Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
pstoddard61
pstoddard61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some observations of freezing kindle

I started having the freeze problem today, and here is what I found out after troubleshooting for awhile.

1. Whoever makes this thing has managed to put an extremely slow processor in the device. I have to be sure to give kindle time to do all the background things it needs to do -- sorting, indexing etc. I suspect some of the freezing has to do with my not giving the processor time to work.

2. The RAM must be very limited. I went wild downloading stuff from Gutenberg.org. I just had too much stuff on the kindle. I removed most of it, and the kindle started working again.

3. The USB plug on the kindle is loose. I finally got the USB working again by sticking the plug part way in, not all the way.

4. I have a 4 GB memory chip in it, and I don't think that was causing the freezes. I think I just downloaded too much text for the limited resources on the device.
pstoddard61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've heard other Kindle owners mentioning the slow down if they put a lot of books on it at the same time
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello pstoddard61,

Would you please cite some numbers of your usage scenario. For example, if I want to experience the same freezing, what steps should I take to recreate the scenario?

Thanks.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I know adding a number of books definitely slows down my Kindle and quickly drains the battery. What I received my replacement Kindle and charged it I immediately added my SD card with around 600 books and left my Kindle on all night. It wasn't plugged in and was totally drained by the next morning.

Haven't seen any freezing but mine is still 1.0 and I'm most likely at the end of the queue since the update was announced right after my replacement Kindle arrived and the replacement is 1.0 (I checked).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Hello pstoddard61,

Would you please cite some numbers of your usage scenario. For example, if I want to experience the same freezing, what steps should I take to recreate the scenario?

Thanks.
One member here bought the Silk pagoda DVD (the one with 10k ebooks). He loaded the contents of the entire DVD on to his Kindle. His Kindle tended to crash at around 6 thousand titles.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstoddard61 View Post
I started having the freeze problem today, and here is what I found out after troubleshooting for awhile.

1. Whoever makes this thing has managed to put an extremely slow processor in the device. I have to be sure to give kindle time to do all the background things it needs to do -- sorting, indexing etc. I suspect some of the freezing has to do with my not giving the processor time to work.

2. The RAM must be very limited. I went wild downloading stuff from Gutenberg.org. I just had too much stuff on the kindle. I removed most of it, and the kindle started working again.

3. The USB plug on the kindle is loose. I finally got the USB working again by sticking the plug part way in, not all the way.

4. I have a 4 GB memory chip in it, and I don't think that was causing the freezes. I think I just downloaded too much text for the limited resources on the device.
It's not a hardware problem. The Kindle has a 400Mhz CPU; that's more than my first 3 computers combined.

The problem is in the software. There is an upper limit on the number of files you can load on to the Kindle (around 6,000).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
This alone is reason enough to contact amazon and get a replacement. Otherwise, the port may fail altogether. I'm sure they will gladly replace it.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I never had a freezing problem until I updated to the new version. Now I know not to be so silly and update right away.

I wish I could go back to the old version. But lesson learned I suppose.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
pstoddard61

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Hello pstoddard61,

Thanks.
I received my Kindle on Feb 1, and started downloading books. During the week of Feb 11-15 I bought a Kingston SD2/4 GB memory chip for it. I accumulated 75 MB worth of books, and started seeing freezes. I removed most of the books, and as of 22 Feb I now have 23.4 MB for 42 files. The Kingston memory is still in the device but is empty.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
pstoddard61

Quote:
I received my Kindle on Feb 1, and started downloading books. During the week of Feb 11-15 I bought a Kingston SD2/4 GB memory chip for it. I accumulated 75 MB worth of books, and started seeing freezes. I removed most of the books, and as of 22 Feb I now have 23.4 MB for 42 files. The Kingston memory is still in the device but is empty.
Let me just add that I am going to start adding some of the books back, to see if I can reproduce the problem. It might be a capacity problem, or I might have gotten a bad file somewhere.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I would think the slowdown and battery drain are related to the software indexing the books for the search feature. Once the books are all fully indexed it should settle back down.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
reedg_01
Addictive Personality
reedg_01 began at the beginning.

6,000 file capacity?

So, the Kindle slows and freezes beyond 6000 files, even when many of the files are on the SD card?

Would it be advisable to use the SD card as portable storage instead of keeping it fully loaded in the unit? I suppose that would negate the wonderful indexing and search features, though...<<This is me until the frappin' thing arrives! (Ordered 2/24)
reedg_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedg_01 View Post
Would it be advisable to use the SD card as portable storage instead of keeping it fully loaded in the unit?
The indexes get rather unwieldy with a lot of books. I've got less than 400 books, and I thought THAT was a lot!

Regarding storing on the SD card -- if you put files into a directory that is NOT named "documents" then the Kindle doesn't see them. But you can carry them around with you -- and move them to the "documents" folder (using a computer, or perhaps a pda) when you want to switch batches of books that show up in the index. For instance: "futureBooks" "BooksDone" etc.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
reedg_01
Addictive Personality
reedg_01 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The indexes get rather unwieldy with a lot of books. I've got less than 400 books, and I thought THAT was a lot!

Regarding storing on the SD card -- if you put files into a directory that is NOT named "documents" then the Kindle doesn't see them. But you can carry them around with you -- and move them to the "documents" folder (using a computer, or perhaps a pda) when you want to switch batches of books that show up in the index. For instance: "futureBooks" "BooksDone" etc.
This is fantastic!
reedg_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there any eink reading device that doesn't bog down at all with hundreds of eBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote