Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #151
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Does it need to be connected to wifi to list translations? thanks
No. All the dictionaries involved are on the device as part of the firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #152
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Thanks, I just remembered two more questions about the kobo user interface:

(1) Can you search a term across all of your books?(not just in one book) And the results would be a list of books which contain the term, and clicking on each book-result returns all instances of term in that book.

(2) Is there a good and functional(meaning you're completely satisfied with it and works as you'd expect) go-back function? In kindles there's a back button which always brings you back to the last page you were on, not just in books but also between searches and other menus. So say, if you're reading and find the name of a character you don't remember too well, you search for it in the book, then follow the links in the results which will jump throughout the whole book; and yet you never worry about losing your place or having to set a bookmark first: going back function never fails and works as expected.

thanks everyone.

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-18-2012 at 09:34 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #153
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(1) Can you search a term across all of your books?(not just in one book) And the results would be a list of books which contain the term, and clicking on each book-result returns all instances of term in that book.
No. You can search for title or author names in the library. Or you can search within a book while reading it.
Quote:
(2) Is there a good and functional(meaning you're completely satisfied with it and works as you'd expect) go-back function? In kindles there's a back button which always brings you back to the last page you were on, not just in books but also between searches and other menus. So say, if you're reading and find the name of a character you don't remember too well, you search for it in the book, then follow the links in the results which will jump throughout the whole book; and yet you never worry about losing your place or having to set a bookmark first: going back function never fails and works as expected.
I haven't use the search much, so I had to test it. The answer is yes.

I started a search by highlighting a word and pressing the search icon in the bar at the bottom. This brought up a a list of matches. Each match was two lines of text to show the context. Press a match to display the page with the search term highlighted. At the bottom of the screen is the search bar with: "Results" to return to the results list, left and right arrows with "x of y" to navigate between the matches, a return arrow to go back to where you were when you started the search and an X to close the bar and stay at the current page.

The search doesn't have to be started by highlighting a word. You can also enter a word.

This worked better than I remembered. Which makes me wonder if it changed with one of the firmware versions.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-19-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #154
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Actually, it's currently Spring!
Isn't it actually still summer in the northern hemisphere for another day or two, and winter in the south?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #155
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Isn't it actually still summer in the northern hemisphere for another day or two, and winter in the south?
My immediate reaction was that spring started on the 1st of September in Oz. But, I decided to check what the official dates are.

Apparently, the northern hemisphere prefers to start the seasons on solar events (equinox or solstice) but the southern hemisphere starts it at the beginning of the month containing that solar event.

This "Useless Fact" brought to you by Wikipedia and the desire not to do any real work.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #156
jsj
jsj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And as I'm surprised that no-one has asked, the dictionary popup states the source as "Miriam-Webster's English Dictionary". "Miriam-Webster's" seems to be the source for the translations as well.
Since I've only used Kindle's and not Kobo's, can you clarify on this? I'm gathering that if I tap-and-hold on a word, the M-W definition comes up (just like on a Kindle). But are you saying that I can tap-and-hold on a word that is in a foreign language and I'll get a translation? Without being connected to the internet? If so, what languages for translation are pre-loaded on the Kobo?

I can translate on the Kindle by tap-and-holding a word, then tapping "More" then tapping "Translate", but it requires an internet connection...
jsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #157
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj View Post
Since I've only used Kindle's and not Kobo's, can you clarify on this? I'm gathering that if I tap-and-hold on a word, the M-W definition comes up (just like on a Kindle).
Correct.

Quote:
But are you saying that I can tap-and-hold on a word that is in a foreign language and I'll get a translation?
At the bottom of the pop-up with the meaning of the word are two options: "Translate" and "Definition". Pressing "Translate" opens another window with the translation of word. At the top, of this window is a menu to choose the languages.

The pop-up also has arrows to scroll through the definition if it doesn't fit. The "Definition" option opens a bigger window.
Quote:
Without being connected to the internet?
Correct. I just turned the WiFi off to test just in case.
Quote:
If so, what languages for translation are pre-loaded on the Kobo?
My device has English to French, German, Spanish and Italian. Plus each of those to English. But, for various reasons, I can't tell you if that is the complete list or even the list that is on the device by default.
Quote:
I can translate on the Kindle by tap-and-holding a word, then tapping "More" then tapping "Translate", but it requires an internet connection...
Thanks for explaining that. I like to know how things work on other devices.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #158
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj View Post
Since I've only used Kindle's and not Kobo's, can you clarify on this? I'm gathering that if I tap-and-hold on a word, the M-W definition comes up (just like on a Kindle). But are you saying that I can tap-and-hold on a word that is in a foreign language and I'll get a translation? Without being connected to the internet? If so, what languages for translation are pre-loaded on the Kobo?
Yes. As I stated earlier in this thread (here), you can translate words from and to English in the following languages: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and I think I'm missing some. It does not require an internet connection.

When you select a word by tapping-and-holding, the dictionary pop-up comes up. In the bottom of the pop-up you can hit 'translate', and you can select any of the above languages to translate from or to.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-19-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #159
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Does the translation only work for kepubs or even side loaded books? Nice Hunger Games burn. I'm of the opinion that anyone who hasn't needed to use their dictionary function in 3 years is either a total genius or is reading too many comic books.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #160
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Translation and dictionary lookup works for sideloaded ePUBs and kepub books. At this time there are no localizations--people in the US, UK, NZ etc get the same English dictionary.

Last edited by taming; 09-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #161
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Does the translation only work for kepubs or even side loaded books?
To be honest, I don't know if the translation works for kepubs. I only read sideloaded epubs. The only times I have opened kepubs is to see how they work. All the tests I've described in my last few posts have been with sideloaded epubs.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #162
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
thanks a lot davidfor, for clarifying every little quirk of the interface, that's exactly the kind of stuff one doesn't easily find in video reviews and which is so difficult to check until you've had a device yourself.

I'm very much pleased with the dictionary and translation functionality you've been describing, the kindle 4 has nothing of it (there are only single language dictionaries, and it usually takes a lot of clicking and dodging with the 5-way controller to get a full definition. Kind of a bummer if you use the dictionary a lot).

The fact you can't search the whole collection of books may be problematic when reading series of books with lots of characters though. I don't suppose there's any way around that with the kobo, short of opening each book in the series and type->search the name of the carachter (?)

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #163
jsj
jsj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
thanks a lot davidfor, for clarifying every little quirk of the interface, that's exactly the kind of stuff one doesn't easily find in video reviews and which is so difficult to check until you've had a device yourself.
Agreed.

At this point, if the Paperwhite's capacitative touch screen just a huge leap forward, and assuming the front-lighting technology and resulting contrast are equal, and assuming the Kobo is just as comfortable to hold one-handed in Landscape orientation (how I prefer to read), I just may make the switch to becoming a Kobo user.
jsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #164
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You cannot read kepub or epub in landscape on the Touch. I have not seen anything in the adverts that suggests that you can use landscape to read those formats on the Glo.

Last edited by taming; 09-19-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: messed up names of devices
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #165
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
The fact you can't search the whole collection of books may be problematic when reading series of books with lots of characters though. I don't suppose there's any way around that with the kobo, short of opening each book in the series and type->search the name of the carachter (?)
If you really really really want this function, you could use Calibre's plugin (I forget its name) that bundles multiple books into one ebook. That way you could have all the books of the series in one ebook, and a single search from within that huge book would give you all the character info you want...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote