Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #91
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yes probably, but I have seen way stranger faults appear from memory problems.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #92
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Yes probably, but I have seen way stranger faults appear from memory problems.
Once more likely causes are eliminated, it's a thought, but not one I believe is the problem at this point.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #93
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Also please upgrade to Sigil-0.9.8 if you can as it is much more robust to Windows changing the temp directory under it. In fact, one bug report had it changing the temp path with every single login which ran into troubles.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #94
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Also please upgrade to Sigil-0.9.8 if you can as it is much more robust to Windows changing the temp directory under it. In fact, one bug report had it changing the temp path with every single login which ran into troubles.
I updated more than a week ago, thanks. I was hoping the new version might not have the same issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #95
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Trane I wonder whether Microsoft's tool for recording screen shots could be helpful in showing the devs what you are doing? Take a look at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-record-steps
Problem with this is, I never know when it's going to happen. But as I've stated, I am going through the same basic motions all the time. So I don't believe it's related to particular actions I am taking.
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you gone into safe mode and worked from there in case it's an issue with something you run at startup?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #97
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you gone into safe mode and worked from there in case it's an issue with something you run at startup?
I only go into SafeMode upon threat of death. It screws all my desktop icons up. But FTR I have the system configured to start almost nothing at boot. Synaptics mousepad driver and Stickies (which I disabled last time this came up to make sure that wasn't it), and that's it. I run a lean machine. Makes for faster boot and I don't like programs using resources needlessly.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #98
Trane
Groupie

UPDATE

OK, Sigil crashed trying to place the second image of the day. Unfortunately, the dump didn't work. I must have done something wrong. I config'd the key to dump to C:\CrashDump but nothing there. Looked under AppData too... and searched for *.dmp but no luck.

EDIT: I looked in services and WER was set to manual and was not started. So started that and hopefully now it will work.

Last edited by Trane; 04-06-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
I only go into SafeMode upon threat of death. It screws all my desktop icons up.
FWIW - one of the things I've noticed about Win 10 is that it doesn't do that, it retains the screen resolution and leaves my desktop icons alone.

However, I only keep a few folder shortcuts (as drag drop targets) and a couple of symlinks to files (as reusable drag drop sources) on the desktop; no program shortcuts.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #100
Trane
Groupie

OK, Sigil crashed again and this time it deposited a dump file as directed. However the .dmp is 4MB! Opened with Metapad (warned it was a binary file but opened as text) lots of garbage (of course) and space with readable text sparse, and not being adept, couldn't gather much from it. Installed WhatIsHang... a program that runs in the background and detects a program when it hangs, supposedly giving info about the cause. Will try that now....

Last edited by Trane; 04-06-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just thought of something. When I got this laptop, Outlook 2016 crashed occasionally. It turns out there was a firmware updated what was needed to fix the problem with Office 365 and the 6th Gen Intel processors.

Maybe you need a firmware update.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #102
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW - one of the things I've noticed about Win 10 is that it doesn't do that, it retains the screen resolution and leaves my desktop icons alone.

However, I only keep a few folder shortcuts (as drag drop targets) and a couple of symlinks to files (as reusable drag drop sources) on the desktop; no program shortcuts.

BR
Nice. However W10 is something I won't ever install. Privacy advocate here. (No, W7 is no locked vault, but compared to W10 it's Fort Knox.) Don't want to be part of the cloud, opt out of everything, cookies disabled, scripts disabled, don't even do social networking, and I want complete and total control, and privacy, over my own computer. W10 is a fate worse that SafeMode.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #103
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just thought of something. When I got this laptop, Outlook 2016 crashed occasionally. It turns out there was a firmware updated what was needed to fix the problem with Office 365 and the 6th Gen Intel processors.

Maybe you need a firmware update.
I keep firmware to date and have the latest (which has not been updated by the manuf for some time).

I preen my computer like a pet.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #104
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
OK, Sigil crashed again and this time it deposited a dump file as directed. However the .dmp is 4MB! Opened with Metapad (warned it was a binary file but opened as text) lots of garbage (of course) and space with readable text sparse, and not being adept, couldn't gather much from it. Installed WhatIsHang... a program that runs in the background and detects a program when it hangs, supposedly giving info about the cause. Will try that now....
Great! That .dmp file can be read by windbg and VS debugger tools on Windows. I think there is also a minidump library for python.

I will pm you with my private home e-mail address. Please zip up that .dmp file and e-mail it to me. I will fire up my Windows 7 VM and try to debug the dmp file.

Alternatively, if you would prefer, we could start just with a backtrace from that .dmp file if you have WinDbg handy or the VS 2015 tools.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #105
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, a python 2.7 minidump.py program to dump the contents of a .dmp file to human readable form can be found here:

http://amnesia.gtisc.gatech.edu/~moyix/minidump.py

If you have python2.7 installed, you might get something readable by running it on your .dmp file.