Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
paul_01
paul_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How to define the "Start" or "Beginning" page in Calibre

Hi,

I can't seem to define the "Start" or "Beginning" page when converting the raw HTML file to mobi in Calibre. It seems like most of the Kindle books I download start at Chapter One, missing out the front matter. This is how I would like to format Kindle books.

It's a simple matter in mobipocket (there's a dialog box in the Guide section) What this does, is add a line to the OPF file in the Reference Section.

I have tried using "Start reading at Xpath Expression" in Calibre under the Structure Detection menu, but haven't had any success.

I've researched this online but haven’t found a solution.

Can Calibre do this? How? If not it seems like a must-have wish list item.

thx
paul_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are converting epub add the line to the opf in the epub using the tweak book feature and then convert it. If you are converting some other format, use the start reading at xpath expression. Read the Xpath tutorial in the user manual if you cant figure out how to use XPath.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Skeezix
Enthusiast
Skeezix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Here's how I do it:

When converting to MOBI, make sure you have "debug" turned on. After the conversion, go to the "processed" folder in wherever you put the debug output. Edit the content.opf in there and add this line to the <guide> section:

Code:
<reference href="mybook.html#start" type="start" title="Startup Page"/>
(Obviously, substitute your HTML file and anchor in there.)

Then, zip all the content in that processed folder and add the zip to Calibre. Convert that zip to a MOBI and it will retain your start page.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
paul_01
paul_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kovid - I'm creating Kindle books direct from HTML not converting an epub. I did look at the Xpath tutorial and made several attempts but without success. It might be beyond the skillset of most authors to figure out Xpath.

Skeezix - Hadn't thought about that. Thanks - that ought to work.
paul_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
WykenSeagrave
WykenSeagrave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This works

Create an anchor (called a bookmark in Microsoft Word)
Call it start
Within Calibre, use the XPath expression in the “Start reading at” field
//h:a[@name='start']

This works for both EPUB and MOBI output.
WykenSeagrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
PeterM2
PeterM2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This doesn't work for me (convertion docx to mobi):
The log file says "Setting start reading at position to <different formula for example the above with using a bookmark field, or other Formula searching for a unique text in the chapter>".
But the kindle preview tool says "Start reading: not given" (german translation) when opening the book property dialog and the start page is always the first page (title).
Thanks in advance.
Any suggestions
PeterM2 is offline   Reply With Quote