Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The Columbus Ohio Sony Style has a DISPLAY to play with, but doesn't have them in stock yet (and doesn't have a date yet for when they will).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
rammbam
Enthusiast
rammbam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well,i see you guys getting shipping date 3rd September or later,but what about Europe?
rammbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #18
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
WTF, I just check my order and the estimated ship date changed to the 24th form the 17th.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Which country do you live in. My US order still shows today as the ship date, but so far they haven't charged my CC. If it doesn't ship today the next earliest day will be Tuesday the 7th due to the holiday weekend. I guess we will see later today.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #20
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll be checking on Friday.
And?
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

My account still shows an expected ship date of Sept 3 (today), but it hasn't shipped and my CC has not been charged (except $1 to verify it). The Sony website still states, "Available on or about 09/16/2010." The guy on the phone when I ordered yesterday said it would ship on Sept 19. So there you have it, three dates but who knows which is correct. Well I guess we know Sept 3 wasn't correct.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My account still shows an expected ship date of Sept 3 (today), but it hasn't shipped and my CC has not been charged (except $1 to verify it). The Sony website still states, "Available on or about 09/16/2010." The guy on the phone when I ordered yesterday said it would ship on Sept 19. So there you have it, three dates but who knows which is correct. Well I guess we know Sept 3 wasn't correct.
Don't feel that bad... I called today again and the local SonyStyle told me that they don't get them until mid Nov!! Clueless...

Anyway... I want mine now!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #23
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The Columbus Ohio Sony Style has a DISPLAY to play with, but doesn't have them in stock yet (and doesn't have a date yet for when they will).
Grr, you make me feel silly for not checking if they were actually for sale. The Boston Sony Style store had the 350 and 650 on display. They didn't have the new, silver 900 yet, only the older, black model (on display).

I will have to admit, it seems like whatever made the touch screens all murky has finally been resolved. The touch-enabled pocket and "Touch" models had really nice, high contrast screens. Ironically, these new touchscreens seemed a bit less sensitive while handwriting. If you wrote too fast, it wouldn't track well. Slower use of the stylus seemed to help. I should have done a comparison with the black 900 but I didn't think to do it. I remember the older Touch reader being laggy, but precise. Maybe I'm forgetting. For typical navigation purposes or using the little onscreen keyboard, things were fine.

I broke my 505 some months ago (stupid accident), just a month or so before getting my iPad. The iPad (plus personal preferences) has deterred me from any other eInk readers, but these new Sony models have really caught my eye.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Interestingly, I also just noticed that the Sonystyle site has reverted the PRS-900 model that it shows in its listing of "view all" from the new, silver model to the old, black model. If you click through to "explore series" you can still get info on the new "SC" silver model, though. Well, actually, not much info. It's lacking specs and any substantive info. You get a nice "new" label and a photo of a silver Daily Edition, and a bunch of "coming soon" appellations.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
Interestingly, I also just noticed that the Sonystyle site has reverted the PRS-900 model that it shows in its listing of "view all" from the new, silver model to the old, black model. If you click through to "explore series" you can still get info on the new "SC" silver model, though. Well, actually, not much info. It's lacking specs and any substantive info. You get a nice "new" label and a photo of a silver Daily Edition, and a bunch of "coming soon" appellations.
I think the new 950 isn't supposed to be released until November, but the new 350 and 650 are supposed to be released soon. They did the same thing with the 900 when it came out, it was later in the year being released than the 300 and 600. And your right, CS is often clueless when it comes to release dates. The same was true with the Kindles. Every CS person someone asked gave a different date!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #26
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
Can anyone that has seen a display model tell me what they thought of the glare compared to the 300, 600 and 900?

Thanks
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #27
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I went to look at them Wednesday and thought the screens were very nice...they seemed to have the same "matte" appearance as the 300 or 505.

I did not have my 600 with me, though, and I intend to go back with my 600 and a memory stick to lay them side-by-side.

It was as someone has posted on one of the other threads - if you tilted it just right, you could get a shadow on the screen (same as the 300), but it doesn't have the glossy glass screen, so the reflectiveness isn't there.

My one caveat would be that Sony always puts these on display under brilliant white bright lights. I thought the 600 was great when I first got it, but at home with the more "yellow" light of home light bulbs, the screen was not half so nice (and the reason why I ended up buying a 300).

I think the screen is a strong improvement over the last one - I just can't say with 100% certainty that there's NO reflectiveness until I get one home!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI, my shipping status still displays yesterday (Sept 3) as the shipping date. I called CS to see what they had to say. Of course they are totally clueless and gave me the standard CS spiel about it will ship when it becomes available and that looks like Sept 16. "Available immediately" and Sept 16 don't seem to jive, but there is really no telling when the new readers will actually be available or start shipping. My guess is later than sooner. No big deal as I will get it when it gets here.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #29
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I also pre-ordered the new Sony PRS350 from SonyStyle, the Canadian branch. They have the silver model supposedly shipping on the 8th, according to their product's page.

However, current estimated ship date is "on backorder" in my account, so I'm not holding my breath!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #30
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hrm. I'll have to go back and poke around my store on Tuesday. Those of you that have seen them, does it really have one of those new "bookshelf" cover displays instead of the standard list form?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote