Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #31
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I've owned a 6", a 6.8" and an 8". The 6.8" is a bit bigger than the 6" and quite nice. The 7.8" is a more noticeable jump. So I would say Yes, the larger size is significantly different from 7". 7.8" is entering mini-tablet area. I like it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
If You ask: "how an I change the font o my ereader?"

You will receive 10 answers that will explain to You the complete history of ereader since 2005 until now and 10 RTFM answers.
Only since 2005?

DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
AZBronco
AZBronco began at the beginning.

Device: Kbo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Joe, I use a Clara as I'm not interested in a larger than 6"screen. But:

I buy all my books from Amazon and read them on a Kobo. The initial setup might sound cumbersome (reading about it is worse than the process actually is), but once you have it set, it is a simple process to download new Kindle books with Kindle for PC, import them into Calibre and convert them. Once everything is done, downloading and moving a book takes something like 10 seconds.

A bonus to importing your books is you can leave WiFi off all the time and that will save you some battery.

I plug my Kobo into my PC a couple of times a week to add new books and that is the only charging I ever do on it.
  1. To download a book from Amazon, I use an old version of Kindle for PC. Amazon changed their format from .azw3 to .kfx and it is harder to work with. Kindle for PC 1.17 still works and will download .azw3 files (just make sure you turn off auto updating which is enabled by default). You can get Kindle for PC 1.17 here: FileHippo
  2. Install Calibre (if you don't have it already): Calibre
  3. Add the Apprentice Alf plug-ins: Alf's blog

That should be it.

If you move ahead with buying the Forma, you might find yourself enjoying a lot of little tweaks and extras the Kobo firmware offers. For one thing, you can long press on a book cover and read the synopsis without opening the book.
Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered a Kobo Libra H2O and was wondering if there was a way to transfer my Kindle library. My new reader hasn't arrived, but it seems like everything worked so I should be able to side load those books when it gets here.
AZBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered a Kobo Libra H2O and was wondering if there was a way to transfer my Kindle library. My new reader hasn't arrived, but it seems like everything worked so I should be able to side load those books when it gets here.
I follow a similar procedure to ZodWallop's but instead of using Kindle for PC I go to their web page where my library is, Manage Content and Devices or Your Content and devices. On that page the Actions column has a button with an ellipses; click on that and select Download & transfer via USB. On their preferences page for the default device to send to I have it set to their cloud, so it doesn't try to send it to my Kindle (whose wifi is off). I've never tried Kindle for PC so I have no idea if that method is more convenient; old habits die hard as they say.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Only since 2005?

Want the real history? see eBooks in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #36
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Want the real history? see eBooks in our wiki.

Dale
I want the Fiske Reading Machine!!!
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #37
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I want the Fiske Reading Machine!!!
To go with your wind-up Victrola?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #38
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I had to search with Google to understand what is wind-up Victrola. But well: the Fiske Reading Machine and the wind-up Victrola could be used in a steampunk book.

and of course (just a little)
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
To go with your wind-up Victrola?
Do I need another article on the history of audio books? I have a childhood record of Bambi to use.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo forma, oasis 2017