Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #331
LinuxReader
LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
@ Linux User, why not just build a Virtual Machine?
This is probably getting a bit off-topic, but my main objection is that, to be legal, I would have to buy a copy of Windows to install on the virtual machine.

Also, as JSWolf mentioned, I don't trust a virtual machine not to crash or pause unexpectedly during the update, which may or may not cause problems for the PRS-T1, depending on how Sony have implemented the update. For which reason, even if I were using a Windows PC, I would still rather perform the update by transferring the update file to the PRS-T1 and then initiating the update not connected to a PC. However this is probably just me being paranoid!
LinuxReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #332
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Surely the simple thing to do would be to find a Windows OS based PC and update your T1's firmware on that?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #333
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxReader View Post
For what it is worth, here is how I updated my PRS-T1 using only Linux:
Fantastic! This is precisely the sort of useful and helpful post I would expect from the forum community, rather than the prevalent 'Just use Windows' posts which are completely useless. (If people were in a position to use Windows I'm sure they would, instead of asking for help here).

Your post, LinuxReader, should be stickied to the front of a thread, as I'm sure this will help other people.

Made a wiki page detailing the steps here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #334
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
@ Linux User, why not just build a Virtual Machine?
You need a true Windows to make sure the USB port gets all the resources it needs. A virtual Windows can't assure that and there have been cases of the reader bricking because the firmware update didn't go well. Dual-boot Windows to do it so you don't brick because of the virtual Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #335
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
Fantastic! This is precisely the sort of useful and helpful post I would expect from the forum community, rather than the prevalent 'Just use Windows' posts which are completely useless. (If people were in a position to use Windows I'm sure they would, instead of asking for help here).

Your post, LinuxReader, should be stickied to the front of a thread, as I'm sure this will help other people.

It should also go in the T1 Tips thread as it is a very useful tip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #336
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post

Thanks for creatingthe wiki page. I also placed a link in the "Rooting and Tweaks" page, as LInux users are very likely to view this one, too.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #337
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Now that certainly is a great resource. Not only a wiki entry, but a sticky post as reference on the forum would be a good idea as well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #338
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Are you saying that with the help of Sony's support staff you succeeded in updating your firmware, but that within ten minutes it crashed anyway? If so then it does sound like faulty hardware that will need to be sent back; once the firmware is updated the question of Linux or Windows shouldn't matter.

1. Downloaded the updater file (PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE) from Sony's support site.
  2. Unzipped this file under Linux using the command:
    Code:
    unzip PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE
  3. Connected my PRS-T1 to my Linux PC with its USB cable (causing it to automount /media/SETTING and /media/READER).
  4. Copied one of the unzipped files (PRS-T1 Updater.package) to the /media/READER file system using the command:
    Code:
    cp 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' /media/READER/
  5. Waited for the copy to complete, and then unmounted /media/READER.
  6. Made sure the PRS-T1 had a reasonable charge.
  7. Disconnected the PRS-T1 from the USB cable.
  8. Powered down the PRS-T1 (a full power off to the blank screen).
  9. Held down both the home button and the menu button, and, while keeping them held, pressed the power button to turn on the PRS-T1.
  10. Waited until the PRS-T1 showed its boot screen, and then released the home and menu buttons.
  11. Waited for the update to complete, after which the PRS-T1 automatically rebooted.

My reader now reports itself (Settings/About/Device Information) as running version 1.0.03.11140, so the update appears to have worked for me.

Hope this helps someone, if not TerryAJ!
I wish these little things would be documented.... If I may ask, where did you get these instructions? (I'm not doubting it, I'm just curious how this info, which should have been in the readme, got out)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #339
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
rashkae -- sounds like he used his brain and figured out it works internally!

nice work LinuxReader, maybe this will help the rooting community to come up with more universal/cross platform ways to apply updated rooted firmware packages.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #340
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I've only used my T1 for about two hours since the update, but so far no issues. I'm really hoping it will stay that way because I LIKE it... how is everyone else doing??
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #341
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I read for a few hours yesterday while waiting for my car to be serviced and didn't have any problems at all.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #342
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
I have been updated for six days withs at least three hours reading every day. Again, I had at least six crashes a day.

No crashes since the update! I.love.my.T1!!!!!!!!

How is anyone else faring since the update? Hopefully you'll be as pleased as me.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #343
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am just at pleased as you are. So much so that I finally ordered a DecalGirl skin since I'll keep it now. For awhile I was debating if I should just buy a Kindle Touch and give up on Sony.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #344
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
I got mine the day the push the update. Never had a crash :] (Except when I was rooting, but that was my fault)
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #345
TerryAJ
TerryAJ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks Linuxreader, I'll try your update method next time. I used a mates windows box this time round and updated the firmware but it made no difference. Hopefully, Sony will get their act together and allow updates directly from the device in the future eh.

I did try vBox with an old XP VM but had trouble getting the USB device to see the reader.

I won't comment on JSWolfs (unhelpful) posts as I've already done so in another thread.

Basically, I got a lemon (shit happens) and it's at a Sony centre getting looked at as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks folks!
TerryAJ is offline   Reply With Quote