Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
glsteadman
glsteadman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Duplicating a Calibre Database

I'm trying to set up Calibre on a second computer. I've copied my original database, with all of its metadata, and pasted it into the new Calibre Library folder. The new program, however, does not see any of that data - none of it. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Anybody have any advice?

Thanks . . .
glsteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by glsteadman View Post
I'm trying to set up Calibre on a second computer. I've copied my original database, with all of its metadata, and pasted it into the new Calibre Library folder. The new program, however, does not see any of that data - none of it. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Anybody have any advice?

Thanks . . .
The procedure is simple - copy the entire library folder from the first computer to the second library, including the metadata.db file, then install Calibre on the second computer and point it to the copied library.
See here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id32
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
glsteadman

That's what I did, though I installed Calibre prior to copying the database. Just to be sure, I uninstalled Calibre and then installed it again. Same thing . . . all of the data is in the Library exactly like it was on the first computer, but the program still sees no books. To be certain, I ran the Welcome Wizard again, making sure it was pointed to the Calibre Library folder, but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help . . .
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
That's what I did, though I installed Calibre prior to copying the database. Just to be sure, I uninstalled Calibre and then installed it again. Same thing . . . all of the data is in the Library exactly like it was on the first computer, but the program still sees no books. To be certain, I ran the Welcome Wizard again, making sure it was pointed to the Calibre Library folder, but to no avail. Any other suggestions?
To show the books in the GUI, Calibre doesn't even need the books - it just needs the metadata.db. If you have that file on the new machine, and you have Calibre pointed to the directory that has that file, you will see books in the Calibre GUI.

If you don't see books, the first step would be to verify that you have the same metadata.db file in both places. Take a look at the file sizes. An empty metadata.db on the new computer would be smaller than the one in your original library. If they are different, just copy over the bigger one to the new machine. If they are the same size, then you probably don't have Calibre pointed to the correct folder.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
glsteadman

That's it . . . thanks very much for your help. For some reason the metadata.db file didn't get copied over when the books themselves did. I copied and pasted it and that immediately resolved the issue.

Thanks again . . .
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
That's it . . . thanks very much for your help.
You're welcome.