Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Touch Out of Stock in US

I know we all know that Amazon's got something on 9/6, but this may be more support for the idea of a front-lit touch.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/27/a...-out-of-stock/
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I know we all know that Amazon's got something on 9/6, but this may be more support for the idea of a front-lit touch.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/27/a...-out-of-stock/
I love this remark as to why from one of the posters to the article

Quote:
apple sueing them? thats my theory.

has thing in common. rectangle. touch screen and a little button on the bottom middle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle 4 is still in stock. I think Amazon plans on keeping that model without making any changes to it and will probably drop the price; possibly to $49 for the ad supported model.

It's a great bare bones ereader; and for its purpose, doesn't need improvement. A price reduction to $49 could be that "gotta get one now" moment for those who don't have an ereader yet.

That price point isn't unreasonable either. Walmart has already had the K4 on sale twice now for $49 ($79 + free $30 gift card); and Amazon recently had it on sale for $47.40 ($79 - 40% when using Amazon Visa Card).

Also, Amazon is pushing Amazon Prime again on their home page. So a promo tying in a Prime membership with a subsidized Kindle is always a possibility. Although they haven't done Prime promos before, they have done it with Audible. Sign up for a one year AudibleListener Gold plan and get $100 off select devices.

Prime and a Kindle is a great way to get people into Amazon's ecosystem.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quote:
apple sueing them? thats my theory.

has thing in common. rectangle. touch screen and a little button on the bottom middle.
I've been avoiding the Apple v Samsung stuff but
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Here's another good one from one of the posters.

Quote:
What! An over blown b&w Iphone copycat? There is a lawsuit for that...
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I've been avoiding the Apple v Samsung stuff but
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Here's another good one from one of the posters.
B&W iPhone - LOL

It's funny how people are responding to this Apple v Samsung thing. I was talking with a friend earlier today (he doesn't follow tech stuff that closely) and the first thing he asked me after reading about the verdict was - "so phones can't be rectangular?"

This isn't a clear PR win for Apple by any stretch of the imagination. It's a complicated case and the public at large is quite confused.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
the public at large is quite confused.
I have not seen any of that in newspapers.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
B&W iPhone - LOL

It's funny how people are responding to this Apple v Samsung thing. I was talking with a friend earlier today (he doesn't follow tech stuff that closely) and the first thing he asked me after reading about the verdict was - "so phones can't be rectangular?"

This isn't a clear PR win for Apple by any stretch of the imagination. It's a complicated case and the public at large is quite confused.
This. I like my iPhone and iPad, but come on Apple. Just chill a bit.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
If that's true AND, has landscape support, I'll buy one.

But no landscape, no purchase, at least for me.

Let's see what you got for me, Mr. Bezos.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I hope they improve the screen contrast in the next Kindle, specifically to make the background whiter....this is the only change that could convince me to upgrade....although color could do it also.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The Touch is out of stock, but they still have the better device.

My totally uninformed guess is that Amazon still has a boatload of Touch eReaders, and will unload them, in the US, at bargain prices, on Thanksgiving week. That's what they did with the Kindle Keyboard 3G last year.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I wonder if they will stop selling the Kindle Keyboard if they introduce a new ereader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I wonder if they will stop selling the Kindle Keyboard if they introduce a new ereader.
If so, I'm never giving mine up. I wouldn't be surprised--it would enable further 3G restriction--but I would be disappointed.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I hope not.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
If so, I'm never giving mine up. I wouldn't be surprised--it would enable further 3G restriction--but I would be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I hope not.
Well, it would be 2 generations behind. I wouldn't be surprised if they did stop selling it when the new models are introduced.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote