid reasons (such as short stories) where your books will not have an ASIN or whatever.

@GeckoFriend - thanks, gald you like
That is a lot to think on and realistically it might be best to leave as a saved search. Personally I believe this would be useful if you purchase a significant amount of books from Amazon, which I do, though I will say I also like have asin numbers for books which Amazon also sells. Also, in my library for books which I know do not have an asin, I have added a fake one just so that it will not appear as missing.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #329
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should know that amazon asins are site specific. So an asin from amazon.com will not work on amazon.co.uk and vice versa.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #330
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should know that amazon asins are site specific. So an asin from amazon.com will not work on amazon.co.uk and vice versa.
Thanks I did not know that.