Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 12-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Billbo
Billbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for iOS
DOCX to XHTML

Hello,

I guess this is the perfect trifecta for me. I am completely new to Python, completely new to the Calibre API, and this is my first post, so please be gentle :-)

After using Calibre, I found the conversion from DOCX to XHTML to be one of the best solutions out there. I would like to dig into this code a bit to see how exactly it works and perhaps even make some suggested improvements (specifically, I am looking at how lists are managed).

Being so new to the code base, I am not sure where to start. All the references I could find to the DOCX conversion seem to be configuration files for the plugin, not the actual conversion code.

Could someone point me to where the actual conversion from DOCX to XHTML lives? Also, it would be helpful to know if an external library is used to support this.

Thanks!
Billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Download the calibre source code and look in the docx folder, start with

docx/to_html.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the development guide, definitely the best place to start
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html

So the code that defines reading and writing DOCX would be in src/calibre/ebooks/docx/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Billbo
Billbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for iOS
Thank you. Unfortunately, I could not find the DOCX conversion process in the APIs which is why I asked, but I am sure it is just because I am new.
Billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The generated API documentation only covers the parts that people normally use in plugins or for news recipes.
You are going a little deeper than that.

But the development guide also explains how the source code is structured.
Not to worry -- questions aren't unexpected!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert