Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
asaxena11
asaxena11 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Question Battery Life of Sony PRS700

Hi,

I got my PRS-700 couple of days back. i noticed the battery drains pretty quickly. in One hour only. Not sure if this is problem in my my book only.

I would like to know what is the average time for the PRS700?

~Amit

Last edited by asaxena11; 12-08-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: misspelt Subject
asaxena11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the backlight drains the battery. but not that fast.

8hrs for light low, 4 hours for light High.

i only need to charge about once every 3 days.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
My battery usage mirrors Andybaby's. If the battery is drained in an hour it might be that you didn't fully charge it. Are you charging only by the USB cable? Try buying a PlayStation Portable charger ($16-$20 in most electronics stores) and use that to charge the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
I am disappointed with the battery life which only seems to last hours. I keep using the light because it makes it easier to read. It has be charged up like a cell phone, almost every day. My 505 seemed to last weeks, but I still prefer the 700.

We need to be able to read it while it is charging.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
if you use the Light the battery will drain Fast, In hours instead of days.

and using the A/C charger from a PSP or your old prs 500 you can read while charging.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
if you use the Light the battery will drain Fast, In hours instead of days.

and using the A/C charger from a PSP or your old prs 500 you can read while charging.
The other benefit of using a PSP charger is that it charges a lot faster than via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I also suspect the battery life on my new PRS700 isn't up to snuff (or else the specs arn't). When I use the light I have it set to the lowest setting. There is no way it lasts 8 hours. I'm too lazy and busy reading to keep a log of the times I'm reading with and without the light (a future project maybe, after I enjoy a few more books). I seem to be charging my battery about every other day, and I don't read 4 hours a day.

It is not a hassle for me to charge it frequently, but still...
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
my guess is that depending on file size / format and compilation, battery
life will vary from user to user despite usage with or without lights. It might take more
processing power to open / index / and read a large (badly compiled) file vs. a generic
rtf or sony reader file. Unless this is tested, I believe we will see different battery ratings
across the board. My other guess, would be perhaps an additional drain for the live
touch screen digitizer. Again, I'm only guessing here.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

The same way that the claimed battery life of 7200 page turns is total bull in reality -- that only works if there is a page turn a second, non-stop. There's no way any of us have gotten anywhere near 7200 pages on a single charge in normal reading, on ANY of the Sony Readers.

It's all just smoke and mirrors, in the best situation (probably simply displaying a single page for 8 hours with no page turns) you can get 8 hours using the light on low.

But in reality it's less.

It'll be very interesting in another year to see what the 705 has to offer -- possibly an extra millimeter of thickness in exchange for a much more robust battery?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Shunt1
Enthusiast
Shunt1 doesn't litterShunt1 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, PRS-700
With the Kindle, when the battery gets warn out (like they all do) it can be replaced.

Has anyone figured out how to replace a bad battery in the PRS-700 yet?

It should be rather simple, but since this item is so new, has anyone opened up the back plate and see what is under it?
Shunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaxena11 View Post
Hi,

I got my PRS-700 couple of days back. i noticed the battery drains pretty quickly. in One hour only. Not sure if this is problem in my my book only.

I would like to know what is the average time for the PRS700?

~Amit
Funny, When I said on this forum about a month ago that the 700's battery life was much worse then the 505, everyone told me I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about.

Don't worry, I won't say it.

I told you so
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
Funny, When I said on this forum about a month ago that the 700's battery life was much worse then the 505, everyone told me I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about.

Don't worry, I won't say it.

I told you so
We all knew that the battery life on the 700 wasn't going to last as long as the 505. It has lights, and does other nice things that use up more energy than what is required for just turning pages.
And you did say it.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
dhbailey
Guru

But if you don't use the lights, the battery life is a lot nearer that of the 505 and the 500.

And even using the lights, it's a heck of a lot longer than 1 hour -- there's something wrong with that device.

I don't recall anybody calling anybody "stupid" on this forum -- I thought that was forbidden. Did someone really post that about you?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
Does doing the quick shutdown ( sleep mode ) versus a device shutdown reduce the battery life? Or better said, should I do a device shutdown to save battery life?
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Does doing the quick shutdown ( sleep mode ) versus a device shutdown reduce the battery life? Or better said, should I do a device shutdown to save battery life?
A full shutdown will save battery life. I believe you can set this up to happen automatically if the unit has been in sleep mode for a specified period of time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote