Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Jessx
Jessx began at the beginning.

Device: None
Calibre library reader from a cloud

Hi,
I wanted to ask about two things, which I'm not sure I understood correctly.
1. Can I just upload the folder in which calibre stores the books to a cloud and the use it on another computer for calibre, ie to download from the cloud (mega) to the new computer and point calibre to it as its library and expect calibre to be able to read it, or is there a better advised way?
2. I want my phone to read my calibre library, but I do not want to store the books on it. Is there a way to do that from a cloud and which app would you recommend as the reader?
Thanks so much
Jessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use CalibreBox. It only works with Dropbox or OneDrive.

You just upload your Calibre library to the cloud then the app reads it off the cloud.

You will have to of course update the cloud version to keep it current.
My original Calibre library stays on my external drive and I back it up into Dropbox using a separate sync program.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 07-30-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Jessx
Jessx began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use CalibreBox. It only works with Dropbox or OneDrive.

You just upload your Calibre library to the cloud then the app reads it off the cloud.

You will have to of course update the cloud version to keep it current.
My original Calibre library stays on my external drive and I back it up into Dropbox using a separate sync program.

Sent from my XT1528

Just a few questions: is it possible to create a book mark with this app? I don't have to download any book to my phone unless I want to, do I? Can I save a calibre library book mark from my computer by saving the library, or is that not possible?
Thank you
Jessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you want calibre to save bookmarks then you need to run calibre server on your PC and use your phone to connect to it. The latest version of calibre server has a reader built in.
If you just want to read on your phone from a cloud drive like Dropbox you can use use the epub reader add-on in Firefox browser.

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessx View Post

Just a few questions: is it possible to create a book mark with this app? I don't have to download any book to my phone unless I want to, do I? Can I save a calibre library book mark from my computer by saving the library, or is that not possible?
Thank you
No. It's not an eReader. It's a browser or catalog app that reads your Calibre library's database file from Dropbox or OneDrive.
Once you download a book from it then the book will open in the eReader app you choose. You will need a eReader app installed on your phone to open the book. Any books you download will be on the phone till you remove them.

Many eReader apps offer syncing last page read, bookmark, notes to different devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert