Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
novainvictus
Junior
novainvictus began at the beginning.

Device: Loox C550, Cybook soon...
Best way to read Mobipocket files on the iPhone/iPod Touch

Hi,
i will get an iPod Touch next week. Now I have to figure out how to move my selfmade Mobipocket-books (all of them are DRM-free) to my iPod, and which App to use to read them.

Thats what I think of now:

Reading with the Kindle-App.
I would love to, because I don't have to convert my books. But how do I get my own files inside the App without paying? Jailbreak?

Reading with Stanza.
I don't know... I would have to convert them and maybe loose a lot of formating, right?

Reading with Bookshelf.
Haven't seen much Sreenshots yet, but I don't like the user-interface. Is it even possible to get full justification?

Am I missing some Apps that are reading mobi-files? When I find a way of getting my own files inside the Kindle-App all my Problems would be solved.
There are only some things important to me:
- Nice library-view (at least small covers)
- Justification, centering and page-breaks are working.
- All characters are working (I'm german, so theres plenty of 'Ä', 'Ü', 'Ö', 'ß')
- Auto-hyphenation would be great, but is not so necessary

I hope you guys can help me.

Michael

Last edited by novainvictus; 02-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.
novainvictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Have you downloaded the Stanza app for your desktop, first? I believe it can read your mobi files just fine. Although, I admit, it won't always read mobi files I get from smashwords. So there must be more than one slight flavor or mobi file.

Anybody else?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
novainvictus
Junior

I'm downloading Stanza-Desktop right now. I will give it a try.
Can Stanza really read mobi-files natively, or does it have to convert them to epub?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Converting mobi to ePub is "lossless" - your files will look exactly the same, the table of contents will work the same, and so on. Calibre does an excellent job of conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
novainvictus
Junior

Ok, I tried stanza for converting, the results were terrible (I lost cover-art, the most formating and the pagebreaks were a little bit strange)....

But Calibre does the job pretty well (Thanks, Harry!), i think i will stick with that.
It's easier for me to convert them, than jailbreak my ipod.
Only thing to do now: I have to convert my whole library (1486 Books...) that could take quite a while.

My iPod will arrive on monday, im quite excited on how my books will look in stanza...
Thank you Deb and Harry for your help.
Advert