Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
netsrak
netsrak began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad X, Sony PRS-T3
E-Book (Epub 3) from a story without chapters

There is no NCX any more in Epub 3 (except as fallback for older devices), instead there has to be a table of contents in xhtml-format now.
I often convert short stories without chapters into e-books, so they wouldn't need a TOC — there's a title page, the story and that's it. I try to avoid unnecessary files, if possible.

My first idea was to use the title page as TOC, because what constitutes the story is already there — the title. So i assigned the nav-property to the title (page). It worked, Sigil and Epubcheck found no errors.

Is there any "official" solution for one-text-books like that?
How would you do that?
netsrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
There is no NCX any more in Epub 3 (except as fallback for older devices), instead there has to be a table of contents in xhtml-format now.
I often convert short stories without chapters into e-books, so they wouldn't need a TOC — there's a title page, the story and that's it. I try to avoid unnecessary files, if possible.

My first idea was to use the title page as TOC, because what constitutes the story is already there — the title. So i assigned the nav-property to the title (page). It worked, Sigil and Epubcheck found no errors.

Is there any "official" solution for one-text-books like that?
How would you do that?
Your solution will break on my Kobo reading it as an epub3 (much like an epub2 with no toc.ncx). I would suggest just leaving the nav.xhtml file in place. It's not like it takes up all that much space.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert