Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Suggestions for speeding up reading?

Hi all!

My new Kindle will be here tomorrow and I'm pretty pumped. I want to do much more reading than I've been doing in the last several years.

However, the problem I've always had with "doing more reading" is that read rather slowly. Even though I have to do a lot of reading for my profession, it's always very slow.

Does anyone have any suggestions of techniques or resources out there to help improve the speed of my reading? I'm not looking to be a speed reader, but just looking for help getting my slow reading speeds to increase a bit.

Any thoughts you might have, I'd appreciate! Thanks!
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Don't pronounce in your mind what you read with your eyes.
Don't read words, read sentences and paragraphs.
Don't move your eyes while you read, just fix them in the middle of the page and let your mind focus on the part you're actually reading.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Just a thought; if you like reading, and are enjoying reading for pleasure, why do you want to get it over with as soon as possible?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Just a thought; if you like reading, and are enjoying reading for pleasure, why do you want to get it over with as soon as possible?
Because pre-ereader days the average person probably had 2-3 TBR list. Come ereader that goes quickly to 200+

All seriousness I agree with TGS. If you enjoy it, why do some wish to rush it?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
If you need to move up your reading speed to enjoy reading more rather than devour books, my suggestion is to just read.

I have a friend who expressed the same sentiment as you. Several years ago, he decided to just read whenever he could. From being someone who never read a book, he became someone who reads several books a year. I saw his bookcase when I stopped by his house last week. He had shelves of books.

So, I think reading is the solution. You'll pick up the necessary skills. There are tricks, but practicing reading will help.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
babnaw
babnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Don't pronounce in your mind what you read with your eyes.
I do this and have tried not to, but how do you stop doing it? I know that is what slows me down when reading, but I can't figure out how to stop doing it.
babnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by babnaw View Post
I do this and have tried not to, but how do you stop doing it? I know that is what slows me down when reading, but I can't figure out how to stop doing it.
are you multi-lingual? if so, then you know how it is to understand word(s) without knowing exactly what they are. your brain should be able to get to this point.

once you HAVE an e-reader (and get as many free reads as possible) you will find yourself reading like mad! to the point where you need to back up and make sure you retained what you read.

read it. it will come
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Me either and I read pretty fast.

ebooks are different than pbooks and many people read slower on ebook readers.

I read fastest on my laptop, slower on pbooks, slowest on Sony reader.

I don't like reading books on my laptop although I can often read a book in an hour. Same length book pbook 2 hours, and probably 4 hours on reader.
(typically light reading 150 - 200 pages paperback format)

I only read fiction books on my laptop when the formatting looks bad on my reader (ie to much line spacing, too wide margins, justified and I have read half of it in bed and am thoroughly annoyed) By that time I don't even think of pronouncing the words perhaps.

Just a thought that perhaps if you switched back and forth between the reader and the computer on the same book or three, it might change your reading patterns.

It is a mindframe thing I think as one (or this one anyway) generally only pronounces spoken parts in their mind.

Regardless I am sure you will love your new reader and perhaps forget to worry about speed.

It is not about the books, but the pleasure and relaxation. I have always suffered from the too many books too little time syndrome and am gradually getting over it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
babnaw
babnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
are you multi-lingual? if so, then you know how it is to understand word(s) without knowing exactly what they are. your brain should be able to get to this point.

once you HAVE an e-reader (and get as many free reads as possible) you will find yourself reading like mad! to the point where you need to back up and make sure you retained what you read.

read it. it will come
I'm not multilingual, but I know what you mean. I'll keep trying.
babnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
My feeling is - if you are enjoying it, why rush? Stay awhile, put your feet up, relax, immerse yourself in another time, another place.

I remember quite awhile ago, I was reading an old book - The Awakening Land by Conrad Richter. I was enjoying the story and characters so much that I did not want the book to end. I savored it, reading it mostly on the train. I looked forward to the train ride and visiting with them once again.

But, if you're not enjoying it - there are so many other pages in the sea that you would enjoy - toss it overboard, row over to another and scoop it up.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Kindle Edition of Outsmart the Unexpected (Challenging and unusual dilemmas to solve your way out of)

Resources on Creativity, Creative Problem Solving, Thinking on Your Feet, and Decision Making
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Yeah, I don't want to rush the books at all. It's just that I also don't want them to drag on forever and ever.

It's interesting, I think at times the text formatting can really affect the speed at which I read. A few weeks ago I finished a decently-lengthed novel over the course of about a week. The text was a nice font, had some nice spacing and margins. Then I moved onto a different book whose text was really tightly spaced, small font, etc. I've been moving much more slowly in that book. And maybe it just feel slower because there's much more text per page.

I wonder if the ereader, with adjustable font and spacing options, will allow me to at least feel like I'm making progress where in a paper book I would feel like it was a complete waste of time to even try to start because I could never finish it. I guess we'll just have to see!
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Logiedan
Logiedan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
If you need to move up your reading speed to enjoy reading more rather than devour books, my suggestion is to just read.

I have a friend who expressed the same sentiment as you. Several years ago, he decided to just read whenever he could. From being someone who never read a book, he became someone who reads several books a year. I saw his bookcase when I stopped by his house last week. He had shelves of books.

So, I think reading is the solution. You'll pick up the necessary skills. There are tricks, but practicing reading will help.
This sounds like pretty judicious advice to me.
Logiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga;
It's interesting, I think at times the text formatting can really affect the speed at which I read.
That's one thing I love about e-reading--I use the same settings from book to book, so how quickly I go through a page is dependent on the writing style, content and external distractions, and not at all on how big the letters are or how tight the leading.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
I think at times the text formatting can really affect the speed at which I read.
I don't have an ebook reader yet, but I find that as well when reading things on the internet. Too small or too large a font and i'm bogged down having to concentrate too hard on the small text or else not able to grab big enough chunks of text because the words are in too large a font. I either leave the page or else end up trying to adjust the font or window size (if too wide).

I guess with an ebook reader, reading might be easier and flow better (faster) than with some print books because you can adjust the text size to your liking and comfort level.
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyDay View Post
I guess with an ebook reader, reading might be easier and flow better (faster) than with some print books because you can adjust the text size to your liking and comfort level.
I don't have an e-reader yet, either (my Kindle arrives tomorrow), but one use I can foresee for the adjustable text size would be to regulate reading speed -- smaller text for skimming, larger for close reading. (Maybe. We'll see.)
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote