Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Kindle vs. Sony

I'm sending in my PRS-500 for the firmware upgrade. I was very tempted to get a PRS-300, but I just can't justify the $150 extra. (see below...)

So here is my rant... I'd really like to get a Kindle, but I can't stand the dedicated keyboard. It is absurd for a dedicated reader.

I really wish that Amazon would come out with a reader that has the styling of a Sony. Unfortunately, if they do, it will probably have a touch-screen, which reduces the contrast.

My big gripe with Sony is their bookstore. The prices are much higher than Amazon's. I'm not tech savvy at all, so the thought of using other stores makes me a little nervous. I also don't really understand micropayments and other ways to save money at other online store. I really need to check into that.

I don't really care about a whispernet, either. I have no problem hooking the e-reader up to my computer to download a book.

So this is a long winded way of saying that I'd like to buy a new e-reader, but I want Amazon's pricing with a device that does not have a touch screen or keyboard. Sadly, I don't think such a thing exists.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, you could download the "kindle for pc" app, (free), buy Kindle books, figure out how to strip the drm, then change the format to use on Sony.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

Totally illegal, of course, but its the only answer I can come up with!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
... I'd really like to get a Kindle, but I can't stand the dedicated keyboard. It is absurd for a dedicated reader....
If enough people ask for that option, perhaps Amazon will offer it, but I wouldn't buy it. Being someone who constantly writes notes in the margins of paperbooks, I find the keyboard to be extremely useful. And even for folks who don't, the ability to quickly type a word and look it up in the dictionary comes in very handy at times. These days, I find myself going to the Kindle before the paper dictionary that sits atop my desk because it is so quick and convenient. The keyboard is also great for shopping in the Kindle store or researching an item in Wikipedia.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I buy alot of my books from Booksonboard. That website uses Adobe Digital Editions, which is software pretty much just like Sony software. All you do is download the book, then plug in your reader and drag and drop.

And I'm not tech saavy either....I tried to de-drm books, etc...and gave up within 5 minutes.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm sending in my PRS-500 for the firmware upgrade. I was very tempted to get a PRS-300, but I just can't justify the $150 extra. (see below...)

So here is my rant... I'd really like to get a Kindle, but I can't stand the dedicated keyboard. It is absurd for a dedicated reader.
How much time have you spent actually using a Kindle in order to reach this conclusion, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
damn kindle contrast i cant read anything
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
... before the paper dictionary that sits atop my desk ....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How much time have you spent actually using a Kindle in order to reach this conclusion, as a matter of interest?
Not much. I used a friend's for a short period of time.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Kelly1010 had a good option for you, I would look into that as an alternative. The Sony store is overpriced....

My opinion is that is someone is not at least somewhat tech savvy, the Kindle is the way to go. Sure, the DRM, tied to Kindle store (remember this is for NON tech savvy folks) things that I could never endure, are perfect for the plug and play folks..... If someone is a bit more adventurous, willing to take a bit of time to learn and set up some software.... then the Sony's are great....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If enough people ask for that option, perhaps Amazon will offer it, but I wouldn't buy it. Being someone who constantly writes notes in the margins of paperbooks, I find the keyboard to be extremely useful. And even for folks who don't, the ability to quickly type a word and look it up in the dictionary comes in very handy at times. These days, I find myself going to the Kindle before the paper dictionary that sits atop my desk because it is so quick and convenient. The keyboard is also great for shopping in the Kindle store or researching an item in Wikipedia.
Completely agree (except I'm stil waiting for a Danish-English dictionary ) - and it's great to have the option of looking up things in Wikipedia while reading.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:

I really wish that Amazon would come out with a reader that has the styling of a Sony. Unfortunately, if they do, it will probably have a touch-screen, which reduces the contrast.

My big gripe with Sony is their bookstore. The prices are much higher than Amazon's. I'm not tech savvy at all, so the thought of using other stores makes me a little nervous. I also don't really understand micropayments and other ways to save money at other online store. I really need to check into that.

I don't really care about a whispernet, either. I have no problem hooking the e-reader up to my computer to download a book.

So this is a long winded way of saying that I'd like to buy a new e-reader, but I want Amazon's pricing with a device that does not have a touch screen or keyboard. Sadly, I don't think such a thing exists.
I have a Kindle 1 and we just ordered a K2 using the $100 discount when you sign-up for a 1-yr $14.95/mo Audible subscription (which I do anyway, so it's $100 off for my normal bill).

I was anti-keyboard as well when the K1 came out. But to be honest, after the first 10mins of using the K1 I never even knew the keyboard was there. You really do not even see it, unless you want to and can't focus on your reading. but then the same would be true any buttons or logos on the front of the device. I will add, I don't like the Kindle as a reading device and rarely use it so the K2 is not for me. But the keyboard is one thing I can say is not something that interferes with reading on it when I do use it. I was surprised to say the least.

So, if you like it otherwise, I say order one then if you do not like it, you have 30-days to return for a full refund. My money is if you do return it the reason will not be the existence of the keyboard. I will add that a keyboard is a far better option for me than an on-screen keyboard. And the K2 has a more traditional QWERTY layout rather than the fiasco that is the K1 layout...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Brecklundin,
I have had an Audible account for 8 or 9 years. Did you have to cancel and start a new account to get the discount, or to renew could you still get it?? It is just about time for renewal for me, but I would prefer not to have books in different accounts.

I have a couple hundred audio books in my library. I wont leave them behind .

Thanks in advance!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
What we did was just open an account with a new email and different credit card...same name of course and that was all. Remember even if you do not renew your old account you will always have access to the books. That was part of the deal from day one on my account and likely yours as well. I think we are up to four different accounts, or maybe it's five.

To be honest I never checked the fine print and assumed it was for new accounts only.

PS: if you use and have a PayPal credit/debit card or your credit card company offers virtual CC numbers then you have an endless supply of new CC numbers.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote