Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Amazon won't sell the Kindle in Israel anymore

I tried today to buy the Kindle DXG international version. Got the message - "Sorry, we don't sell the Kindle in your country".

What is weird is that I know for a fact that they did. I recall reading a guy here fron Israel (can't remember his username) saying that he bought one and that the Kindle store was working on the 3G but not the internet. Also I know a guy who bought one as well.

So, what changed?

I sent an email to Amazon Support asking them exactly that.

This is email exchange that followed. Not the most useful I've had. Though I can't blame the guys working at Amazon Support. By their names I'd say they're Indian, probably using canned answers with no contact with those who make the decisions.

################################################## ########################

Hello,

I’m sorry, currently, Kindles and Kindle content are unavailable in Israel.

Customers in Israel can read over 410,000 Kindle books on your PC with our free application for your Windows PC - no Kindle required.

We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle and related content available in more locations in the future.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Best regards,

Bhaskar.T
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
08/23/10 22:57:08
Your Nameave
Comments:Hi

Why did you stop selling the Kindle DX graphite in Israel?

I know you did sell it before, because my friend bought one. After comparing it with the Sony prs900 I decide to buy one as well - only to find out that for some reason you had decided to stop selling it here. That's not nice .

Thanks
Dave
---------------

And the second one:

Hello,

Currently, Kindle Dx is unavailable in Israel.

I am sorry currently we do not have any information about its availability in Israel.

We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle and related content available in more locations in the future.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Best regards,

Madhu
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

CUSTOMER: Dave Berk
COMM ID:raqeaqyxXXXXXXXX
EMAIL:
COMMENTS: I did not find the canned answer useful at all, sorry.

I know you currently don't sell the Kindle DX in Israel. What I want to know is what changed. Just a few weeks ago you did sell them. What happened?

I know you (the guy in CS answering this email) probably doesn't have the answer to this at hand. But please try to find out.

Also, more importantly, when do you think you'll resume selling the Kindle DX to Israel?

Thanks
Dave

Anyone know of any other cases where Amazon started selling the Kindle in another country only to suddenly stop?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Strange... at worse case you can work something out with someone here to ship you a Kindle
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Strange... at worse case you can work something out with someone here to ship you a Kindle
easily done, but how will he purchase his books?
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
put them on the computer then on the Kindle. he is just missing out on the whisper net capability.

I think we have seen this before when different regions have made new agreements regarding the carrier for the "whispernet"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
iirc, israel has some funky wifi restrictions. i remember reading something about iphones getting confiscated at the border for this reason.

i suppose that doesn't apply to the DX, but it could be just easier to pull out of the entire country rather than restrict the models.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
Looks like he has access to Amazon and can read book on the Kindle for PC so he could just download the books to his computer then upload via USB. There is wipernet access access in israel so it will just take getting him a kindle there.

(EDIT: Yes, I did spell Israel right )

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 8.12.30 PM.png
Views:	5329
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	57113  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Finally get an answer from somebody on the other side of the pond (I think):

################################################## ###############

Hello from Kindle Support,

I've read our previous e-mails with you, and I'm sorry your concerns weren't addressed in previous correspondence. I believe that the Kindle DX Graphite version should be able to be shipped to Israel, as our other Kindles can ship there.

I am going to have to get more people involved in this to see why this is not an option available right now. Because I have to get more people involved in this, I would like a little time to research this and be able to come back with an answer or a resolution.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I can have this fixed or know an exact reason behind this. You should receive another response from me within 2-3 business days.

Thank you for giving me the time to research this issue.

Did I solve your problem?

Best regards,

Chris C.
Amazon.com
################################################## ###############

As to the buying of ebooks. It is a bit sad. Yes, I can buy from the Kindle store using the Kindle4PC, but many titles are geo-restricted for the whole middle east. I can't understand why, since there is no local English language publisher that would own the rights.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, Dave. Hope you soon solve your Kindle problem. Didn't I read in the press a wee while ago, though, that Kindles were being confiscated from airline passengers arriving in Israel because of some perceived security risk? Maybe this silliness has something to do with it. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
It was the iPad that was being confiscated. And that silliness stopped after a couple of weeks.

I heard that the Kindle 3 was going to be launched here (Israel) at the end of August. I guess I heard wrong. Amazon must've changed their shipping policy at some point, because in the past they've always said that they can't ship electronic goods (including cds, dvds, and vhs tapes) to Israel.

I have a Gen3 which I'm very happy with, but I'd really like to see a Kindle and give it a test drive.

--JanG.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
@Dave Berk
As far as I remember, Kindle was never available for sell to Israel. There was a thread by a user some months ago who declared Amazon have "anti-muslim" bias as the Kindle was not for sale in a few Muslim countries. Other people answered him (ironically) that on the same grounds, Amazon is anti-Semitic as well as they don't sell the Kindle in Israel. So I am really sure Israel was not in the available countries list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Hya, Dave. Hope you soon solve your Kindle problem. Didn't I read in the press a wee while ago, though, that Kindles were being confiscated from airline passengers arriving in Israel because of some perceived security risk? Maybe this silliness has something to do with it. Cheers. Neil
Neil, you have everything wrong in the above post. It was the Ipad, it was not confiscated but put on hold in the customs for checking its Wifi compatibility with European regulations (as people were importing an American market device).

Last edited by gollu; 08-28-2010 at 10:28 AM.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
kneazle
kneazle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
@Dave Berk
As far as I remember, Kindle was never available for sell to Israel. There was a thread by a user some months ago who declared Amazon have "anti-muslim" bias as the Kindle was not for sale in a few Muslim countries. Other people answered him (ironically) that on the same grounds, Amazon is anti-Semitic as well as they don't sell the Kindle in Israel. So I am really sure Israel was not in the available countries list.
They started to ship kindle to Israel with the Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, I bought one and it now in the process of shipping.
kneazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
@Dave Berk
Arabs are Semites?
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsip View Post
Arabs are Semites?
Yep, Semitic covers both Jews and Arabs amongst others, as Wikipedia says:

Quote:
The term Semite means a member of any of various ancient and modern Semitic-speaking peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Arabs, and Ethiopian Semites.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #14
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Sadly you're all right. This is the answer I finally got:

Hello from Kindle Support,

Thank you for giving me the time to see why the Graphite Kindle DX will not ship to Israel. After speaking with members of our leadership team, they have told me that the Kindle Graphite DX is not supposed to ship to Israel. They also mentioned that the WiFi devices have been the only ones that have been able to ship there. I'm not sure why you were able to see that the Graphite DX was able to ship to Israel. Because of rules and Government restrictions, we are only able to ship the Kindle WiFi device to Israel.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best regards,

Chris C.
Amazon.com

I spoke again with my friend - apparently I was mistaken. A friend of his bought it for him in the states and sent it to him. The weird thing is I remember when I tried buying Kindle DXG before and it was available. I only backed out in the last step because I convinced myself to wait and see what Sony has to offer. Also there is this thread here which shows that other people as well bought the Kindle DXG in Israel.

Oh well. I will now go and read bad reviews of the Kindle to persuade myself that I don't really want it .
Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard

We can work something out to get you a kindle shipped your way I am sure. Send me a PM if you want to work something out.