Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
adixon
adixon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
beginner to prs505 reader

Will be getting a prs505 reader this x-mas and being a beginner could someone advise me how do I begin learning how to use the reader as well as the benefits of a reader?
adixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixon View Post
Will be getting a prs505 reader this x-mas and being a beginner could someone advise me how do I begin learning how to use the reader as well as the benefits of a reader?
read the wiki and then hit the forums.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reading the manual is always a good start.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reading the manual is always a good start.
There is a link to the manual from the wiki. I am trying to find and add these links to all the devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
You can download the desktop software for the Reader ("eBook Library") from Sony and install that. With that installed you can:
- Try out the Sony store (just browse or buy a book)
- Download and start reading some the free books available from the mobile read upload section.
- Try out some of the tools available from here to convert your own text files, PDF's, etc to a format suitable for the Reader (the eBook Library software has a display that will show you what a file will look like on the Reader). See the "Content" section of this forum for details.

You can also start collecting free books from many sites. See this thread for some starters:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052

If your local library supports checking out electronic copies of books in secure PDF or Adobe Digital Editions format, you can set up an account with them. (You'll need to download the free Adobe Digital Edition software and install that.)

Welcome aboard!

Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 11-28-2008 at 04:37 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
adixon

Actually my husband surprized me and gave me my X-mas gift today. I stop doing everything and have not put it down except to type this message that I love the PRS-505. He even got me the book cover with the light which is a dream. My friend who has the Kindle says I should have gotten the Kindle but I think I made the right decision for me with the Sony 505. Thanks for all the tips. I hope to make some time and read the manual as well as the Wiki to learn more about the reader. I still have no idea how to do anything but read the one book that I downloaded but look forward to becoming a sponge.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no worries adixon, Kindle owners always say you should have gotten a Kindle. I think its part of their purchase agreement .
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I still have no idea how to do anything but read the one book that I downloaded
You are well on your way! That is the main point for the device. All the rest will come naturally.... and the wiki and forum here is a bonus!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
also interesting might be:
in this folder you can find your ebooks:
E:\database\media\books

E being the drive of my Sony (is different on each computer)

You can drag and drop txt, pdf,lrf and lrx files there! *

*You'll need a pc for that.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixon View Post
Actually my husband surprized me and gave me my X-mas gift today. I stop doing everything and have not put it down except to type this message that I love the PRS-505. He even got me the book cover with the light which is a dream. My friend who has the Kindle says I should have gotten the Kindle but I think I made the right decision for me with the Sony 505. Thanks for all the tips. I hope to make some time and read the manual as well as the Wiki to learn more about the reader. I still have no idea how to do anything but read the one book that I downloaded but look forward to becoming a sponge.
Hi, adixon, I understand how you feel about the Sony 505 as I, too, own one.

Don't forget that we also have thousands of public domain and Creative Commons titles here on MobileRead -- all for free and lovingly assembled by a number of individuals.

Have fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi adixon. Enjoy your 505. I got one back in January and really like it.

And be sure and check libraries that lend out eBooks here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries There isn't one listed for the Pittsburgh area but some will allow out-of-towners to join. I borrow eBooks from the Fairfax Library for free and have them to read for 21 days.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Adixon--enjoy your new reader!

One place to check for libraries that lend e-books in your area is search.overdrive.com.

Also, I belong to the New York Library--even though I live in California. (I also belong to three Calif libraries ). The NYPL will allow out of state residents to join for $100 a year, and they have an incredibly large selection of books for download.

http://ebooks.nypl.org/DE013CC6-8E38...en/default.htm

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I second Dr. Drib's comment. The easiest way to get more content is to start with the excellent library here at MobileRead. Congrats on the Reader!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
adixon

I don't have the time to read as much as I would love but discovered having this reader will assist me. While stuck in a drive thru line at McDonalds picking up something for my grandson to eat I pulled out my reader and was able to read while waiting. I should probably get to reading the users guide and the Wiki files to get a better understanding of the terms that I read in the posts as well as beginning to learn how to perform all the functions. I found the link which tells you how to customize my reader but to be honest it still seems well beyond my level.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
You can always read the user manual on the reader itself

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-03-2008 at 11:10 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote