Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #76
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Something odd has happened to my rooted t1.

I no longer have the choice between AGWLauncher and Home when I hit the middle button (I didn't check the default box). It just uses AGWLauncher and I have no access to Sony's software.

When I open a book, I no longer have the choice between Coolreader and Reader. No access to Sony's software at all. When I try to open Sony's reader software from the icon in AGWLauncher, it just gives the message "Please wait..." and nothing happens.

I don't know why this happened, and I don't recall messing around with anything. Just reading books.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #77
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhialtoFalu View Post
Yes! I was rather disappointed that the T1 completely flattens my well-constructed file hierarchy. It just dumps all books in one big pile!
You haven't owned any ebook devices, have you? They all put the books into one big list, and let you organize them by "collections" - Kindle, Sony, nook. Well, I am not sure if nook even supports collections.

Root Explorer is a pretty decent file manager. I don't see why you can't install another one.

Quote:
I have a question about the installation procedure. I don't use MSWindows, but the flash_reader.bat file runs a windows exe file "ebook_msc.exe name PRS-T1 um recovery". What does that do? Is there an equivalent for Unix (say, NetBSD or Ubuntu)?
This executable uses a Sony API, which is only available for Windows at this time.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #78
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
I no longer have the choice between AGWLauncher and Home when I hit the middle button (I didn't check the default box). It just uses AGWLauncher and I have no access to Sony's software.
You should be able to go go to Manage Applications, and find AWDLauncher, and look up the "Launch by default" button, and switch it off.

Or you can edit the file /data/system/packages.xml, empty out the "preferred-activities" section.

Or you can install the rescue package, and re-install the root. It's up to you. You should be able to call Content Manager from the AWDLauncher though.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #79
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
You haven't owned any ebook devices, have you? They all put the books into one big list, and let you organize them by "collections" - Kindle, Sony, nook.
It is my first brand-name one. The previous one was some OEMed thing, which actually did offer the option to navigate the file hierarchy (besides the default of the flat list, which I outgrew after putting more than a screen-full of books on it).
Collections don't nest. I don't understand why the makers of these things don't understand that that is insufficient functionality.
Quote:
This executable uses a Sony API, which is only available for Windows at this time.
Hmmmm. A pity.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #80
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Or you can install the rescue package, and re-install the root. It's up to you. You should be able to call Content Manager from the AWDLauncher though.
I've installed the rescue package mainly because I need Sony's software for reading PDFs. I will reinstall the root when/if the page turn buttons are made to work in the browser, because this issue is a big headache for reading online.

Thanks for your efforts!
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #81
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
You should be able to go go to Manage Applications, and find AWDLauncher, and look up the "Launch by default" button, and switch it off.

Or you can edit the file /data/system/packages.xml, empty out the "preferred-activities" section.

Or you could try installing an app like home switcher
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #82
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
I've installed the rescue package mainly because I need Sony's software for reading PDFs. I will reinstall the root when/if the page turn buttons are made to work in the browser, because this issue is a big headache for reading online.

Thanks for your efforts!
Well, if the button change was the main problem, it could have been resolved by just removing the last two lines from the /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl:
Code:
key 105   DPAD_UP
key 106   DPAD_DOWN
The reason I added those was for the CoolReader to be able to accept input from the page turn buttons. If you are OK with swipe-paging in CoolReader, or you don't use CoolReader at all, you can reverse this fix quite easily.

If you are familiar with Linux and vi, you can boot into the recovery mode, log into the serial terminal, mount /dev/mmcblk2p10 on /tmp/system, go to /tmp/system/usr/keylayout directory, and edit this file.

Even easier, and not requiring any Linux knowledge whatsoever: you can remove sdcard\updates\system\usr folder from my install package after unpacking it, before running the flash_reader.bat script. This will install the root package without modifying any button functions.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #83
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Or you could try installing an app like home switcher
Where can I get it, since I don't have access to the Android Market or the Amazon appstore?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #84
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
The reason I added those was for the CoolReader to be able to accept input from the page turn buttons. If you are OK with swipe-paging in CoolReader, or you don't use CoolReader at all, you can reverse this fix quite easily.
Isn't Coolreader opensource? Maybe it would be easier to modify it instead?

I do appreciate having Coolreader available since it has more options than Sony's software.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #85
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
After going through this thread and all the files in Boroda's "minimal set 1", I am still unsure if this hack can do what I need: Basically, I only want to replace (or add) the system fonts (those used for LRF display). Running Android applications may be nice and all, but for the moment, I would be content with getting my favorite fonts to show without having to embed them in all books separately. Porkupan's comment about Asian fonts (post #34) suggests that it is indeed possible with this hack, but the reference is very vague. Could someone elaborate, please? Boroda? Thanks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #86
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Basically, I only want to replace (or add) the system fonts (those used for LRF display).
Well, there is no LRF in T1, but I know what you mean.

The root should open you the door to do anything you want on the T1. It let's you become ROOT in Linux - is there any more power than that? You can log into shell, you can flash new files, replace font files (in /ebook/fonts), remove, add fonts - whatever you please.

As far as what the root package actually does with the fonts - it doesn't do anything. It was not the purpose of root to change the fonts. Its purpose was to open the door, so you can change the fonts.

BTW, I don't know where the CSS files for the fonts are, and where the Resource root for Adobe API is on T1. I assume the fonts change is achieved via replacing userStyle.css, as it is done on the nook. But I haven't been searching for its location yet.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #87
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Even easier, and not requiring any Linux knowledge whatsoever: you can remove sdcard\updates\system\usr folder from my install package after unpacking it, before running the flash_reader.bat script. This will install the root package without modifying any button functions.
I'd like to inform you that I went from the stock firmware to the minimal set after deleting /sdcard/updates/system/usr and there was no effect. Page turn buttons do not work in the browser. Maybe I missed something. I could try editing the file with vi as you suggested.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #88
porkupan
Fanatic

Ah, but before updating you should have removed the "updates" folder from the "internal memory". You can reapply the rescue update, then remove the updates folder, and reapply the Root.

BTW, I updated the packages last night, added checksums checking for updates files. If you get the new root package, you will need to remove the line with gpio-keys.kl from sdcard/tmp/checksums file.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-29-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: details added
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #89
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ah, but before updating you should have removed the "updates" folder from the "internal memory". You can reapply the rescue update, then remove the updates folder, and reapply the Root.

BTW, I updated the packages last night, added checksums checking for updates files. If you get the new root package, you will need to remove the line with gpio-keys.kl from sdcard/tmp/checksums file.
It worked perfectly, including the page turn buttons like I asked. This is really nice for reading online content, such as Google Reader. The mobile version of Google Reader works very well with the prs-t1.

It seems EbookDroid has been added, which is very cool. Thanks!

One thing that's odd is that the "Reader" app doesn't load when called from AGWLauncher. It just says "Please Wait..." but nothing happens. It loads fine from the Content Manager.

Last edited by darseno; 10-30-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #90
porkupan
Fanatic

Reader App requires a file reference to be passed into it. If you start it on it's own, it just hangs. Sony bug, I suppose.

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony