Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
arfarf624
arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3 (ads)
Your kindle has 3 GB capacity, how is yours filled?

I have 2871 mb free
with 170 books and a few active content items
I think having so many makes the menu screen and other things load slower

How much space is filled on your kindle? and how many books etc
The only way I can think of filling up the kindle is with audiobooks and maybe custom screen savers. If you have enough books to fill 3gb, the kindle would run like a 1980 computer

Side question: for custom screen savers, does the picture have to be black and white, or can it be color?(yes I know the kindle doesn't do color)
Why do people bother to grayscale their pictures?

Last edited by arfarf624; 07-21-2011 at 11:34 PM.
arfarf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have 2,967 MB Free, with 106 items including 1 audio book, 14 apps, and the rest ebooks.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I have 1969 MB free. Got about 500 books, half of them read, 8 games

Most of it is music that I listen to while reading. I have about a half-dozen radio shows, 2 hours each, so that's like a gigabyte there (about 160 MB each)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I recently got up to 1000 books and still had space left, but menu operation was super-slow and I had crashes. I had to wipe it and start again. I now have just under 500 books on it, and it's working like a dream. I think I would aim to keep it at 500 or less from now on :-) It's a shame since it has way more space, but it does seem to get unstable once you hit the threshold of about 1000 books.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
I have 1600 MB free and I have no idea how many books I have. Quite a lot apparently. I have no audio files on Kindle. I haven't really thought but the device seems more sluggish than in the beginning with only few books loaded. In general I am deleting books that I have read except dictionaries and those books that I think would be nice to read again.

In any case, a lack of SD card slot in e-reader is not an issue as 3 GB space is enough for most users. Wi-Fi is more important feature to have but it should be more open from the very beginning. Users should be able to load their own books directly via Wi-Fi without e-mailing or using USB cable and without jail-breaking etc.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
When I first got my Kindle I put all my books on it, started arranging them in collections etc. After awhile I found it to be a pain to keep so many books on it, more then I would ever read. Now I only keep the books I am currently reading on it, I think I have two books on it at the moment.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
2,959 MB free

Probably around a seventy titles, plus some maps for fantasy books. Most of it is free classic stuff from Project Gutenberg. I like Ron.'s idea, although I think I'd keep a few things around as favourite reads.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I did some major house cleaning the other day. I neglected to look at space used... But, after removing a good 400 or so books, I've only got about 45 or 50 left on mine currently. 15 or so are "must-haves" for all times, and the rest are on the reading queue.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf624 View Post
Side question: for custom screen savers, does the picture have to be black and white, or can it be color?(yes I know the kindle doesn't do color)
Why do people bother to grayscale their pictures?
Yes, you can use a color picture. People change the pics to grayscale because it reduces the file size significantly.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My Kindle only has 1.5 GB

... and I think I have four books on it at last count.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I have 2581 MB free and 469 items. About 8 of those are active content (games), no audio books. I also find that my K3 has slowed way down when navigating to the main menu (though it's just as fast when I'm paging through a book).
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
2492mb free. I delete all the read books on kindle... so I still have a huge TBR list. Menu takes about 1-2secs to load. A noticeable delay compared to an empty kindle.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I threw on around 500 books. Love my K3, but can def see where people mention slowdowns with too much stuff on there. The processor/UI is just not up to snuff for mass loading of content IMO. And just for fun I threw on like 100 favorite mp3 tracks but the experimental player is a major FAIL so they are just taking up space [and have not had time to look into alternate music player software for K3 yet].

4GB for ebooks is pretty ginormous IMO - I would hope for a vastly improved UI and processor for the next Kindle version.

OT, but I personally would go in a heartbeat for a new Kindle with:
- sexy metal frame and buttons
- no keyboard [replace with on-demand soft-screen keyboard but keep similar form factor]
- faster processor [which would go a long way towards making the UI snappier]
- uSDHC support
- halfway decent audio chipset and usable software player logic/GUI

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
2.01 mb left. I have 581 books and 12 audiobooks on there.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have 1,810 MB left. There are currently 934 books on my Kindle. Some of those are "vooks" (video books), which take up a lot of real estate. I'll probably be archiving those soon, since the Kindle can't display video anyway. I have Calibre on my computer, and I should probably learn how to use it so I can reorganize and store more books off-Kindle.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote