Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Hundreds of millions play those first person shooter games with no problem. Me, I get motion sickness when I play them. It’s a real problem for me...but not a general problem for the population at large.
Not just shooters.
Some people, me included, find First Person RPGs troublesome.

I found a solution by changing my console gaming from a sitting to a reclining position, which centered my line of sight with the game camera. For me at least it was the vertical alignment that made the motion feel...wrong...
For PC gaming I just raise the monitor to a similar result.

I think it is related to the vestibular mismatch behind VR dizzyness and headaches. Our bodies prefer it when our vision aligns with our physical senses, some are more sensitive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
cell phones only became widely available in the mid 1980's. Not sure how much later before widely used. Wait for the current crop of people who started using them in their teens or before to reach their 80's and compare macular degeneration and cataract percentages VS previous generations at that age. Too soon by several decades to tell if there will be any difference.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
cell phones only became widely available in the mid 1980's. Not sure how much later before widely used. Wait for the current crop of people who started using them in their teens or before to reach their 80's and compare macular degeneration and cataract percentages VS previous generations at that age. Too soon by several decades to tell if there will be any difference.
Right.
And too soon to be talking of a generational "screen fatigue" favoring paper.
A lot of the carping is fumbling and hype.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I suspect you are right.

For now, all we can really do is use whichever device is comfortable for our own eyes.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
But cell-phones aren't shining any different kind of light in users' eyes than PCs. The notion that we have decades yet to "wait and see" doesn't hold water in my opinion. There have already been millions of sets of eyes staring at the same kind of light put out by cellphones (for hours on-end per-day) for decades. We don't need data provided by eyes that have had decades-worth of cell-phone screen-time exposure. There's nothing new there. There's more than enough data to know right now. And in my opinion, the silence on actual scientific evidence supporting "damage" is quite deafening.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-17-2020 at 10:52 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But cell-phones aren't shining any different kind of light in users' eyes than PCs. The notion that we have decades yet to "wait and see" doesn't hold water in my opinion. There have already been millions of sets of eyes staring at the same kind of light put out by cellphones (for hours on-end per-day) for decades. We don't need data provided by eyes that have had decades-worth of cell-phone screen-time exposure. There's nothing new there. There's more than enough data to know right now. And in my opinion, the silence on actual scientific evidence supporting "damage" is quite deafening.
You would think that there would be studies/historical data?

I looked at this page:

From 2000 to 2010, low vision increased from 2,359 to 2908, 23%.

The US population increased from 282 to 309, 10% (this is from a different page).

So the discrepancy is attributed to other things like obesity, diabetes, ...?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So the discrepancy is attributed to other things like obesity, diabetes, ...?
That's a little misleading. Diabetes and obesity have always been large contributing factors to vision issues. They don't qualify as merely "other things." They very well could be the right things to attribute it to. Did you check to see if an increase in diabetes and obesity more closely matches the increase in vision loss for the same period? I would be very surprised if diabetes and obesity hadn't ballooned at least as much as vision loss in that same time frame. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck; quite often it IS a duck.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a little misleading. Diabetes and obesity have always been large contributing factors to vision issues. They don't qualify as merely "other things." They very well could be the right things to attribute it to. Did you check to see if an increase in diabetes and obesity more closely matches the increase in vision loss for the same period? I would be very surprised if diabetes and obesity hadn't ballooned at least as much as vision loss in that same time frame. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck; quite often it IS a duck.
I didn't mean to dismiss "other things", I think I meant the opposite. I had read that diabetes and obesity had ballooned, so I thought that if "other things" contributed to low vision, than it would show in the data, so the effects of displays could be ruled out?

I am not a statistician, so I expect other people to crunch the numbers.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
My HMO says that I need to have a diabetic retina scan every year.....nothing about about reading on the "wrong" type of screen.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #25
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I didn't mean to dismiss "other things", I think I meant the opposite. I had read that diabetes and obesity had ballooned, so I thought that if "other things" contributed to low vision, than it would show in the data, so the effects of displays could be ruled out?

I am not a statistician, so I expect other people to crunch the numbers.
Statistics "lie" as presented. The statements are based on a bell curve & at a specific part of the curve. Incidents that occur pass the curve band in either direction are "ignored as non-existent" or lying.

Findings are more likely based on what the people doing the studies want to see & accumulate evidence to support their ideas to get more fund money. Coffee was bad; now Coffee is good for the heart. Chocolate was bad but dark chocolate is good for the heart. Alcohol is bad but white wine helps the heart.

What "studies" do we want to follow & what time frame? How do you convince ant-vaccine people to get vaccinated for the flu, measles, etc?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Light is light.
The issue wouldn't be about LED light or polarized LCD light.
But it might be focal length.

Throughout most of history human vision was focused at a distance for most of the waking day. Craftmen might work at short or medium distances and clerics at short distances but the bulk of the population tended to see things afar.
Then books and craftmanship propagated and over thelast two centuries the use of glass, especially among the young, has propagated. Some is due to better diagnostics, better medicine, some is due to changed behavior, and assigning causality is far from certain.

The open question is how much is due to what.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-17-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I can't read books on LCD. I love me E-Ink!

I think the continued existence of e-ink and e-readers is proof that A LOT of readers have the same experience as me.

Unless we're all lying
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I hate to ask, but what are we talking about? Are we talking about blindness, headaches, somewhere in between?

I'm concerned about comfortable reading, and I don't want to damage my eyes.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The only proven physical impact of screen viewing is eyestrain from the extended fixed focus of the eyes, which is why breaks are recommended to allow the eye muscles to reset. The same effect comes from extended longer distance focus (i.e., driving). Both are temporary. Lighting type has nothing to do with it. Lighting intensity has some effect.

Well, that is reassuring. I hope that the other major belief about what causes blindness has been disproven?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Light is light.
The issue wouldn't be about LED light or polarized LCD light.
But it might be focal length.

Throughout most of history human vision was focused at a distance for most of the waking day. Craftmen might work at short or medium distances and clerics at short distances but the bulk of the population tended to see things afar.
Then books and craftmanship propagated and over thelast two centuries the use of glass, especially among the young, has propagated. Some is due to better diagnostics, better medicine, some is due to changed behavior, and assigning causality is far from certain.

The open question is how much is due to what.
That's all fair. I just take issue with the "not enough data yet to say" crowd. There's more than enough data (over more than enough time) on eyeballs, light, devices, and focal-length to "say." We don't need to wait decades more to determine whether or not "damage" is being done to eyes. The problem is that "saying it" (one way or the other) definitively/scientifically/medically is not something that's in either (commercial) side of the Damage Divide's best financial interest. Treating people's conditions and keeping more screens in front of more eyeballs puts a lot of food on a lot of tables.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.