Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
another epub icon

I made myself an epub icon because I got tired of looking at the generic file icon in windows (and I don't run ADE on this machine). It's not anything super special, but I thought I'd share it with others in case someone wanted it. The .ico file is in the attached epub.zip.

The green "e" was taken from the official epub logo, and not designed by me. I'm not taking any credit for that. I just put it on a generic document icon image and made it into a .ico file. This is a derivative work.

Also, there are some instructions for setting the default icon in windows 7 because it doesn't have the GUI tools for this that previous windows did.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ch...s-7-and-vista/

Preview:
Attached Files
File Type: zip epub.zip (25.3 KB, 1241 views)

Last edited by quillaja; 10-17-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to clarify that i didn't make the green "e" thing
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
That's actually pretty nice.

Although the icon would be more useful if you specified a license under which it can be used. I'd recommend CC-BY-SA.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://www.idpf.org/EPUBlogo/epublogocontest_winner.htm

and

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekovid...0ur-1/epub.png
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nice catch Kovid. It is too bad some people claim other peoples work.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I don't think he was claiming it was his art work, but he did make it an icon file which is a derivative of the files available at the idpf.org website

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
quillaja
Connoisseur

I know it's the official logo. That's why I used it in an icon for epub. I didn't claim that I made "e" thing, I just made the actual icon file.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Nice catch Kovid. It is too bad some people claim other peoples work.
I was also aware that this was based on the official epub logo, but the icon is a derivative work. I find no reason to assume quillaja wanted to deceive us and claim the "e" as his own work. The official epub logo is quite well known around here.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-17-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
quillaja
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The official epub logo i quite well known around here.
Yea, I assumed most people would recognize the logo. Anyway, I've now made it clear that this icon is a derivative work.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I was actually pointing out to Valloric the second link which links to an epub icon in the calibre source code, which he could use without waiting for permission from the OP.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
quillaja
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I was actually pointing out to Valloric the second link which links to an epub icon in the calibre source code, which he could use without waiting for permission from the OP.
Ah, I see.

I'm not one of the types that's really worried about sticking licenses on everything, but if CC-BY-SA is appropriate, as Valloric suggested, that's fine with me. Other than that, I say "do whatever you want."

I guess the real question is about the license on the original epub logo that I used. I doubt the IDPF would care about something silly like this, but who knows.