Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What luck switching print subscriptions to digital?

Now that I have my Nook Color, I'm eager to switch my print subscriptions to digital subscriptions and put that bag boy to work. (I'm mostly reading ebooks on it so far.)

However, I'm detecting an amount of... let's say reluctance... on the part of some of my magazine providers to do the transition. I have contacted two magazines and asked them to transfer my print subscription to a digital subscription, and neither has responded in the last 3 weeks (not even to say "we can't/don't know how to do that); another magazine is in the process of rebuilding a digital presence, and will not say when they will be ready; and another, as far as I can tell, has no digital version at all, and is not publicly planning one.

So I'm wondering how the rest of you have fared in switching from print to digital magazine subscriptions? Have any of you simply canceled your print, waited for confirmation, then activated a digital subscription? How many of you have gone through B&N, and how many have gone through the publisher directly? Are any of your magazine publishers stonewalling you?

Report your progress here.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Magazines are behind where books were a year or so ago. Most book publishers have waived the white flag and realized eBooks are the future, piracy concerns be damned.

I'm guessing magazines are stuck in the "we're going to be pirated out of jobs if we go digital" mindframe.

I sure hope this changes because they will be out of jobs if they don't adopt new technology and move forward. Piracy will always exist (i.e. you can and have been able to find digital scanned copies of any magazine for years now)...

Anyhow, off my soapbox.

As for contacting individual publishers, I'd say it will take millions of requests and a major shift in management at said magazines before the up and decide to go digital...and that's a shame.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is, I know a lot of these publishers have digital versions of their magazines right now (including at least 3 of the 5 subscriptions I have). But the ease of converting customers from one to the other is the question: Have you tried to convert, and found resistance from the publisher?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
My bet is that your gonna have to wait till your print subscription ends, and renew the digital version.....or just eat the cost and pay for the digital version now, even though you have the print version......

I haven't actually tried a magazine digital subscription yet.......I wonder if I still get 14 day's free....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I actually cancelled my paper subscription (& got a refund - prorated) then e-subscribed.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Sorry, OP, I didn't read your post closely enough (I just launched into a rant...haha).

I'd love to convert my paper WSJ sub, especially since they pile up during the week (I travel all the time). Somehow, I don't think it's even worth calling the WSJ, as I'm certain they will laugh if I ask if they will end the paper delivery and transfer my sub to an e-version.

Oh well. Trees will continue to die due to idiotic policies.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with what others have said - you will probably have to discontinue your print subscription and resubscribe as a digital. Or just have both till the print expires.

Of course, when you think about it, it would save the magazine money if they switched your subscription to digital (no more printing and mailing the magazine), but I don't think that they are there yet, in most cases.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Of course, when you think about it, it would save the magazine money if they switched your subscription to digital (no more printing and mailing the magazine), but I don't think that they are there yet, in most cases.
Oh, it would clearly make them more money, as the NC is only set up to charge magazines one at a time... meaning I don't get a yearly subscription discount, I pay full issue price every month. You think they'd beg me to switch to digital.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Looking at it from the magazine's side, it's usually not even possible to convert a subscription. Most magazine distribution and subscription functions, including customer service, is handled by distributors. It doesn't matter what the publishers want to do if the distributors aren't set up for it. At Poets & Writers Magazine, we had to get our print distributor to coordinate with Texterity to handle combined print/digital subscriptions.

Adding device-based subscriptions into the mix now, it gets even more complicated. Amazon handles Kindle Periodical subscriptions as a distributor/retailer combination and doesn't seem inclined to cooperate with anyone, often including the publisher.

Barnes & Noble makes nookMagazine publishing at least as opaque as Amazon does. We still haven't managed to get on there, even though we've been trying for a long time, but I don't see anything on the nookMagazine pages that leads me to believe it will work any differently.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Steven, you might check out Zinio magazines (www.zinio.com). You'd have to read them on a computer but they are cheaper than B&N's & may have a larger selection. Zinio for Android is coming soon (as per their web site). We'll have to wait & see whether it'll run on a rooted NC.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Steven, you might check out Zinio magazines (www.zinio.com). You'd have to read them on a computer but they are cheaper than B&N's & may have a larger selection. Zinio for Android is coming soon (as per their web site). We'll have to wait & see whether it'll run on a rooted NC.
I know about Zinio... tried them a few years ago. Unfortunately, they don't carry subscriptions for the magazines I'm interested in.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
B&N overcharges for the magazines I'm interested in. Until prices drop, my NC will remain a magazine virgin.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
coolbreeze
Addict

The New Yorker is really the only magazine I will pay for, IMO. Oh, and it doesn't work on the NC.

Genius, B&N. Pure Genius.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
B&N overcharges for the magazines I'm interested in. Until prices drop, my NC will remain a magazine virgin.
Take a look at the magazine details. Magazines are not sold by B&N, they are sold by the publisher.
Just as with the agency 5 books the publisher sets the price of the magazines (and I assume also decides which devices to support).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
The New Yorker is really the only magazine I will pay for, IMO. Oh, and it doesn't work on the NC.

Genius, B&N. Pure Genius.
See my post #14.
The sad thing about this, is that it is once again the e-book seller that gets blames for publisher decisions/restrictions (just as with the agency 5 book prices and the Lendme restrictions).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digital, magazines, nook color, subscriptions