Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #31
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Just got one of these notices myself. I am using my KT2 as my primary reader now that I was able to use the jb on it, but I still want my K3 useable as a backup. So I just plugged my K3 into the charger with the wifi off to charge it. Once it is fully charged I will turn wifi on and leave it plugged in overnight expecting it to update.

I am assuming that there will be no problem with the jb on the K3 with the update. I am wondering if they patched the browser SSL issue in this update. Has anyone already updated and can confirm what changed?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #32
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe there was enough complaint/confusion that they've started including the device?
You would think they should have known that people have multiple devices.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You would think they should have known that people have multiple devices.
You'd think, but often the obvious can be overlooked.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I am assuming that there will be no problem with the jb on the K3 with the update. I am wondering if they patched the browser SSL issue in this update. Has anyone already updated and can confirm what changed?

Dave
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3132752 and the surrounding discussion.

tl;dr
Yup, the SSL was fixed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #35
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3132752 and the surrounding discussion.

tl;dr
Yup, the SSL was fixed.
I have had my K3 plugged in overnight with WiFi on and no update has been installed. I am a bit confused about this, as when I saw no updates made I followed the "help" link in the email and they seem to be indicating that 3.4.2 is the latest version for the K3. That is what I already have installed on my K3, so what is going on here?

Regarding SSL issues, 3.4.2 still has SSL problems. If you have a K3 with 3.4.2 just browse to https://www.howsmyssl.com on the K3 browser to see that your client is "BAD" due to support of known insecure cipher suites.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 02-18-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: amplify explanation
Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I have had my K3 plugged in overnight with WiFi on and no update has been installed. I am a bit confused about this, as when I saw no updates made I followed the "help" link in the email and they seem to be indicating that 3.4.2 is the latest version for the K3. That is what I already have installed on my K3, so what is going on here?
I have no idea why Amazon sent you a notice then, but yes the last update for the K3 is 3.4.2, as you can see here: http://amzn.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/keyboard

Quote:
Regarding SSL issues, 3.4.2 still has SSL problems. If you have a K3 with 3.4.2 just browse to https://www.howsmyssl.com on the K3 browser to see that your client is "BAD" due to support of known insecure cipher suites.

Dave
If by "I am wondering if they patched the browser SSL issue in this update." you mean disabling support for known insecure ciphers, then all I can say is ""

They added support for current ciphers, so that you can actually formulate a secure link to modern websites. That counts as "fixing" it in my book; I'm not exactly doing my banking on the thing.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #37
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
I have no idea why Amazon sent you a notice then, but yes the last update for the K3 is 3.4.2, as you can see here: http://amzn.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/keyboard

If by "I am wondering if they patched the browser SSL issue in this update." you mean disabling support for known insecure ciphers, then all I can say is ""

They added support for current ciphers, so that you can actually formulate a secure link to modern websites. That counts as "fixing" it in my book; I'm not exactly doing my banking on the thing.
Well, I guess I am just an optimist. I figured if they were issuing an update anyway that they would plug that hole while they were at it. The same problem is present in 5.6.5, did they patch it in 5.7.2.x? I was holding out on upgrading until there is a way to drop back to 5.6.5 in case something goes totally wrong, so I can't check it myself.

Dave
Old 02-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #38
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I would update if they added Bookerly to the 1st Gen Paperwhites but since they don't...
Or has this changed?
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #39
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
One thing about this puzzles me. I live in the UK and have a K3 that has 3G access; I haven't received this email. In previous years, as far as I remember, the updates weren't transmitted via 3G, but were either done via Wifi or manually installed. I've never connected my K3 via Wifi and have installed past updates manually. The last manual update I did was a few years ago (I think the last one I did was 3.3; I didn't bother with the one after it, as it didn't do anything worth the worry or hassle of flashing the new firmware). So, after some time away from this board (sorry), I noticed this thread and decided to see what firmware version I have on my K3, only to find out that I have 3.4.2 already installed.

Now, either I'm a very dexterous sleepwalker and did all this without my knowledge, maybe I have another personality that takes care of my Kindle's latest updates, or now Amazon are transmitting updates over 3G. As I said, I believe that in the past Amazon didn't do these updates over 3G, probably due to keeping down the cost. Seeing that I haven't connected my Kindle to Wifi or manually installed the 3.4.2 firmware (or 3.4), then it can only have come about via 3G... or I need to worry about my unconscious nocturnal habits and/or sanity.

Last edited by Gort; 02-21-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #40
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I almost get the impression that you failed to read my post... certainly you have systematically failed to grasp the fundamental point, and proceeded to quibble over the phrasing instead, not that that is very objectionable either...

Anyway, I've said my piece, hopefully people will now know to ignore the nonsense you posted, and I'm out.
The criminal seldom makes a good judge of his own case and his pronouncements on others tend to be self serving.

People are free to employ their own faculties to judge which post was the nonsensical one.

howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #41
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
I have attempted to upgrade my KT (FW 5.1) by downloading the bin file manually and copying it to the Kindle's root. When I try to update it, the "Update Your Kindle" menu item is grayed out. Letting the Kindle sit plugged in for a couple of days connected to wifi doesn't update it either.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
I have attempted to upgrade my KT (FW 5.1) by downloading the bin file manually and copying it to the Kindle's root. When I try to update it, the "Update Your Kindle" menu item is grayed out.
The most likely reason for this is that you've download the firmware file for the wrong device. Firmware is model-specific.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-21-2016 at 08:47 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
I have attempted to upgrade my KT (FW 5.1) by downloading the bin file manually and copying it to the Kindle's root. When I try to update it, the "Update Your Kindle" menu item is grayed out. Letting the Kindle sit plugged in for a couple of days connected to wifi doesn't update it either.
Which bin file?

The Kindle Touch update page is here: http://amzn.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/touch
You will notice that the upgrade path for 5.1.0 includes a pit stop at 5.3.2.1

The KT was the only device that at one point used incremental updates but now uses full firmware images.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #44
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That almost certainly indicates that you've download the firmware file for the wrong device. Firmware is device-specific.
I thought of that and double-checked. Here's thw link that I used to download the update:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

My device info says that I am currently running 5.1.0 so I downloaded 5.3.2.1 file.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. Sounds right. It's in the root directory of the USB-mounted drive, not in a subdirectory?

All I can suggest is that you try rebooting the device. If the update still doesn't show up, contact Kindle CS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update