Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #136
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindles View Post
Does duokan read the metadata of our books, or do we have to enter the author manually on the firmware?
No sure answer, just use the opportunity to mention that something appears different in how you add books. Example, I made a folder with the authors name, moved the book inside with the cover I used from Calibre. This fixed something.

On my *special edition* I have the menu entry book info, and you see the page here. Pictures and description doesn't work - or not sure how it should work. I'll test ranking, while my menu translations are a bit crippled... what does your editions come up with ?

In the last screenshot, ( the Catg, the Na for author in the menu, are my mistakes - well in *my special edition* ALL menus are my mistakes ) but each element can be edited in a nice and quick way. I gave the book a 3 star rating, changed the category to chinese ( a folder I have created ) I suppose that I may give the book a password for opening - did not try it, as I have not read the book yet. Publisher, Year, and Description - cannot be edited in my version, and may be part of their bookstore system.

btw. when setting stars, it is a scroll-box, just like their marvelous date and time settings. It is soo neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109100255.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	60898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109100043.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	60899   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109102518.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	60900  

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-09-2010 at 04:55 AM.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #137
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

@mrzerga

I'll attached the install script from /DK_System/install/install.sh

Here you see that the bottom part is remarked out, compared to yours. This is of course as it should be, as you are not unpacking anything.

I do hope that 'Mr.NiLuJe Wizard' or some of you other experts here may answer this a bit. AFAIK, if those visible parts is deleted, it would not attempt to start up anything. So, the worry here seem to be any evidence that one has tried to run something other then Amazon ?

It should be easy to use this script as guide for removing these named files. I don't think they cause any harm if present. They don't take up much space, - but in my view, the duokan system is not an entirely independent system. Which may be the real bonus here, as it may open the pandora's box. There are some computer games and other stuff you may download, it could seem like, but I don't read chinese.. so ..

I'll may add some comment here when I know a bit more about the content, or hopefully some of the experts jump in here.

!! Oh my god, they telnet some extraterrestial starships with those dangling files ! Duck, keep your heads down !
Attached Files
File Type: txt install.txt (1.1 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-09-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Update
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #138
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Frankly, from the few cursory glances I've taken at the shell scripts, it's a bit of a mess, there's stuff thrown all over the place... (a plaintext logfile in /dev, really? >_<")

So, yeah, a *real* uninstall script would be nice to cleanup all this stuff.

I could whip up a quick uninstall script, but since most of this is closed source, I don't have any way to check that there isn't something else thrown on the sysfs by some of the non-shell script parts...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #139
FethryDuck
Addict

Thanks NiLuJe,

A bit like some left icons on the desktop, huh ? Sure, it is not tidy, but it does not seem like doing any harm either.

Quote: "it's a bit of a mess, there's stuff thrown all over the place.." Thieves you know ? - what can you expect ? A bit of smoke too, perhaps ? And there are some Microsoft stuff as well..

Well, I have to look at it some more.. as perhaps one day I will say - AHA !
Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #140
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
There any way to change/force the encoding it uses to open books?
It seems to default to like ISO-8859-1

ISO/IEC 8859-2, would be much more appropriate in most cases with European accents and whatnot being in many English texts.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #141
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is anyone else having this problem? After installing Duokan, when I go back to Kindle 3 firmware, when I select a book it no longer goes to the top of the page as it usually did - sort "By Most Recent First" but rather goes to a different part of the order - say instead of going to the first book in the list it goes to the ~ seventh book???

And when I remove a book from a collection, it disappears but when I check the Kindle Drive, there it is.

Last edited by SunLight; 11-09-2010 at 06:12 PM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #142
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@FethryDuck: Yeah, no harm done (mostly), but it is a bit messy (Granted, I'm pretty anal about these kind of things ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #143
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Got it to work on my K3. Like the instant page turn option. Now I get the screen flash once every 10 pages (not that it really bothered me). You also get real page numbers even with mobi files. The one thing that appears to be missing is the option to decrease the space between the lines that you can do with the default K3 firmware. Tried out an ePub and it works fine, I did notice that the page numbers do not correspond with the page numbers for same ePub book on my nook. Not sure if I will keep it though. But if you need ePub support or the screen flash really bothers you, you should check it out.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #144
FethryDuck
Addict

@ curstpriest & Madam Broshkina:

I have very little insight about fonts and what can be done. Our western fonts has probably not been of any priority in China. The seem to have some fixed width for fonts, and there are a few other issues with the text to speach function that may explain a few issues at the moment.
However, someone knowledgeable about fonts are called for here.

@ SunLight: I am unsure if I understood what you meant ? In Duokan, you may sort the list in several ways, depending on the sorting choosen. But you meant in Amazon ?

@ NiLuJe: Well, what I hinted at, is that I have a feeling that they mislead us as to what they do. And of course. The language obscure it too, of course.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #145
FethryDuck
Addict

Printscreen ? Am I the only one that have that working ? I understand DX may have an issue, but what about the rest ?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #146
beez83
beez83 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unable to read amazon books

Hi! I am new to Duokan.

Can i ask if there is a way i can read the books/games that i downloaded directly from Amazon into my Kindle system, on my Duokan system?

My home page on DK only shows personal documents.
beez83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #147
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
Printscreen ? Am I the only one that have that working ? I understand DX may have an issue, but what about the rest ?
Hello Duck,

I'm on Kindle 2, and I can't get Printscreen working. Tried your key combination, both simultaneously and in sequence, to no avail. There is nothing in the Printscreen folder.

I was just on the Duokan website, trying my damnedest with Google Translate to get some key combinations, but no luck.

Actually, if I do shift+alt+G in sequence, I get a "G" typed into the search window.

alt+L takes me to the table of contents of a book.

I'll keep looking. If there is a Printscreen folder, then there must be a way to get shit into it.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #148
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone else have this problem, once installing Duokan, one's collections get corrupted in Kindle 3's firmware OS?

The "Add to Collection" box is grayed out even though the ebook is outside any collection.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #149
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez83 View Post
Hi! I am new to Duokan.

Can i ask if there is a way i can read the books/games that i downloaded directly from Amazon into my Kindle system, on my Duokan system?

My home page on DK only shows personal documents.
In a way, yes - in menu->system settings, you can tick off " include original directories" which will include everyting you have from the Amazon system. Check the Duokan FAQ, as perhaps my instruction here is a little off.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #150
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Hello Duck,

I'm on Kindle 2, and I can't get Printscreen working. Tried your key combination, both simultaneously and in sequence, to no avail. There is nothing in the Printscreen folder.

I was just on the Duokan website, trying my damnedest with Google Translate to get some key combinations, but no luck.

Actually, if I do shift+alt+G in sequence, I get a "G" typed into the search window.

alt+L takes me to the table of contents of a book.

I'll keep looking. If there is a Printscreen folder, then there must be a way to get shit into it.
NO !!! - not "shift+alt+G" but "alt+shift+G" ! oh, plz - could this be some of the trouble other's have had too ??

else - I had my share of pain with "I was just on the Duokan website, trying my damnedest with Google Translate" - it can be tricky - I only managed to say hello