Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermidas View Post
@BetterRed
I installed One Drive and copied the library there. It is syncing now. But every time I do some editing in the library metadata, I need to copy everything back to that folder. It is a clumsy process.

@eschwartz
I tried that, but The location needs to be an local HDD location, not a cloud location.

@itimpi
I did that. It working but I don't like the process of copying everything to and fro.
Well, I guess that would explain the problem. How exactly is calibre supposed to access files that don't exist, I wonder?

Just leave your library in OneDrive. If you want to get fancy, use a sync program to mirror your library into OneDrive.

Quote:
@PeterT @theducks
Good god!!! With so much of manpower going into development of GUI, why bring those painful command lines back!! I could never remember anything apart from 'MAN' to get the manual open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because sometime the command line is easier to do what you want than a GUI.
Amen! To each his own...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@BetterRed
I installed One Drive and copied the library there. It is syncing now. But every time I do some editing in the library metadata, I need to copy everything back to that folder. It is a clumsy process.
@Cybermidas - You could move the library folder into the Onedrive folder - but if you do that I would recommend you stop Onedrive synching whilst you're using calibre and restart it when you're done with calibre. Running calibre whilst OneDrive/Dropbox etc are syncing has caused some people, some problems.

Or you could use something like Free File Synch (FFS) to mirror the library to the OneDrive folder at your convenience - after first run, it will only copy what's changed so it's normally pretty quick - you could schedule it to run on shutdown or startup.

If you download FFS (it's at Sourceforge) watch out for the PUPs

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #18
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
@BetterRed
Thanks. That is a great idea. But pray, who or what is PUP???

@eschwartz
I was thinking about periodically deleting the folder in onedrive location and copy back the latest folder structures from caliber over there. Will it create multiple copies of the same book. Assuming the metadata has has not changed, it should consider it as same file.

What do you think?

@JSWolf, @theducks, @PeterT
May be I would like command line too if I could remember the commands.
Cybermidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Cybermidas - PUP - Potentially Unwanted Program (aka Grey(mal)ware)

See ==>> Malwarebytes | PUP Criteria

For FFS install use Advanced install option and read the "do you want this garbage" messages carefully, they are often perversely worded.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-31-2015 at 10:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@JSWolf, @theducks, @PeterT
May be I would like command line too if I could remember the commands.
no need
at the C:>
Help for a list

then Help <command from the list> for the switches and other usage options

for other programs: (the usual)
<program_name> -help or /help
<program_name> ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 AM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@eschwartz
I was thinking about periodically deleting the folder in onedrive location and copy back the latest folder structures from caliber over there. Will it create multiple copies of the same book. Assuming the metadata has has not changed, it should consider it as same file.

What do you think?
What I think is that you are wasting valuable minutes of your life doing something by hand when any file syncing program can do it automatically. Not only that, the sync program can save time by just updating/deleting/adding and leaving alone the files that haven't been touched.

But yeah, it'll work.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
@eschwartz

True dat! Will try that too.

@theducks
Thanks friend. Will try that.

@BetterRed
There are a lot of garbage and I think is written in legalese. Will ask my lawyer friend to take a look if it is secretly trying to buy my soul!!
Cybermidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
@BetterRed
There are a lot of garbage and I think is written in legalese. Will ask my lawyer friend to take a look if it is secretly trying to buy my soul!!
Don't joke, it's happened.

Really!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Why not use syncback free from 2brightsparks http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware?
No PUPs, no adware, no nothing. Good program. Lots of possibilities and free. And updated regularly.
Have fun syncing.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote