Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
ckole
Edge User

Bug: Can't add items to the library and existin items corrupted

Interesting bug and I will submit a ticket. Many of the items in my library won't open and cause the e-ink side to crash. Most of them are PDF's but some are epub. You can't even load the manual once the device crashes. After several reboots I removed the battery to see if this would help. It seemed to clear the total crash of the e-ink side but you still get an error when trying to load the document. Some of the items that won't open have annotations that I will likely lose which doesn't make me happy.

Bug Part II: I can open PDF docs from SD Card Storage but cannot load them into the library. You get an ! error with the folder path for the internal storage each time.

I really hope the ability to add things to the library which stay on the SD Card will be a new feature.

If anyone has had a similar issue please post it. I will post any results/resolutions suggested.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Interesting bug and I will submit a ticket. Many of the items in my library won't open and cause the e-ink side to crash. Most of them are PDF's but some are epub. You can't even load the manual once the device crashes. After several reboots I removed the battery to see if this would help. It seemed to clear the total crash of the e-ink side but you still get an error when trying to load the document. Some of the items that won't open have annotations that I will likely lose which doesn't make me happy.

Bug Part II: I can open PDF docs from SD Card Storage but cannot load them into the library. You get an ! error with the folder path for the internal storage each time.

I really hope the ability to add things to the library which stay on the SD Card will be a new feature.

If anyone has had a similar issue please post it. I will post any results/resolutions suggested.
Hmmm.....I can do this now. I have docs and pdf's on my SD card and have added them to the library. Works fine for me.
Yours doesn't do this?

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
VenturingSoul
Edge User

I see. I didn't see it listed in any of the directories shown on the Internal storage so just assumed that it was still only on the SD card. Now that you mention it, I do seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that the mysterious "Library" doesn't show up on your internal memory when you look at Storage.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
ckole
Edge User

My library is obviously somehow corrupted and not sure how to rebuild it. When I connect the eDGe to my pc there are files in the .edge (hidden folder) that don't show up in my library. So there needs to be a better way to manage this stuff. Not sure what happened. I always do the unmount thing since enTourage warns you of possible problems. What I don't see is what to do if you do have a problem. While it is not a huge deal to erase everything in my current library and start over I can't assure this will resolve the issue.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
ckole
Edge User

Here is the tech support dept reply:
"
We are looking into this issue and discussing possible causes of this corruption. We would like to get your eDGe to our office so we can fix the corruption and look at the root cause of the issue. We may also be able to recover your data including your annotations if you would like us to attempt that.

If its ok, I would like to set up an RMA. If you send me a shipping address and contact phone number I will email you an overnight shipping label to use to send the eDGe back to us. If you don't have a shipping box and packing material available I can ship you an empty box with a return label enclosed instead of emailing you a label.

Thank you,
Tech Support"

I am not really keen on sending my eDGe back to them. That is a pain. Package it up, go to drop it off, wait for delivery, etc, etc. So I will see what other alternatives I have. Just thought I wold provide an update.

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Here is the tech support dept reply:
"
We are looking into this issue and discussing possible causes of this corruption. We would like to get your eDGe to our office so we can fix the corruption and look at the root cause of the issue. We may also be able to recover your data including your annotations if you would like us to attempt that.

If its ok, I would like to set up an RMA. If you send me a shipping address and contact phone number I will email you an overnight shipping label to use to send the eDGe back to us. If you don't have a shipping box and packing material available I can ship you an empty box with a return label enclosed instead of emailing you a label.

Thank you,
Tech Support"

I am not really keen on sending my eDGe back to them. That is a pain. Package it up, go to drop it off, wait for delivery, etc, etc. So I will see what other alternatives I have. Just thought I wold provide an update.
Even though it is really a pain (and I would feel the same), think of the good that you would be doing for future purchasers of the product. If support cannot get their hands on units that do unexpected things, it is less likely that they can find and fix the root causes.
Maybe they could ship you a "Loaner" and you could send yours back in that packaging. Not sure they would want to do this, but if they really want to find the problem and stamp it out, it would be wise for them to offer this.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Think of it as the privilege of being an early adopter -- aka well appreciated beta tester. You didn't have to endure a script of seventy-three nonsense questions from tech support about how you found the problem. And they will take care of shipping in both directions.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
ckole
Edge User

The restore function won't help - per tech support. The privilege of being an early adopter should come with a prize.

I will probably send it back. I am not happy about this at all. While I am NOT making a comparison to the iPad I will say that the Apple store local support is very nice. I know enTourage isn't in the same league but what happens when another non user repairable issue comes up. So I am just venting a bit and this is Strike 1. Everything else has been good with the device other than all of the currently known issues. You know the early adopter ones.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
ckole
Edge User

We are still working on this issue. What is currently taking place is that even when you delete everything from the Library there are files which remain in the .edge folder. I can't get rid of them. I am wondering if anyone has been able to access this folder from the eDGe itself and not when connected to a PC. When you connect the device to a PC I am getting drive errors which cannot be fixed. I am trying to convince enTourage to do an exchange vs shipping this one back and waiting for repair.

What's interesting is if you do a Factory Reset it doesn't erase the files in the library folder, download folder, or pretty much anything else you have put on the internal storage. This really needs to be fixed to a true factory reset. If you were to sell the device and want to wipe it clean you really can't do that.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
jonnickell
Edge User

Send it in....customer support is way fast. I had an e-ink screen problem and support emailed me an overnight lable. They got it fixed it and somehow got all the way accross the nation to me in Washingon state in less than 24 hrs from when they had it in their hands. This is astounding service. Nobody can do better than that not even that unnamed fruit company (even if it is one of Washingtons main xports ).

Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
ckole
Edge User

Instead of shipping it they are working on a file I can load which will truly wipe the device and start over. This should help many more people when it is complete. I will let everyone know the results and hope that in future versions of the OS enTourage will create a real factory reset option. Even if it wipes out the updates that's fine. Glad you situation worked out so well.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
ckole
Edge User

So here's an update: I downloaded a large update file today from enTourage. For some reason it would not work when downloaded onto 2 of my Windows 7 machines. No matter what I would do they update wouldn't work. So in a final attempt at a solution I fired up Linux on my netbook and re-downloaded the file. This worked. Win 7 was adding something to each download so the eDGe couldn't read the zip file properly.

The important thing is everything seems to be working again. I restored some content using the Archive feature and the rest is on my SD card so no big deal. It was just frustrating with the Win 7 issues. In the end this is much better than shipping the device back. I hope at some point the restore option on the device will do the same thing as this update file.