Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
tmoody
tmoody began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another person trying to figure it all out

Hello! My name is Todd, and I'm in Philadelphia, and I've just about decided to get an ebook reader of some sort, but I haven't quite decided yet what to get. That's probably the situation of many who first register in this forum. I read lots of different things, but my professional interests are in contemporary analytic philosophy. As far as I can tell, there's not a lot of content out there yet in that field, so I'm trying to guess which way the wind is blowing. I'm also still pretty bewildered by the profusion of formats. So I guess I'll be reading this forum a lot.

Todd
tmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A warm welcome to MobileReader, Todd. You'll certainly get lots of advice here - not that that will make the decision process any easier .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Todd.

You will probably prefer a reader which does PDFs well, because many academic articles are stored in PDF format. However, philosophy articles usually have fewer graph or equations than physics and chemistry. So you might well manage with a 6" screen.

You should work out whether you merely wish to read articles and books, or whether you want to make annotations.

Do feel free to ask questions. Someone here is likely to know the answer. Also consult our wiki on the merits of different readers. There's a link to the wiki at the very top of this page.
And here's a direct link to the comparison matrix:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

I also attempt to teach philosophy, when not campaigning against the imminent closure of my department.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Todd and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Todd!

Once you've decide on a reader, I'm sure you will want to look over the free books you can download from MR. Good luck with your decision.

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
tmoody
tmoody began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the welcomes. I've done a lot of reading in this forum and the wiki. Thank you, Patricia, for emphasizing the point about annotation and underlining.

As an experiment, I tried searching several recent titles in philosophy in Amazon' Kindle store. I came up with nothing. I don't know if I'd have better luck elsewhere.

I saw my first physical reader today, in a Target, a Sony PRS 505. I was impressed with the eInk display. I later saw a PRS 700 in Borders--not so impressed.

Hmmm...

Todd
tmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Todd, glad to see you. Richard here. I have a Sony 505 and 700. The clarity of the 505 is better. The 700 has side lighting, which I like, and annotation and touch screen capability. I find myself using the 505 mostly. I got the 700 because I am an online college student and I like to download pdf's and put notes on them.
Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Welcome to Mobile Read Todd!
Have fun trying to choose the perfect device!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Todd, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome smilie mat.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	33034 to Mobileread.

Good luck with your decision making.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A warm welcome to MobileReader, Todd. You'll certainly get lots of advice here - not that that will make the decision process any easier .
Ahh, now I know the motto of this forum!

We are here to befuddle people's minds so they don't know what they want anymore!

(you see, that is what happened to me... I was set on buying the BeBook, and here I am, still e-ink readerless...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ahh, now I know the motto of this forum!

We are here to befuddle people's minds so they don't know what they want anymore!

(you see, that is what happened to me... I was set on buying the BeBook, and here I am, still e-ink readerless...)
It's called Information Overload and it's not pretty!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote