Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 AM   #1
flink
Banned
flink began at the beginning.

Device: Android/Linux/Windows
Custom Metadata fields on "Adding Books?"

Hi,

Is the any way to add a custom metadata column to the "Adding Book" screen? I have a book number that I'd like to add to a custom metadata column during import.
flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can specify a tag to be added to all books when adding via Preferences->Adding books->Adding actions
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@flink - you might be able to make use of the Get File Name plugin, I use it to populate a 'book source' custom column based on file path of book added.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
flink
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can specify a tag to be added to all books when adding via Preferences->Adding books->Adding actions
Thanks, Kovidgoyal. What I was wanting to do was have my custom column appear on the Adding Books window so that I could test the regex strings. I've been having a problem getting a piece of info out of the filename into my custom column. I've been asking about this in another thread.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
flink
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@flink - you might be able to make use of the Get File Name plugin, I use it to populate a 'book source' custom column based on file path of book added.

BR
@BetterRed, I'll take a look at this tonight. Is that written in Python? Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flink View Post
@BetterRed, I'll take a look at this tonight. Is that written in Python? Thanks!
Yes, it's written in python.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah you are asking about reading metadata from a filename into a custom column. No, that cannot be done. But you can read metadata into some unused standard colmn, such as publisher and then copy the metadata into a cusotm column in bulk via the search replace tab of the bulk metadata edit dialog.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
flink
Banned

Quote:
Ah you are asking about reading metadata from a filename into a custom column. No, that cannot be done. But you can read metadata into some unused standard colmn, such as publisher and then copy the metadata into a cusotm column in bulk via the search replace tab of the bulk metadata edit dialog.
Hi Kovid,

That's what I'm going to try.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
LuckyLivre
LuckyLivre began at the beginning.

Device: none
Copy Column

Quote:
Hi Kovid, love Calibre. Thank you very much for all your work. I am positive this procedure is covered somewhere, but can't find it in Wiki or help etc. I am trying to copy the contents of a standard Calibre column to my custom column. You just mentioned above that it can be done via the search replace tab of the bulk edit dialog, but there I am stuck. How to refer to a fieldname? For example, I want to copy the contents of "comments" (very short string) to my custom field #length. If you could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
LuckyLivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLivre View Post
Hi Kovid, love Calibre. Thank you very much for all your work. I am positive this procedure is covered somewhere, but can't find it in Wiki or help etc. I am trying to copy the contents of a standard Calibre column to my custom column. You just mentioned above that it can be done via the search replace tab of the bulk edit dialog, but there I am stuck. How to refer to a fieldname? For example, I want to copy the contents of "comments" (very short string) to my custom field #length. If you could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
REGEX mode
source field:comments
source pattern: (.+)
destination field: <select from pulldown list>
Destination Value: \1

That said. comments is a blob type field and can get huge. Use care
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote