Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
March 2010 Update Idiosyncrasies

First, it removed the TTS.

Second, I have two new folders on my SD card that just showed up AFTER I switched from my SD card (default) to my internal memory, then back to the card. The two folders did not show up on internal memories.

The two folders are:

Bookmarks
crengine

These are Folders in the Root directory, no files in them.

Does anyone know if they are related to the FB update? I don't use FB.

Also, in a TXT file, the menu is TOTALLY different from the other menus, and it lists a dictionary lookup. Though it says something about you (us) having to have a Unix based dictionary.

Any thoughts?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
First, it removed the TTS.

Second, I have two new folders on my SD card that just showed up AFTER I switched from my SD card (default) to my internal memory, then back to the card. The two folders did not show up on internal memories.

The two folders are:

Bookmarks
crengine

These are Folders in the Root directory, no files in them.

Does anyone know if they are related to the FB update? I don't use FB.

Also, in a TXT file, the menu is TOTALLY different from the other menus, and it lists a dictionary lookup. Though it says something about you (us) having to have a Unix based dictionary.

Any thoughts?

AJ
crengine belongs to CoolReader
http://coolreader.org/crengine.htm

Those folders do not exist on my updated system. BUT, I have not opened any other book types except EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
I have no clue what's changed, other than what Astak claims on their download page. But your mention of a 'dictionary' certainly makes sense, given what I just noticed as I downloaded the new firmware and prepared it for my website: all the previous firmware revisions were around 80 Mbytes in ZIP format. This one is a whopping 114 Mbytes!!! I was wondering <sarcasm on> if maybe they switched from Linux to Windows 7 or something <sarcasm off>. But if they buried a dictionary in the build somewhere, that might account for the size growth. I mean 30 Mbytes of growth in the ZIP file? That's more than just bug fixes and performance enhancements!!!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
crengine belongs to CoolReader
http://coolreader.org/crengine.htm

Those folders do not exist on my updated system. BUT, I have not opened any other book types except EPUB

What "Type" of files are read by Coolreader? fb2? txt? lit? ???

AJ
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:

Any thoughts?

AJ
The Dictionary Selection says:

Place dictionaries to directory 'dict' of SD card.
Dictionaries in standard unix.dict format are supported
For each dictionary, pair of files should be provided: data file (with .dit or .dict.dz extension, (sic) and index file with index extension

After playing, the "bookmark" folder is for Coolreader bookmarks and citing. You can select multiple paragraphs for bookmarks.

I'm beginning to like my new TXT capabilities...
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I have no clue what's changed, other than what Astak claims on their download page. But your mention of a 'dictionary' certainly makes sense, given what I just noticed as I downloaded the new firmware and prepared it for my website: all the previous firmware revisions were around 80 Mbytes in ZIP format. This one is a whopping 114 Mbytes!!! I was wondering <sarcasm on> if maybe they switched from Linux to Windows 7 or something <sarcasm off>. But if they buried a dictionary in the build somewhere, that might account for the size growth. I mean 30 Mbytes of growth in the ZIP file? That's more than just bug fixes and performance enhancements!!!
Mine was 108.2MB (113454877) on Linux
The Dec 2009 one was 104.1MB (109134810)
Not everything compresses the same.

So far, this version has done the following:
Clock setting was stubborn in accepting DDMMYYYYY keypresses Hint do it snail slow.
Would not detect my SD Card insert, had to reset, set clock, again no joy.
Reset, inserted card. Happiness. Set clock. <--
NB: ran a disk check on SD card one folder path was corrupted after the 3rd level (00noseries/a_author/authors_name/{empty} ) <not caused by update AFAIKT
Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Mine was 108.2MB (113454877) on Linux
The Dec 2009 one was 104.1MB (109134810)
Not everything compresses the same.

So far, this version has done the following:
Clock setting was stubborn in accepting DDMMYYYYY keypresses Hint do it snail slow.
Would not detect my SD Card insert, had to reset, set clock, again no joy.
Reset, inserted card. Happiness. Set clock. <--
NB: ran a disk check on SD card one folder path was corrupted after the 3rd level (00noseries/a_author/authors_name/{empty} ) <not caused by update AFAIKT
Hmm, my update is 133,169,152 normal and 113,454,802 compressed (March_04_2010 using winzip to see it). So far no problems.

Did you download the one from the site or the one send from anotehr source?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Hmm, my update is 133,169,152 normal and 113,454,802 compressed (March_04_2010 using winzip to see it). So far no problems.

Did you download the one from the site or the one send from anotehr source?
from ASTAK
WinZip? The file was a RAR file. different compression amount.
v5setup is and was 127MB
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:

AJ
From what I have seen, it is fb2 and html.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
from ASTAK
WinZip? The file was a RAR file. different compression amount.
v5setup is and was 127MB
And always will be. This is the size of the firmware ROM and always fits the hardware.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

AJ
You can read about Cool Reader in our wiki. Of course Jinke doesn't always use its full capabilities. One trick is to add an fb2 extension to a file to force you PP to use Cool Reader to read it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Of course Jinke doesn't always use its full capabilities.
I noticed that they do not include a 'crengine' folder with a least a beginning default set of *.CSS files, but that can be added by users who want and know how to use them

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
One trick is to add an fb2 extension to a file to force you PP to use Cool Reader to read it.

HOT DANG
that is so obvious I never realized it could be done so easily.
Now I can read EPUB on the PocketPRO.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Just in addition. I notice with FB2 (which is a HUGE improvement over the previous firmware), when changing font size I am taken back to the start of the book and not back to where I was currently reading. Anyone else experience this?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Just in addition. I notice with FB2 (which is a HUGE improvement over the previous firmware), when changing font size I am taken back to the start of the book and not back to where I was currently reading. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, just now.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I noticed that they do not include a 'crengine' folder with a least a beginning default set of *.CSS files, but that can be added by users who want and know how to use them

HOT DANG
that is so obvious I never realized it could be done so easily.
Now I can read EPUB on the PocketPRO.
Except it is quite slow to open a (1000 page) book, and a little slow to change pages.

Lovely reader though. Very nice software. Astak should take a look at it's font size selection! :P
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote