Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #256
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not that straightforward. Sony would need to define a dictionary format (you need to have a special format for dictionaries to allow efficient lookups) and then provide tools to allow the major publishers of dictionaries - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc - to do the probably considerable work of converting their dictionaries to that new format and pursuade those publishers that it's commercial worth their while to do it.

It's not a 5 minute job.
The thing is Harry, that they might already have started.

If thosed publishers were present at the launch, they probably knew about the new device as Sony was negotiation the deal for more books.

You're right, i'll take some time, but I'll take a guess and say that at least a couple of small dictionaries will be available at Launch or just after it goes on sale to showcase the feature, with more following soon.

And for the comment on Mobi being the format that most dictionaries are in is true but most if not all are also available as MS Reader and a few for eReader as well.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #257
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Well, there goes then the only feature I really like in the 700.
I think it's a safe bet that if Sony enables the 700 with usable dictionary features, they will sell a dictionary for it. It may not be a simple effort, but it can't be terribly onerous.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 10-07-2008 at 08:16 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #258
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
You're right, i'll take some time, but I'll take a guess and say that at least a couple of small dictionaries will be available at Launch or just after it goes on sale to showcase the feature, with more following soon.
I very much hope that you're right .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #259
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
And of course you can all add your voice here. As they say, every little bit count, and who knows - maybe they will announce dictionary support by the time they bring the device to market.

They can always release it in epub format, for example, with the support of Adobe. That way, they can sell it to the big guys of dictionary publishing by telling them this will be the first dictionary in an open format .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #260
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
They can always release it in epub format, for example, with the support of Adobe. That way, they can sell it to the big guys of dictionary publishing by telling them this will be the first dictionary in an open format .
Unfortunately the ePub standard does not currently define any format for dictionaries - except as normal books. Dictionaries need to have some kind of internal "database" type format to allow efficient lookups, with clear separation of "lookup terms" and their definitions; you can't just do a text search of a dictionary.

Since ePub is a "proper" open standard, the addition of dictionaries to that standard would require ratification by the standard committee - it wouldn't just be a question of Sony or Adobe "inventing" their own standard for it.
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #261
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It's not that straightforward. Sony would need to define a dictionary format (you need to have a special format for dictionaries to allow efficient lookups) and then provide tools to allow the major publishers of dictionaries - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc - to do the probably considerable work of converting their dictionaries to that new format and pursuade those publishers that it's commercial worth their while to do it.

It's not a 5 minute job.
True... but it Sony provides a tool to convert an existing Mobi format dictionary to Sony's format/indexing then the dictionary makers could quickly make their content available.

Of course, Sony has never had a lookup dictionary feature before. So, if they haven't even started on putting this feature in to the reader than it could be a while. Also, if they are using Adobe's code for the PDF readers they would need to work with Adobe to have the dictionary lookup work the same in PDF/ePub books as it does with BBeB books.

All that said I wouldn't expect to see dictionary lookup on a 700 for quite a while... unless the open source community does it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #262
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
There are simple ways to search text dictionaries. One is to add ":" after each entry and then add ":" to each word you want to find. Some dictionaries come this way, others have a line return after each entry, some come in bold so you only search words with a return or in bold... And every single entry to a dictionary comes right after a line return (^p).

I know nothing about this, but were I to look for an entry in a txt dictionary using MSWord, I would use a macro to search for "^pentry". I would try to get things a little more complicated and try to search for "^pentr*" if "entry" was not there, then "^pent*" and so on until I got the closest word to the entry I want.

If an ignorant like me can manage to conceive this, it shouldn't be very difficult for the guys working with dictionaries around here.

But that wouldn't work with the 505. It would work with the 700.

Last edited by Peto; 10-07-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #263
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Pretty much all the dictionaries out there are in DRM-protected Mobipocket format. Somehow I can't see Mobi being willing to licence that technology to Sony - they have a strict policy of insisting on "exclusivity" when it comes to DRM-provision on a device.
There are LIT dictionaries and eReader dictionaries. Even my eBookwise has a dictionary. Sony originally define a format for their libre so I don't think they need to buy the format from Mobipocket. They just need to devote the time and energy to get one ready.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #264
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, Sony has never had a lookup dictionary feature before. So, if they haven't even started on putting this feature in to the reader than it could be a while.
I am afraid this is false, my Sony Librie has support for dictionaries. In other words, in the past they had a format for dictionaries. .

What I do not know is whether right now theare are reasons to not use this format and create a new one.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #265
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Probably means they have a dictionary or two gathering virtual dust somewhere then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #266
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
I am afraid this is false, my Sony Librie has support for dictionaries. In other words, in the past they had a format for dictionaries. .
That's great news - I wasn't aware of that!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #267
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
That's great news - I wasn't aware of that!
The BBeB format has a variant designed for dictionary lookup, IIRC.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #268
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm also interested in the changes the Sony Ebook store will have as mentioned by an ealier report. Any word on when we should expect to see those changes?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #269
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Meh. I'm underwhelmed. Despite just buying the 505, I would have considered upgrading if Sony's new offering really blew the 505 out of the water.

At $100 more than the 505 for touchscreen functionality and some improved features (like search, which is pretty irrelevant to me), and without any wireless connectivity, I can't really say I think it's worth it. As for the integrated "frontlight", it would be nice if the 505 had it, but with the availability of the integrated cover/light, it's hard for me to justify the price.

And as I posted in the other thread, I've seen Plastic Logic's touchscreen "swiping" motion and I wasn't impressed. I hope that Sony has improved upon it, at least.

But at least it looks like we are getting a revamped bookstore, so that's a major plus!
I couldn't disgree more. Wireless connectivity is a pain, IMHO. If you do have wireless, please give me a manual kill switch like HP laptops.

What I need is
(1) MUCH more storage via SD and MSPD cards. Why does the PRS-505 max out it's SD card slot at 2GB when there are 128GB SDHC cards at Fry's?
(2) USB OTG (on-the-go) for reading USB Hard Disks
(3) A file browsing system that is NOT that <expletive> <expletive> mother <expletive> card-catalog thingy the PRS-505 uses.

I use my PRS-505 with a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, several 2.5" hard disks, and a solar/battery charger to access a multi-terabyte library. I would love to replace both the PRS-505 (reader) and the N800 (used for file browsing, editing meta data, and accessing the hard disks) with a PRS-700.

(If you are not trying to archive all human knowledge in a single ammo can, this will not apply to you.)

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #270
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
What I need is
(1) MUCH more storage via SD and MSPD cards. Why does the PRS-505 max out it's SD card slot at 2GB when there are 128GB SDHC cards at Fry's?
You seem to be a little behind the times. The most recent firmware update added SDHC card support to the 505.

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen