Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
Why would you want a Kindle? Kindles are pretty much obsolete after the Nook release.
Will the Kindle stop readng ebooks?

Just because it's not the latest and greatest doesn't mean it's obsolete.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Here is my dilemma. I bought a Kindle and am still in my 30 day return period. I have until the 15th to return it. I preordered the Nook, but am torn. It would be nice if I had a side by side. What are the chances there will be more hands on time with it before the 15th? One thing I am interested in is the refresh rate. In the videos it seems unusually longer than the Kindle. Also, real world battery life tests. I love the fact that my Kindle lasts two weeks on my shelf.

I'm pretty torn.
It's totally free to return the Kindle, isn't it?
If I were you, I will return the Kindle first, and wait for nook.
I may not preorder nook, but wait for others review to see if nook works as what I expect. If not, I can still go for Kindle.
MetaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Agreed. If I don't like it I can pay the BN restocking fee at my loss and repurchase a Kindle.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
(Note to admins and mods, I bumped this cause I didn't want to start a topic too similar, forgive me.)

One of the primary reasons I had gotten the nook is for starting my Ebook collection, but at the same time, become familiar with the minor Android functionality.

Now, I'm pretty much ready to explain why I chose the nook instead of the devices already in easy reach of me. (PRS-300, PRS-600)

Sorry if these come off as biased...

Why I did not get the 300:

When I lurked these boards, the Sony reader forums always caught my attention. Unfortunately half of that attention was taken up by issues people have had with their 300's. While I've used a demo unit of the 300, the overall firmware performance seems really off.

Why I did not get a PRS 600:

Just like the 300, I've heard about clarity issues as well as firmware integrity flaws.

Why I did not get the Kindle:

The first Kindle had expandable memory, but some issues with usability. While the K2 added some advantage to the hardware, it lacked an SD card slot, taking simple convenience away. THe DX is rediculous cause I'd rather have a 6" device instead of a huge ceiling tile with a screen...
Yet again I post this on an outdated topic cause I didn't want to make a "duplicate" topic.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
THe DX is rediculous cause I'd rather have a 6" device instead of a huge ceiling tile with a screen...
Yet again I post this on an outdated topic cause I didn't want to make a "duplicate" topic.
Amazon almost got me back into its fold with the DX. I occasionally read through PDFs and comic books. A lot of webcomic authors offer up their archives in PDF format via Wowio or the like, making an e-reader practically ideal for taking some of this unprinted stuff on the go. 6" screens are just a tad too small for this stuff.

If they were willing to support ePub directly with the DX (even if they didn't sell ePub content), I'd have been willing to grab one.

6" is pretty ideal for normal reading IMO, but a slightly larger screen would be nice for those who do muck with more visual content (or PDFs that assume A4 page size or so).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
One of the primary reasons I had gotten the nook is for starting my Ebook collection, but at the same time, become familiar with the minor Android functionality.
The android stuff is hidden.

I've seen several people on the main forum say they are returning the Nooks they've pre-ordered after seeing the reviews.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote