Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Paperwhite 1 vs paperwhite 2

I have a perfectly good PW1 bought in June 2013. Would it make sense to upgrade to a new PW2? Forget the Voyage, I went thru three of them and could not live with the darker top part of the screen. Thanks!
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't think so, it will cost you $100+, to basically get a faster CPU.

EDIT: And the carta display, I guess.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-11-2014 at 12:44 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... And double the storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... And double the storage.
True.

Depending on the exact model; but a new one should have the upgraded storage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The Paperwhite 2 is not so much faster (I have both). The Kindle Basic 2014 is my new favorite - it's so fast (even in comparison to the PW2) and has more memory. And it's cheaper.

If you require the front light you might think about the Voyage. Or if you want to save your money just keep the Paperwhite 1.

Last edited by joblack; 11-11-2014 at 07:15 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The PW2 is really not much different than the PW1, even having double the storage and the carta screen I would say no.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
I have a perfectly good PW1 bought in June 2013. Would it make sense to upgrade to a new PW2? Forget the Voyage, I went thru three of them and could not live with the darker top part of the screen. Thanks!
Ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers, only you can decide if the PW1 you have will do until the next interation of the Voyage. Personally I would upgrade to the PW2 but thats just my opinon. But that does depend on how good a PW2 you get. If you do want the extra storage then my advice would be to buy it from Amazon as the retail stores may not yet have the 4GB devices.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
I upgraded and I'm very glad I did. For me the difference was enormous. YMMV
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Thank you all. I only thought of upgrading because I thought the screen lightning or contrast was much much better in PW2. As for speed or storage space I don't need more.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all. I only thought of upgrading because I thought the screen lightning or contrast was much much better in PW2. As for speed or storage space I don't need more.
I consider the screen and the contrast much much better over PW1. That, however, is a very subjective thing.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Do the new Kindle Paperwhites have 4GB of storage?
The Amazon page, unbelievably, does not seem to provide this info. "Thousands of books" is not a very specific description..
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
Do the new Kindle Paperwhites have 4GB of storage?
The Amazon page, unbelievably, does not seem to provide this info. "Thousands of books" is not a very specific description..
Yes the PW2 has but only if you buy it from Amazon. Retail stores 'may' have the 4GB but it depends on how old their stock is.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think if you ask 10 people, you might get 6 answers. Maybe even (on a hot, sweaty day 6.5 answers).

The PW1 was 'cursed' with a rainbow-colored screen. Some people didn't object. Some people had no problem. Some people were happy.

The PW2 mostly solved the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow' effect of the screen.
Mine was perfect. Perhaps Billy or Sally's screens were still bad. Or maybe improved.

I'm still happy.
Some people are not happy.

[Note: This is an experimental computer-generated "ambivalence post."]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Thanks! This is helpful.
I bought the Voyage and just received it, but am reconsidering, for a number of reasons. I may return it and just upgrade to the new PW.
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
Thanks! This is helpful.
I bought the Voyage and just received it, but am reconsidering, for a number of reasons. I may return it and just upgrade to the new PW.
I did the same exact thing and was not (all caps) disappointed. Cheers and enjoy!