Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Not getting enough sleep? Turn off the technology

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7260RH20110307

What I want to know is does reading an eReader (like a kindle) have the same effect. If not then I am going to start reading before sleep, instead of playing games on my PSP and iPad.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
I have extreme difficulty in sleeping, and I do think that it's in part due to my not "unplugging" until just before I turn the lights out. Depending on what's been going on where I've been surfing or reading or chatting, my mind can't catch up and realize it's time to sleep. I've heard that it's best to pull yourself away from electronics/technology for at least an hour before attempting to go to sleep.

... I've yet to implement that, though.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I seriously believe it. I have to turn my ipad to white on black and push the brightness down to about halfway when i am trying to read myself to sleep.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I always read my Sony (eInk) in bed, and I often struggle to keep my eyes open, so I don't think it is any different than reading a pbook.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the real world I have whats commonly referred to as Chronic Type A Insomnia, which translated to the king's english means that I can't get to sleep. There are two types of insominacs type A like me that can't get to sleep (Once we are there we have no problem staying there) and type B that can get there just can't stay there (these are the people that are always waking in the middle of the night). There are also chronic insominacs like me that can never do it and casual insominacs that don't get it all of the time just a few times each month. I know technology makes little difference in my chronic type A insomnia.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The light from backlit screens (computers, TVs, etc.) interferes with the production of the hormone melatonin, which regulates sleep. Devices such as the Kindle don't have backlit screens, but you do need some source of light to read when it's dark. Some people are sensitive to even small amounts of light at night, such as digital clocks.

Reading may be too stimulating for some (I suppose it depends on the book!), but it tends to make me sleepy. I even have this problem during the daytime.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In the real world I have whats commonly referred to as Chronic Type A Insomnia, which translated to the king's english means that I can't get to sleep. There are two types of insominacs type A like me that can't get to sleep (Once we are there we have no problem staying there) and type B that can get there just can't stay there (these are the people that are always waking in the middle of the night). There are also chronic insominacs like me that can never do it and casual insominacs that don't get it all of the time just a few times each month. I know technology makes little difference in my chronic type A insomnia.
You have my sympathy. I have had chronic lifetime severe insomnia. My record - which i never hope to break - is 11 hours sleep in Jan 1993. Now i take heavy drugs and use a CPAP to sleep. It is delicious to be asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
The light from backlit screens (computers, TVs, etc.) interferes with the production of the hormone melatonin, which regulates sleep. Devices such as the Kindle don't have backlit screens, but you do need some source of light to read when it's dark. Some people are sensitive to even small amounts of light at night, such as digital clocks.

Reading may be too stimulating for some (I suppose it depends on the book!), but it tends to make me sleepy. I even have this problem during the daytime.
My lighted cover for the Sony used to bother Tim. I, on the other hand, can not sleep if he leaves his shaver on the charger, because the indicator light is too much. And certainly not if anything is lit up in the living room, like the satellitebox or something. The curtains are thick blue "black out" curtains, well curtain, because they are sewn together to avoid having a crack that lets in sunlight.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I always read my Sony (eInk) in bed, and I often struggle to keep my eyes open, so I don't think it is any different than reading a pbook.
Gonna have to second this. I am usually quite nervous about falling asleep with my device in hand and dropping it or rolling on it, so I typically put it aside once I start feeling my eyelids get heavy.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

here is one and htere have been several threads about this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7260RH20110307

What I want to know is does reading an eReader (like a kindle) have the same effect. If not then I am going to start reading before sleep, instead of playing games on my PSP and iPad.
Here is a more recent discussion:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123486

I have little doubt its a real thing for many people but long before there has been extensive use of backlit devices in the home people such as myself have suffered chronic insomnia.

This is a real thing but also remember the media rarely delivers true reporting anymore. No money for researching to check if the info being reported is knee-jerk info or vaild. There is so much more that goes into the science of sleep it's not funny. So many environmental factors, and no doubt for many adding all these backlit devices using true daylight temperature light sources as backlights (stuff in the 5000k-6500k range) can contribute greatly. It's the devices and the constant exposure everywhere all day long with little to now exposure to real sunlight that would make a lot more sense than the activity being done. I mention in the other thread about we all have nothing but LCD TV's now. I am betting most if not all of those use daylight backlights to get better color. It's a side effect that I doubt anyone ever could have anticipated but it has to be real. Even many offices have moved to daylight bulbs in their lighting in order to combat workplace fatigue and keep staff from fading as the day goes on.

But insomnia has been around long before there ever was the idea of backlit devices everywhere in the home. It's just the current darling of fear to sell pills and newspapers. There is just more to it than the the "turn off the tech" Nazi's would want people to acknowledge and understand. Perhaps it is just another way for insurance companies to raise rates. I can see the new questions about professions and use of LCD devices being used to add every penny they can to premiums. As it is now if you ever told a doc you once had a headache or were on the same block as a chain smoker they will use that to increase your rates or even deny coverage.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Gonna have to second this. I am usually quite nervous about falling asleep with my device in hand and dropping it or rolling on it, so I typically put it aside once I start feeling my eyelids get heavy.

There is absolutely no difference whether you read a paper book or ebook reader with eInk screen. It is all the same for your eyes and brains.
The whole point of eInk ebook readers is that they are not just another gadget.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The best way to get a good night's sleep is to do hard physical labor for 8 hours.

I'm not saying insomnia isn't a problem (as I have it) but a lot of it simply isn't actually doing much all day.

And anyway, beyond that, I do really think there is a difference between reflected light (like a book or e-ink) and literally shining a bright light in your face (which is what LCD screens do). Heck, while it's not nearly as bad as CRT, sometimes you can even feel your face get warm from one...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The best way to get a good night's sleep is to do hard physical labor for 8 hours.
I think I'd die of over-exertion before I finished 8 straight hours of hard physical labor. I'm more the mental labor type of guy... The most physical labor I've done at once was 2-3 hours...
But though the labor does help, I can sleep just fine even if I've only sat on the couch all day (though I don't often do that of course)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebear View Post
I have extreme difficulty in sleeping, and I do think that it's in part due to my not "unplugging" until just before I turn the lights out. Depending on what's been going on where I've been surfing or reading or chatting, my mind can't catch up and realize it's time to sleep. I've heard that it's best to pull yourself away from electronics/technology for at least an hour before attempting to go to sleep.
I have (almost) absolutely no difficulty in sleeping. I can sleep almost anywhere (if I'm not cold or too cramped), at almost any time, I can sleep with almost any amount of light (except a light shining directly into my face or strong daylight directly on top of me) though I prefer darkness with moonlight, I can sleep with a full stomach or an empty stomach... Though I have noticed that if I go to bed after being too mentally active for too long I sleep a shallow and restless sleep and wake up tired. It usually happened when I studied for exams.
Oh yeah and I can't fall asleep with loud noises in the enviroment (although some people seem oblivious to noise when it comes to sleeping). I did fall asleep once when I was a kid with my head on a cupboard 10cm from a TV that was on (the news I think), I think I was either standing or kneeling while I was sleeping (only for a shortwhile before my parents woke me up and I went to bed).
And as for backlit screens, I stare at them for a large part of each day, either because I have to (for professional reasons) or for entertainment or communication and still have no trouble sleeping because of that. Insomnia being related to screens is bollocks, screens hurt the eyes not the brain...

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 03-08-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You have my sympathy. I have had chronic lifetime severe insomnia. My record - which i never hope to break - is 11 hours sleep in Jan 1993. Now i take heavy drugs and use a CPAP to sleep. It is delicious to be asleep!
I'm usually asleep almost as soon as I hit the hay (or mattress as it may be) without any drugs and can sleep for up to 15 hours if I've slept little the day or two before...
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Catz2.0
Catz2.0 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital E Reader, iPhone 4
I read online somewhere that TV and light and playing games right before you go to bed is unhealthy for a fufilling sleep. You are supposed to give your body an hour or so to unwind before falling asleep. I don't know if its all true but I think there has to be some truth to it.
Catz2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
What keeps me awake is music. Not music playing whilst I'm trying to get to sleep, but music I have been listening to during the day. If I have discovered a new album I really like, I will listen to it every day, but then I find I can't get to sleep because of the tunes whirling around in my head. I have to start rationing myself, and resist the urge to play it just one more time, because I know it will keep me awake later.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote