Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #151
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, Wasted on the Young was suggested as the title for books to do with school/books read at school etc.

I only listed those suggestions where one or more people commented, added suggestions of catch-phrases etc. As Dazrin said, the ones where interest was expressed. There were quite a number (including those listed by Jon) where there was no comment at all and therefore I assumed, no interest. We can't really cope with a list that goes on for pages, but have to try to reduce it to manageable numbers.

I wasn't picking my favourites, simply those which seemed to arouse some interest among the members. However, that wasn't meant to stop the discussion, just do a summary of it so far. I'm sure people will come up with more ideas.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 AM   #152
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Directional books.

The Left Hand of Darkness, The Right Stuff, Up the Down Staircase, To There and Back Again. Etc, etc, etc.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 AM   #153
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Directional books.

The Left Hand of Darkness, The Right Stuff, Up the Down Staircase, To There and Back Again. Etc, etc, etc.
Yeah, I can do that. I thought that Hell West and Crooked might have worked as a book others had not heard of, but see Goodreads shows that at least 123 know it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, Wasted on the Young was suggested as the title for books to do with school/books read at school etc.

I only listed those suggestions where one or more people commented, added suggestions of catch-phrases etc. As Dazrin said, the ones where interest was expressed. There were quite a number (including those listed by Jon) where there was no comment at all and therefore I assumed, no interest. We can't really cope with a list that goes on for pages, but have to try to reduce it to manageable numbers.

I wasn't picking my favourites, simply those which seemed to arouse some interest among the members. However, that wasn't meant to stop the discussion, just do a summary of it so far. I'm sure people will come up with more ideas.
Just because there was no discussion does not mean no interest. As for Wasted on the young, I would never have assumed it has to do with school[/i]. I would have it as a separate theme for consideration. A bunch of themes were suggested before themes were discussed and all those themes should have equal consideration when deciding which ones to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #155
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
[...]As for Wasted on the young, I would never have assumed it has to do with school. [...]
No assumptions needed, it was given directly in the post by Bookpossum - you know, the one you quoted and said was brilliant:
Quote:
Or Wasted on the Young to pick up a comment by issybird about books read in school.[...]
The referenced comment from issybird was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I liked, loved, many books I read in school and wish I had that opportunity again. Youth is wasted on the young and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A bunch of themes were suggested before themes were discussed and all those themes should have equal consideration when deciding which ones to use.
I thought it made excellent and perfect sense to leave behind items that no one expressed much interest in (including some of mine, <sniff>). It's not like we really need dozens of them up front, and I'm sure we can always come up with more as needed in the future.
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #156
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Let's not forget we only need four new themes for right now! People will always be welcome to add suggestions to this list, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yeah, I can do that. I thought that Hell West and Crooked might have worked as a book others had not heard of, but see Goodreads shows that at least 123 know it.
I think 123 qualifies as no one!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Let's not forget we only need four new themes for right now! People will always be welcome to add suggestions to this list, also.

I think 123 qualifies as no one!
Can we please hold off on this theme (unknown books) given that some of us would prefer books set in a later time period?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I thought it made excellent and perfect sense to leave behind items that no one expressed much interest in (including some of mine, <sniff>). It's not like we really need dozens of them up front, and I'm sure we can always come up with more as needed in the future.
I like some of those in my list. But if we leave those out, we don't give everyone's idea(s) a chance.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #159
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
As I said way, way upthread, this will not be decided by poll. All suggestions are live, but the slate, after due consideration for perceived support as well as various subjective criteria including balance, appeal and possible interpretations will be decided by fiat.

Could we please try to stay on topic? This thread is about the themes themselves. Thread drift here and elsewhere into the mechanisms is tedious. You can take such comments to the Welcome thread if you'd like, but it would be great if we could avoid nitpicking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #160
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Here's another idea, Opposites Attract, books from an opposite viewpoint or something along those lines. Basically books that don't reflect who you are because the author or main character is in significantly different circumstances than you or believes something significantly different than you do.

BTW, I found it interesting to look through "reading challenge" lists (from Book Riot or PopSugar or wherever) for ideas. There are lots of genre type options but they still did a good job of sparking ideas for me.

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-01-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added a missing word.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #161
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Here's another idea, Opposites Attract, books from an opposite viewpoint or something along those lines. Basically books that don't reflect who you are because the author or main character is in significantly different than you or believes something significantly different than you do. [...]
That's an interesting one, Dazrin.

I can think of a couple of movies that would fit this for me. eg: I'm not a sports fan, never have been, but I love "Fever Pitch" (Colin Firth, Ruth Gemmell). This was based on a book by Nick Hornby that I haven't read (so it might fit our March nominations, but I have something else in mind ), but otherwise I am having trouble thinking of a book (that I like well enough to nominate here) that fits this well.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #162
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That certainly sounds as if it has potential Dazrin.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That certainly sounds as if it has potential Dazrin.
I see it as a rather difficult theme.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #164
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It's certainly a more difficult theme but I think it has some potential. Maybe for later in the year or into next year after we get the hang of this.

Anyway, I had this stuck in my head for a while and needed a release. You're welcome.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #165
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Here's another idea, Opposites Attract, books from an opposite viewpoint or something along those lines. Basically books that don't reflect who you are because the author or main character is in significantly different circumstances than you or believes something significantly different than you do.
I'm confused by this one. Suppose my opposite is some thing someone else strongly identifies with? We surely aren't such a homogenous group.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote