Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
vijer
vijer began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Sigil 0.9.9 freezes after search

If I preform a search and a match is found, Sigil highlights the match, then when
I try to click in the window to edit the text it takes about 10 seconds before Sigil reacts to the mouse click.

Also, clicking on any menu items displays the same behavior.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I'm running Windows 10 Build 17604 on a Lenovo T420 i7 8GB 1TB SSD.

Sigil is the only application that elicits this behavior.
vijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Could be dependent on the EPUB. Does this happen on every EPUB?

Or is this one very giant HTML file? That's the only time I've seen Sigil really chug.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
vijer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Could be dependent on the EPUB. Does this happen on every EPUB?

Or is this one very giant HTML file? That's the only time I've seen Sigil really chug.
Well it has happened with two files. I don't know what you consider really big. Both files are about 450kb in size.

There isn't any CSS formatting and only the cover image. There is one xhtml file for the cover and one html file for the actual publication.

If I edit the html file in Sublime 3 it goes quickly.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Run Mend XHTML on the one big html page and try the search again. Is the delay still apparent? Some html files have no newlines in the code and since Sigil does syntax highlighting and is a line based editor, it will be an issue. Running Sigil’s Mend on that html file will fix that.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
vijer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Run Mend XHTML on the one big html page and try the search again. Is the delay still apparent? Some html files have no newlines in the code and since Sigil does syntax highlighting and is a line based editor, it will be an issue. Running Sigil’s Mend on that html file will fix that.
That was one of the first things I did. But I did it again just to check. Same result; Sigil finds the desired text instantly but then trying to edit it takes several seconds for the editor to move the cursor from the search box to the highlighted text.
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I thought I may have noticed similar behavior recently myself (menus slow to respond, slow updates after a file rename, etc...). But I chalked it up to my old Windows machine and an omnibus epub. It wasn't consistently happening, but it did catch my attention as a bit odd--something I wasn't used to in the past under similar conditions.

I'll check it a little harder when I get a chance.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I am not seeing this on my Mac OSX Development machine with any epub I have tested with so I can not recreate this at all.

Would you please provide a test epub (in the public domain or pm to KevinH and DiapDelaer a private url) with the specific search query used. If we can recreate we can probably track it down.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I just took an omnibus and merged it so the text would be split into three parts:

1930s-1960s: ~2.6MBs
1970s: ~3.1MBs
1980s: ~740KBs

When you have the larger HTML files open in Code View, you can feel noticeable slowdown. Definitely opening/closing menus, and anything you click on becomes sluggish.

This is Windows 10, 64-bit, Sigil v0.9.9 (no funny business, just the official download).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I thought I may have noticed similar behavior recently myself (menus slow to respond, slow updates after a file rename, etc...). But I chalked it up to my old Windows machine and an omnibus epub. It wasn't consistently happening, but it did catch my attention as a bit odd--something I wasn't used to in the past under similar conditions.
The only reason I first jumped to the "large HTML issue" is because there were a handful of times I opened up hideously coded HTML files (think InDesign output), and Sigil was brought to its knees. I tend to open those in Calibre's Editor first, clean it up, then do my finalizing in Sigil.

I've noticed the sluggishness really creep in with HTML files that are >~2MB mark, and once they are split down into more reasonable chunks, Sigil handles them perfectly fine.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-01-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
The only reason I first jumped to the "large HTML issue" is because there were a handful of times I opened up hideously coded HTML files (think InDesign output), and Sigil was brought to its knees. [...]

I've noticed the sluggishness really creep in with HTML files that are >~2MB mark, and once they are split down into more reasonable chunks, Sigil handles them perfectly fine.
I notice this every time I open a book that has a single, large html file. VERY slow...until I split the file into smaller chapter-files. then Sigil works great!

It's not limited to a badly coded large file, either...any old large file will do.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote