Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you mark (annotate) your ebooks? (notes, bookmarks, etc)
Never 71 53.79%
Sometimes 34 25.76%
Often 9 6.82%
Almost Always 7 5.30%
Yes, it's very important to me. 11 8.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Simple Poll- Do your mark (annotate) your books?

A very simple poll...
Do you mark (annotate) your ebooks as you read?

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I get books to read them not scribble on them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I get books to read them not scribble on them...
Quoted for truth.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I was raised that books were for reading and you mark the pages with a bookmark. Any notes about the book should be put into a notebook or on notepaper that could be put into the book. My parents would even frown on bending over the corners to mark pages and made sure we knew how to read a book without breaking the spine. Most of the books I own have been read many times and still look almost new.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's one of the things I find very nice about ebooks - I can mark them without damaging them. I can highlight passages I like or want to return to. I can keep track of running themes or character traits and words I want to steal for my own vocabulary.

Paper books? Never.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Only if they've got lots of typos.

But seriously, I use bookmarks for paper books, but only to mark where I'm currently reading.

If I want to make actual notes, that's why Post-It notes were invented, and I have a stack of the kind with the lines. I would not write or highlight inside an actual paper book, because I like mine to stay reasonably pristine, and also, resale value considerations.

E-books get marked up more frequently, but according to the same pattern.

I'm much more likely to mark/highlight a funny/meaningful/informative passage I might want to get back to later, since you can't really flip through e-books the same way and sometimes the search function is unhelpful if you don't remember exact phrasing.

But I still mainly mark up e-books for future typo-fixing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Hard copies of books? Never. Sometimes I'll keep a small piece of paper in the book as a book-mark that has some small notes on it, but I wont mark the book at all.

With ebooks, I'll toss the occasional note onto certain things that I find especially great in what I read. It doesn't happen very often, but it has been known to happen.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
It depends on what I'm reading and why I'm reading it.

Most of the time I read novels for fun. I look up words as I go but rarely mark the text. Sometimes I read works in progress, which I mark up extensively. With my newest ereader I can attach web links and (separate) typewritten notes to passages in the text, which is nifty.

Mostly I get lost in book-world and just turn pages!

Interesting question -- this might be one of those areas where ereaders are changing people's reading habits. Or not: I marked up paper books for study, but never when reading for pleasure. Hmmm. Not so much change after all!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
That's one of the things I find very nice about ebooks - I can mark them without damaging them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Hard copies of books? Never.

With ebooks, I'll toss the occasional note onto certain things that I find especially great in what I read.
What they said. I never ever ever notated in pbooks. In my ebooks I highlight fun quotes, passages I want to talk about later in reviews (either good or bad), things that seem like foreshadowing that I want to read again later, and words I don't know (which I later compile with the definition and sentence into a notebook that I started with my grandmother when I was about 12).
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You guys sure do have a lot of rules about marking your books. It's just paper.

I used to look for well annoted textbooks when I bought them used. It saved me lots of time!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
hummm interesting.... I'm somewhat new here and I thought the focus of the forums was eBooks..... not paper????? (I was really referring to eBooks)

Also... some of us (well, at least me) have large reference libraries and reference books with are not worth much if key points and locations are not highlighted, marked, and noted for quick reference.

btw... concerning paper books... I have a certain well marked-up and "scribbled on" book which I wouldn't trade for 1000 new books!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I was raised that books were for reading and you mark the pages with a bookmark. Any notes about the book should be put into a notebook or on notepaper that could be put into the book. My parents would even frown on bending over the corners to mark pages and made sure we knew how to read a book without breaking the spine. Most of the books I own have been read many times and still look almost new.

That's 100 per cent me. Books have always been something holy to me and I treat them with greatest care. And it took me a very long time to realise that ebooks are totally different, that I could write notes into a book and still have a perfect "clean" copy of the file. But I still use it only for books I read for study, I haven't made any annotations yet into the file of a fiction book.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I mark up ebooks and pbooks alike. With pbooks, the only things I treated as sacred were the words they contained. The paper on which those words were printed never inspired me in the least.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I consider it one of the great advantages of my Sony that I can highlight text and make notes, and this is one of the reasons my first choice for format of any book is an ebook. I never mark up paper books.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I mark up ebooks and pbooks alike. With pbooks, the only things I treated as sacred were the words they contained. The paper on which those words were printed never inspired me in the least.
Me too. I was always last on the office book rotation, because no one wanted it after I finished mangling it. I would split them down the spine into manageable bits of about 150 pages more or less. Dogear and usually they got wet somehow. Then put it back together with a rubber band. Needless to say, I was seldom loaned a book!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote