Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How many of us upgrade our readers because of new technology

Versus upgrading because your older one broke down, a forced upgrade?

I have never upgraded, thus far because of new technology. My first one was stolen, the screen of my second cracked, the directional keys of my third broke down and I was no longer able to do anything on it, the on/off button on my fourth broke and I was no longer able to turn it off/on and my fifth is almost a year and a half old and its doing quite well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I like the flexibility of an open Android OS, so I grabbed a couple of Nook STs while they were cheap. I might be tempted to buy another reader if I can root it and it has a good front-light. Oh yeah, and it has to be reasonably priced. I won't spend big bucks on tech since my new 650 died after 14 months.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
I have, but it has been more about my reading habits changing and upgrading the technology to suit.
I started off with the original nook. I know everyone hates on the color screen, but I really liked flicking through the covers. I was at home a lot so low battery wasn't a huge problem for me at the time. When I started working again, the low battery became an issue and so I upgraded to the ST. I was happy with that for over 2 years.
After my son was born, I started reading a lot more at night and booklights were just not doing it for me. I ended up going with the kobo glo.

I don't really see upgrading anytime soon. MAYBE if they ever come out with a color eink screen, but even then I'd be iffy on it.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Run'em till they drop

Faster is nice, but just about every new (dedicated reader) device has included a 'we know better' presentation feature that can't be fully disabled

Then there is the cost reduction feature, sold as an Improvement.
Eliminate those expensive/problematic buttons (switches) and further push 'Touch only' by eliminating other features (like any kind of audio on the K4NT. If my Astak can play a MP3 with only 10 selection keys and a slow ARM, the NT sure should).

Tablets are great for Manuals and charts, but they are heavy and have poor battery life. I see no need to use mine for the typical 'Great American Novel'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I often upgrade due to new technology. I have never broken a reader or tablet. Both my main current reading devices - iPad Retina Mini and Kindle PW2 - were bought because of technological improvements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have within the past few months but only because of bargains lol. I bought a Nook ST with Glowlight because I had wanted a lit ereader and Best Buy had a nice sale ($60), and got a vanilla Nook ST for my wife during the same sale ($40). I upgraded my Kindle Keyboard to one of the newer Kindle basics because Amazon had a one day sale on them a few weeks ago ($50). My Kindle Keyboard still works fine however and will be kept as backup.

Last edited by xg4bx; 03-20-2014 at 12:37 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have upgraded quite a bit, but unless something new and whizbang pops up, I'll probably stick with the units I have for the next few years.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I've upgraded before but I'm trying to get into the habit of not replacing simply because newer tech is out.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Ebook readers are pretty straightforward (for me) -- I don't need the latest technology to read text -- so I have only upgraded once, to replace a reader with a worn out battery.

I could have bought an after-market battery and replaced it myself, but decided to take advantage of the second-to-latest model closeout and bought a newer model to replace it. (Sony T1 when the T2s were just coming out.) However, I wanted the wi-fi and brighter screen, so with that in mind, perhaps I did upgrade for technology and not because I *had* to.

My other readers were in addition to and, except for the one that was a gift, were not intended to be readers at all. I just started using them that way.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The last upgrades were downgrades to me. Much less memory and no page turn buttons in return for a light I would have no use for. No thanks. For each of my tech upgrades I expect more memory not less.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm a bugger for upgrading but hopefully now I've finally got my iPad mini retina I'm going to stay static for a while. I've promised to sit on my hands for at least a year
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
My favourite reader is my PRS 350. It's not the fanciest, but it's easy to carry with me anywhere and it does the job. I've run around trying to pick up a few extras just in case something happens. The big issue for me is that I'm a dinosaur that loves the LRF format and I don't like EPUB. Everything gets converted to LRF and when the last of my PRS series machines dies, I just might die along with it..
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Once

I upgraded my first reader a Sony Pocket 300 to The Sony Pocket 350 because of how may more books it could hold and the touch screen.

I haven't changed since then and I've had it since Nov. 2010. I just ordered a new battery for it. It's only lasting a few days at a time now.

I do want a kindle PW for the night time reading capabilities.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Junnier
avant l'heure
Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How many of us upgrade our readers because of new technology

I got my first reader, a Kindle Keyboard 3G (formerly known as the Kindle 3 3G), when they were first available in my country -- mid-late 2010. That old girl's about to hit the four-year mark and she's still going strong. While I love the new (although it's not so new any more) frontlighting screen technology, as long as my lighted case (also hitting the four-year mark!) continues to work, I don't see myself upgrading to a Paperwhite just yet. Obsolescence and breakdowns are my motivators.
Junnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
My favourite reader is my PRS 350. It's not the fanciest, but it's easy to carry with me anywhere and it does the job. I've run around trying to pick up a few extras just in case something happens. The big issue for me is that I'm a dinosaur that loves the LRF format and I don't like EPUB. Everything gets converted to LRF and when the last of my PRS series machines dies, I just might die along with it..
What advantages does LRF have?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote