Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
From what I've seen, the new features of this firmware are basically the same as those published on the official website of the manufacturer and discussed in this thread.
With the addition of some bugs updating the PdfReader.

Good news for users of the M92 & PdfReader with scientific papers.

Bad news for users i62HD & i62GD Firefly, which key to use the reader its main function: Reading books in epub, fb2 and mobi and are still being marginalized in their aspirations expressed in this thread.

I understand the obsession to convert the M92 Booxtor in reference reader for PDF and appreciated scientific progress in this regard, but the rest of users, readers of literature only in the formats mentioned, and we are most, demand for months the solution to the CoolReader and FBReader bugs in the thread mentioned and once again we were not responding to our needs.

Also I welcome the progress with Acapela TTS, but please do not forget to update and fix the bugs of CoolReader and FBReader.

The graphical interface also needs a 'aggiornamento', particularly for models 6 ".

A greeting. -

Last edited by fraylocus; 05-02-2013 at 10:19 AM.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I agree with you. There is some improvement in CR/FBR as now dictionary works better and better "recent documents " too (book cover pictures ) but most of the CR/FBREADER bugs remains. And some of them are very old bugs (Hypenization bugs where present in Onyx Boox 60 in 2009, AFAIK )

I can read epub in Pdfreader but I prefer Coolreader more configurable options. And as you said if I read Mobi or Fb2 or PDB our only options ate CR3 /Fbreader that have many bugs.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #63
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Added improvement in dictionary in last April 2013 firmware to the first post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #64
Sololector
Sololector began at the beginning.

Device: Papyre 6.1, Onyx Boox i62 HD Firefly
Hello Fraylocus, Manolo and other forum users, I've been reading your posts for some time. Although I cannot give you more than what you had written here, I want to express my full support for your complaints about these reading engines. I hope Booxtor could have more free time and he dedicate it to correct most of these errors, or all of them, if possible.
Sorry if there are errors in my writing but I´m using a translator because my English is not very good.

Hola Fraylocus, Manolo y demás usuarios, he estado leyendo vuestros mensajes desde hace algún tiempo y aunque no puedo aportar más de lo que vosotros escribís aquí, si quiero dejar constancia de mi apoyo total a vuestras quejas sobre estos motores de lectura. A ver si Booxtor saca tiempo y lo dedica a corregir la mayoría de estos errores, o todos si es posible.
Lamento si hay errores en mi escritura pero uso un traductor ya que mi Inglés no es muy bueno.
Sololector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #65
Tizón
Tizón began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
From what I've seen, the new features of this firmware are basically the same as those published on the official website of the manufacturer and discussed in this thread.
With the addition of some bugs updating the PdfReader.

Good news for users of the M92 & PdfReader with scientific papers.

Bad news for users i62HD & i62GD Firefly, which key to use the reader its main function: Reading books in epub, fb2 and mobi and are still being marginalized in their aspirations expressed in this thread.

I understand the obsession to convert the M92 Booxtor in reference reader for PDF and appreciated scientific progress in this regard, but the rest of users, readers of literature only in the formats mentioned, and we are most, demand for months the solution to the CoolReader and FBReader bugs in the thread mentioned and once again we were not responding to our needs.

Also I welcome the progress with Acapela TTS, but please do not forget to update and fix the bugs of CoolReader and FBReader.

The graphical interface also needs a 'aggiornamento', particularly for models 6 ".

A greeting. -
I'm completely agreed
Tizón is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #66
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I agree with you, it's necessary to have a good tool for EPUB and other files. It will be nice if it's possible to zoom on pictures in EPUB.
I hope that the improvements of the PDFReader could give a good tool for files other than PDF.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #67
Manolo
Addict

Thanks for your support
Added fixed recent documents list in 2013-04 firmware
Added that current epub.css is the same that Tuxor recommended
Added whish of a zoom image option in CR
(if there is any error in the first post please tell me!)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
character encoding bug?

The version of FBReader coming with the 2013-04-update seems to have trouble with character encoding and/or accented characters: the german umlaut characters ä,ö,ü etc are quite funny: sometimes they are displayed correctly, sometimes they are replaced by greek letters, somtimes they have extra space around them. This appears quite randomly. The ebook is ok, it is in UTF8. In PDF reader it displays correctly.
Has anyone noticed the same?
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
Manolo
Addict

Try changing font family. Some fonts do badly with accented characters. Not sure if it solve your issue.
For instance in Coolreader in Spanish text (with accents like á, ü ...) work OK with font family DejaVu or Bitstream but nit with Agfriker or Adobe-something.
Only checked in Coolreader but Fbreader could be similar.
Tell us if it works
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #70
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Yup, FBreader is similar, some fonts will display slavic letters like ĐŠČĆŽ, some won't.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #71
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
Try changing font family. Some fonts do badly with accented characters. Not sure if it solve your issue.
For instance in Coolreader in Spanish text (with accents like á, ü ...) work OK with font family DejaVu or Bitstream but nit with Agfriker or Adobe-something.
Only checked in Coolreader but Fbreader could be similar.
Tell us if it works
The font changing has no effect at all (I mean the font does not get changed). I guess the style sheet of the ebook has priority. Can I turn off the style sheet somehow?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #72
Manolo
Addict

I think stylesheet has priority
You can open epub in your PC with Sigil (or other epub editor) and edit epub. First backup the epub file just in case
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #73
Manolo
Addict

Edited first post to add the accented characters incompatibility with some font families
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #74
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
I think stylesheet has priority
You can open epub in your PC with Sigil (or other epub editor) and edit epub. First backup the epub file just in case
Thanks for the hint, Manolo.
It turned out that the ebook contained a stylesheet and its own fonts. I deleted both. It messed up my ebook a bit, but after that the accented characters were displayed correctly.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #75
Manolo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark G. Flipper View Post
Thanks for the hint, Manolo.
It turned out that the ebook contained a stylesheet and its own fonts. I deleted both. It messed up my ebook a bit, but after that the accented characters were displayed correctly.
Good. You could solve it.
While not strictly a CR or FBR bug is an important issue not having the option to disable stylesheet or fonts in an EPUB. I understand being unable to do that in PDF but not in EPUB.
In CR for Android you can disable CSS, what is more useful than having to go to the PC and edit EPUB file with Sigil or whatever ....
CR and FBR lack of options compared to their Android siblings is a disadvantage.

The other issue: how is possible having fonts that doesn´t support Unicode? Some font families as DejaVu have a quite good Unicode support but others don't.
Well, I can understand some fonts not having support of some not so used characters and some Unicode blocks not being fully implemented as "Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics" or "Phonetic Extensions" because I think are not so used. But at least the first Unicode blocks should be implimented. I think that only implementing the fist two blocks (apart from ANSI of course) "Latin-1 Supplement" (rest of 8859-1 to support French, German, Spanish, Italian ...) and "Latin Extended-A" (adding support to Czech, Polish ...) we have many languages supported.

Last edited by Manolo; 05-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Tags
bugs, coolreader, fbreader, onyx boox, whislist