Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I learned some more...

The stuff with USB EDL cables and D+ to ground is dependent on whether that is detected/supported in the SBL (secondary bootloader, known as xbl). I'll try to disassemble the Poke3 xbl and see what I can see. Mmm, it doesn't look like anything pays attention to the USB PHY... So, no?

OTOH, the "EDL test points" are supported in the PBL (primary bootloader) and is therefore always present. Whether that's broken out to an accessible place is a separate issue.

I have a Android command line utility for monitoring GPIO 57. If you have rooted Android running that would make it very easy to identify the EDL test points. OTOH, this is a bit logically circular.

If I had a Nova Air (even with broken/missing screen) this would be a lot easier to figure out.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #17
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know where you are, @nivieru but if I had dropped you some resistors in the mail you would have had them by now.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #18
nivieru
Enthusiast
nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.

Device: Onyx Nova Air, Onyx boox i86ml plus, nook simple touch
Sorry for the delay, didn't have time for messing with this this past week or so. But now I'm back.
Unsurprisingly, edl vable doesn't work. I've got resistors, what should I try with them?
Thanks
nivieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #19
Renate
Wizard

Resistors, two ways to use them: EDL test points or eMMC defeat.

EDL: check with voltmeter (like you did already) for two adjacent points, one at 1.8V and one very near 0.0 (could measure higher/noisier 0.1 or whatever). You need a resistor 100 to 3000 ohm. Bridge the two points with it. Do a LONG power press. Use USB utilities to see if something appears/disappears.

Pointless note: If your device was working and rooted I have a command line utility that will tell you if you've activated the EDL test points without having to do reset or anything. Shown: 2x activated.
Code:
Poke3:/ # /data/local/tmp/edlcheck
0 1 0 1 0 ^C
Poke3:/ #
eMMC defeat: You're trying to make the flash look like it isn't there. This is more difficult. You need a low value resistor 100-200 ohms. You are connecting the resistor between some random point somewhere near the eMMC chip (maybe a surface mount resistor) and ground. LONG power press.

Try the EDL first.

Tags
boot loop, novaair, root