Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book of Fantasy shall we read in December?
Silverlock by John Myers Myers 3 16.67%
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 7 38.89%
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 8 44.44%
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness 2 11.11%
Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho 5 27.78%
Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee 4 22.22%
Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly 6 33.33%
Dark Hope (The Devil's Assistant Book 1) by H.D. Smith 3 16.67%
The Bees by Laline Paull 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it is an audiobook but none of the libraries I use have it as an audiobook. Also, Hoopla does not have it. So I'm not sure if I will reread. But I can make one comment now.

It should not be the book for December as it is not fantasy.
But at least it starts off sounding like a holiday tale.

Quote:
Chapter 2

A chair, a table, a lamp. Above, on the white ceiling, a relief ornament in the shape of a wreath....
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've completed the book and am looking forward to the discussion.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Me, too!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Not yet. Got started in the eBook, but decided I'd prefer to listen to it. And I'm still slogging my way through Weber's At the Sign of Triumph. But I hope to get some concentrated listening time with a couple of trips next week.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've got the audiobook cued up next, after I finish Wodehouse's Piccadilly Jim (which is delightful).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got the audiobook cued up next, after I finish Wodehouse's Piccadilly Jim (which is delightful).
Well, of course it is. It's Wodehouse! (Who's the reader?)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, of course it is. It's Wodehouse! (Who's the reader?)
My favorite Wodehouse reader of them all, Frederick Davidson.* But even the gods stumble occasionally; the New York restaurant is Del-MON-ico's, not Delmon-EE-co's. :wince: Still, his lifetime mispronunciation index is minuscule, mandatory for godly status.

*He's always Frederick Davidson to me, just as Wanda McCaddon is always Nadia May, real names be danged.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My favorite Wodehouse reader of them all, Frederick Davidson.* But even the gods stumble occasionally; the New York restaurant is Del-MON-ico's, not Delmon-EE-co's. :wince: Still, his lifetime mispronunciation index is minuscule, mandatory for godly status.

*He's always Frederick Davidson to me, just as Wanda McCaddon is always Nadia May, real names be danged.
Agree completely about "real names" here. Though for me, Ms. McCaddon is and always will be Donada Peters. And David Case is actually David Case, since that's what I first heard him as.

As for Delmonico's -- the only way I ever heard it in NYC was Del-MON-ico's. Not to say that's correct, but that's what New Yorkers appear to use. (Note: New Yorkers are no better at pronouncing names than any other jurisdiction. You should hear some of the things San Francisco natives do to proper place names. And I grew up in a town where there was a "GO-thee" street!)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

As for Delmonico's -- the only way I ever heard it in NYC was Del-MON-ico's. Not to say that's correct, but that's what New Yorkers appear to use. (Note: New Yorkers are no better at pronouncing names than any other jurisdiction. You should hear some of the things San Francisco natives do to proper place names. And I grew up in a town where there was a "GO-thee" street!)
The "when in Rome" rule always applies. You've got to say names the way the locals do. So New Yorkers are absolutely the authority when it comes to pronouncing local institutions, such as House-ton St. And ditto for San Franciscans. (I'm a native New Yorker who lived for several years in the Bay Area.)

OK, Go-thee makes me titter. In turn, I'll offer up one from the nearby State of Maine. Calais. You think you know how to say it?

Spoiler:
Callous.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You should see what they did to Cadieux street.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #41
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Listening to Prunella Scales reading Cranford I was jarred out of the story when she pronounced "Don Quixote" as "Don Quicks-oat" until I realized that it was the character pronouncing it that way.

As for local names, in Columbia, South Carolina we had a Huger Street that was pronounced "You-gee" St. and Horry County (where Myrtle Beach is located) is pronounced "Orry County"
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote