Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
aluisscp
Enthusiast
aluisscp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Grey text in book, Black text in menu

Hi again!

Reading during the day with the light on it becomes very evident that the text is somewhat grey... The thing is that in the menus the titles are so much darker than the book text itself. I have changed the font multiple times without fixing it.
Is there a patch that makes the text show the darkest possible in books, since the device is capable of showing a wide gradient of grey maybe it's not set as default to be 100% dark.

Thanks!

PS: neither weight or size improved it as well
aluisscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
tintin42
tintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura, ipad air, iphone 5
I see the same thing here. One way to make the text blacker is to set the refresh to every chapter and after reading a few pages the regal waveform refresh leaves enough black 'residue' in the lines to make the text blacker. That being said, I am also very much interested in a proper way to make the text black and not grey.
tintin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluisscp View Post
Hi again!

Reading during the day with the light on it becomes very evident that the text is somewhat grey... The thing is that in the menus the titles are so much darker than the book text itself. I have changed the font multiple times without fixing it.
Is there a patch that makes the text show the darkest possible in books, since the device is capable of showing a wide gradient of grey maybe it's not set as default to be 100% dark.

Thanks!

PS: neither weight or size improved it as well
Is this over multiple books or in a single book. I've seen a couple of books where the text had a colour associated with it which is rendered as a shade of grey on the eInk screen. My answer has been to edit the affected ebooks to remove the colour setting. Look for lines in the stylesheet or in the epub files themselves that look like "color: #008000;" or color="blue". A setting such as color: #000000; is the same as setting the color to black and is really unneeded.

If this happens on multiple books, you might want to try changing to a darker font. Check for JSWolf's Charis SIL CompactLarger font in the Modified Fonts sticky or download it from http://www.mediafire.com/download/ga...r+-+Hinted.rar. Close to a semi-bold font which works well on Kobo's ereaders. This variant also has hinting useful for smaller font sizes.

Check the modified font sticky for more on installing fonts if you are not already familiar with the process.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-03-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added suggestion about different font
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
To get darker text you need to select a bolder text with wider lines forming the text. The blacker text you like in home page menu is a bold text. There are many different degrees of bold. Those members here at mobile read that like darker text use Calibre Edit Book or other tools to format books to use darker text. There are many threads here in Kobo Reader forum telling how they formated books without DRM to use bolder text. Kobo editor forum should also help you. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

This weekend I was reading this forum on my android tablet and most of it was very readable bold text but some posts was regular text that was a little harder to read.

Last edited by filmo; 09-03-2014 at 04:05 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
All good suggestions above, but may not get you exactly where you want. I know I've seen blacker blacks during page turn or other spots like that and as far as I know it's not possible to get the really, really black that is apparently possible on the screen. Not sure what the physical/engineering reason for not being able is, but you're not dreaming that it seems like it should be possible.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert