Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Still have and love a 350 and a 650. I don't use the 650 as much any more--since I purchased a Kindle PW2 and recently received a Kobo Aura HD as a present. but the 350 is a wonderful size--very portable. I agree with Ripplinger--wish Sony had continued with the 350/650 series but added a front light. That was the main reason I branched out to the Kindle and Kobo--wanted something with a front light.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I still love my pink 350 and my T2!

And there is still a 505 in use in my household too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #18
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
I don't love my T3. It's a good reader, but to love it it would have to consist of stainless steel and to support big libraries on your 32GB SDcard.
It's a matter of time before the plastic pseudo chrome finish of the buttons wears off and shows underlying black plastic.

However, I will certainly miss Sony and their Readers. No need for inferiorly illuminated devices.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For some ridiculous reason the blue readers were only released in Europe and Japan. None of the sellers will or can ship to the US because of new rules about shipping batteries in devices. So I had a friend from Denmark bid on and get one of them, and someone from London got the other. They are absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea what their marketing people are thinking when they make decisions like that.

I had a dark solid navy blue skin on my boring silver US reader (pink isn't for me) to try and look like the blue readers, but it didn't compare to the real thing in blue. The other nice thing about the blue reader is that the buttons are black instead of the shiny chrome. I would take the cutout from the skin around the keys and carefully place it over the chrome keys, worked perfectly.
Yep, Sony marketing sucked. Weird decisions. No front-light. That was the nail in the coffin.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I really like my gorgeous blue 350 to look at (though not as much as Ripplinger ), I just don't enjoy reading on it as much as my PW2. It feels like the older reader it is.

I'm still very happy to use it as my 'travel' ereader though, it's not like there is a better option available anyway. The Kobo Mini was cheap for a while but I don't think it is an improvement.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650 and now I T1 and I like both. But I am in the mood for the new Kobo Aura H2O. The Sony is good, but the lack on frontlight and other customization via setting in the firmware make the Sony a kind of plain Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I still own my 650 and 950. I can't bare to part with either. Even though I jumped the Sony Ship after the T-1 (terrible device IMO) and move to Kindle. I charge the batteries once in a while to keep them fresh.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
What do you feel is wrong with the T1? Our two T1s seem to be fine devices.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #24
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I think the design and quality of Sony readers is not matched by any of the other companies. Too bad they are leaving the market.
Hardware-wise, I think I agree. But I'm appalled by the very poor quality software on the T2. Which wouldn't even be a problem if they'd left the Android system open to you installing other readers and launchers (and no, mine is just slightly too recent to be rooted).
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I still have my three

PRS-650, PRS-T1 and PRS-T3. Of the three, the T3 is becoming my favourite.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Still using my PRS-650 here. Still rock solid after three and a half years, and the battery's holding up well. What a fantastic device.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Ditto.
Still using my PRS-600, T1, T2 & T3 devices.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
merrygoblin
merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-650, HTC Desire
Smile

Still using my PRS-650. It's battery still holds up well enough (*touch wood*) and I can buy epubs from anywhere and put them on using calibre. It also has the metal build quality that the later Sony's (and other brands) didn't. Don't need a built-in screen light (I usually read in the same conditions you would a paper book, and they don't have built-in lights), and have an external screen light I can easily clip-on if needed. Nor do I feel the need to have the latest super-white screen, or have loads of apps on it. I just want something I can read with.

All that said, if/when it finally dies, it's likely to get replaced by a Kobo of some form on the current market offerings, now that Sony are out of the game.
merrygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #29
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I love my T1 passionately. It has some quirks, and I would LOVE to have side page turn buttons (me love one handed operation) and I don't know what I'll do when it dies.

My Nexus 7 tablet is nearly perfect ergonomically, but I can't read for long periods on it - I really do need e-ink for reading. I don't need a frontlight - I have lamps, thankyouverymuch - but I do love the direct library downloads on the Sony and I don't think anyone else offers that. Also the large numbers of foreign language dictionaries of the T1.

Now, if I could combine the ergonomics of the N7 with the light weight and usability of the Sony, I'd be in ereader heaven.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #30
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
ME!! I just got a lighted case for my T3. And a spare or two.....
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote