Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Two Questions: Battery Gauge & Magnet

First, I have a question on the battery gauge of the 600. When the battery is full, it has four bars. Now, before it goes completely dead (shutting down while reading) will the battery display one bar or no bars? I like letting it get as low as possible sometimes, but I don't know when this occurs. Last night I sat flipping through pages trying to get that last bar to dissapear, but got bored after a few hundred flips with no result.

Second, and less importantly, did Sony put the magnet at the top right corner of the 600 there on purpose? It is great for putting the stylus in an easy-to-reach place. Or is it just a magnet created by the battery, and this a fluke that worked out? And, is there any reason I shouldn't be using the magnet to hold the stylus while reading (I don't see why, and the stylus holding-slot is in that very spot).
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
TimNeo
TimNeo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hadn't noticed the magnet, but now I have I've discovered a very useless 'feature'. Thanks!
TimNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The magnet is primarily there to hold the case closed, but you're right - it is handy for the stylus .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
When the battery is too low, a window will pop up telling you to charge it. I don't know how many lines you will have by then.

The sony cover has little magnets on it so that it snaps shut on the reader. Presumably that's why they are there.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
The sony cover has little magnets on it so that it snaps shut on the reader. Presumably that's why they are there.
The magnets are in the Reader itself - the cover just has little circles of metal in it for the magnets to "attract". Try it with the stylus - it's attracted to the Reader, but not to the cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Oops, you're right! I always thought it was the other way round...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
First, I have a question on the battery gauge of the 600. When the battery is full, it has four bars. Now, before it goes completely dead (shutting down while reading) will the battery display one bar or no bars? I like letting it get as low as possible sometimes, but I don't know when this occurs. Last night I sat flipping through pages trying to get that last bar to dissapear, but got bored after a few hundred flips with no result.

Second, and less importantly, did Sony put the magnet at the top right corner of the 600 there on purpose? It is great for putting the stylus in an easy-to-reach place. Or is it just a magnet created by the battery, and this a fluke that worked out? And, is there any reason I shouldn't be using the magnet to hold the stylus while reading (I don't see why, and the stylus holding-slot is in that very spot).
Concerning the magnet, I only can speculate. But I've got the same on various units (mobile phones, PDAs, UMPCs, readers, ...). So I'm pretty sure it's intentional to keep the stylus in place and not loosing it.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
About the battery - you can get down to zero bars before you need to recharge. In fact I think you get about 3 or 4 low battery warning prompts before it will completely be discharged.

I normally get hundreds of extra pages after the first low battery warning so there is no rush to recharge at the first prompt.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah, it's quite handy if you're using the stylus a lot (as I do when reading older texts and looking up words) to just stick it to the top corner.

And thanks for the smartass comment, TimNeo
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
The unit will shut completely off when the battery is out. I got all the way down to no bars and still had a day and a half of reading, possibly 400-500 pages until the unti finally shut down.

I didn't loose any books, simply plugged in the wall charger and continued reading.

I am still, however, having problems with my battery life. It will only last 7 days, not two weeks. I mean from full charge to cutting off.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
I am still, however, having problems with my battery life. It will only last 7 days, not two weeks. I mean from full charge to cutting off.
Are you using the touchscreen a lot? Because once I switched to navigating using the buttons instead of the screen, the battery went from around 8 days of reading up to 12/13 which is what I tend to get now.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hi Poshm,

Yes, I use the touch screen a LOT. I will try that as well as shutting the unit down completely at the end of the day.

As I said to HarryT, I do not have a problem recharging it once a week, however, I want the product to work as they advertised. I know, I know, not going to happen. LOL
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote