Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oprah says the Kindle is her new favorite toy. So she pushes it on her show. Now we know that is total BS as she's giving away PDF.
I can't agree. Surely the reason she's giving away the PDF is that almost every computer can open that file format. And would it be better if she gave away an ebook formatted for Kindle alone?

Of course PDF is an annoying format, but I bet 95% of Oprah's audience would be baffled and annoyed if it was in any other format.

Geez, I can't believe I'm defending Ophrah!
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Oprah says the Kindle is her new favorite toy. So she pushes it on her show. Now we know that is total BS as she's giving away PDF.
She's also giving away Sony 700s in her Summer Give-Away but I don't think the chosen format has anything to do with the Kindle being her favorite thing. She would know that Kindle owners can convert the pdf for use on their Kindles, people who win a Sony can read the PDF, and those without Kindles or Sonys can read the PDF on their computers. She's hitting all the bases.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
She's also giving away Sony 700s in her Summer Give-Away but I don't think the chosen format has anything to do with the Kindle being her favorite thing. She would know that Kindle owners can convert the pdf for use on their Kindles, people who win a Sony can read the PDF, and those without Kindles or Sonys can read the PDF on their computers. She's hitting all the bases.
She's still alienating her fan base by being eBook clueless.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
No. She isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
Surely the reason she's giving away the PDF is that almost every computer can open that file format.

Of course PDF is an annoying format, but I bet 95% of Oprah's audience would be baffled and annoyed if it was in any other format.
- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
That's just your opinion. You have no idea about her fan base or how savvy they are about ebooks or anything. If they are savvy they will understand why she chose PDF (as I've described above). If they aren't they are just moving along with their lives and focusing on other things.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
This also ends up with a long tag inserted every couple of paragraphs, after converting to epub or mobi. Looks like about an hour of cleanup (search/replace doesn't find them all due to line breaks and various numbers added after the main info, plus date/time changes on them as you go thru the book).
I left it as pdf and while some of the page breaks are choppy when I switch it to larger fonts, it's nothing that I can't deal with since it is, in fact, FREE.

Quote:
So what if the Kindle is her new favorite toy. All I care about is that I can read the FREE ebook she's giving away. If it was a Kindle only format, I wouldn't be able to do that. I honestly don't care what reader she prefers, I care which reader I prefer and getting books I want on my reader is what matters to me.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
I can't agree. Surely the reason she's giving away the PDF is that almost every computer can open that file format. And would it be better if she gave away an ebook formatted for Kindle alone?

Geez, I can't believe I'm defending Ophrah!
Also if you'll notice, the last page of the book has been added in with direct links for people to buy a hardcopy version. Basically, they're offering the full PDF book as a teaser with the hopes that a percentage of the readers will start reading the PDF, then buy the hardcopy version to finish it. And I can guarantee that from a marketing perspective, that strategy will work.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Thanks! This book seems interesting.

I don't have ADE and directly saved the PDF on my computer instead of opening it in a Adobe's browser plugin. It was saved as a regular PDF that convert flawlessly to others formats.
BTW here is the direct link to the book :
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazi...ook-download-1
Appreciate the direct website link!

Also a big karma thanks to Spankypoo and his link for the password site: For the registration impaired. I didn't want to sign up for her website - no way!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
How did you convert it? I used calibre, and both LRF and MOBI added the file info to each page, as described by several posters earlier.
I used Mobipocket Creator to convert the PDF to a HTML file.
The file info appears only once, in the title of the HTML page.

I checked the conversion, it's almost perfect. Though a few pages numbers have tagged along, so if you want a perfect conversion you should crop the margin of the PDF first with a software like PDFill PDF Tools (to remove the page numbers).

My guess is that other converters like ConvertDoc would works quite correctly too ; as alas the PDF conversion feature of Calibre is not as good as the rest of the software.
As a rule I tend to convert first Pdf to doc or html before putting it through Calibre to generate my custom LRF.

Here the links to these software (they are both free) :

Mobipocket Creator

PDFill PDF Tools

Last edited by Faenad; 07-21-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #25
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:

I checked the conversion, it's almost perfect. Though a few pages numbers have tagged along, so if you want a perfect conversion you should crop the margin of the PDF first with a software like PDFill PDF Tools (to remove the page numbers).

My guess is that other converters like ConvertDoc would works quite correctly too ; as alas the PDF conversion feature of Calibre is not as good as the rest of the software.
As a rule I tend to convert first Pdf to doc or html before putting it through Calibre to generate my custom LRF.

Mobipocket Creator

PDFill PDF Tools
This is VERY much appreciated; thanks!
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #26
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:

Mobipocket Creator

PDFill PDF Tools
Bummer it is only for Windows
Anything for Apple users to convert?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I get...
Quote:
The free offer to download ill Ciment's irresistable new novel, Heroic Measures has expired, but you can start reading the first chapter of the book today.
...I guess I missed it.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #28
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Darn... I missed it too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Mac users can use Calibre - but the PDF conversion is not very good. I tried it and the book was nearly unreadable, as every couple of paragraphs there was info about the header: title name, conversion info, page numbers every other page, etc. Too bad, as it's other conversion generally are fine.

The mobi conversion looked good (and it was easy to edit the html, add a TOC and create a book, in a matter of minutes). Perhaps you could run it in a windows emulator on your mac?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Mac users can use Calibre - but the PDF conversion is not very good. I tried it and the book was nearly unreadable, as every couple of paragraphs there was info about the header: title name, conversion info, page numbers every other page, etc. Too bad, as it's other conversion generally are fine.

The mobi conversion looked good (and it was easy to edit the html, add a TOC and create a book, in a matter of minutes). Perhaps you could run it in a windows emulator on your mac?
Cringe, I would never want windows to touch my mac

Doesn't anyone use software on a mac that converts?

I guess I could sit at my windows computer, which I only do when I HAVE TO. What is the fastest and easiest software to use.

I agree the book is a mess using Calibre.

Thanks.
new is offline   Reply With Quote