Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
OPF missing opf metadata tag

I have epubs from various sources and clean them up and convert to azw to load on my Kindle.

I also set some metadata, but in a few files found these were not working correctly. Every time I saved it in Sigil it would change them: e.g.:

<dc:identifier opf:scheme="AMAZON">
became
<dc:identifier scheme="AMAZON">

and did not work properly (was ignored by kindlegen).

Also a swarm of errors turned up in epubcheck.

Eventually I found that the culprit was a metadata tag.
These files had:

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

The well-behaved epubs had :

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">

So I assume the latter part was needed to define the tags properly.

Adding that fixed the problem; metadata now works.

I don't know the cause of the omission; but perhaps this will be useful to others.

Last edited by AlanHK; 07-25-2017 at 10:54 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes including the opf namespace is required if you use the opf: prefix. Some software omits this namespace declaration or includes it on the package tag itself.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote