Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #46
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Question:

On Amazon I keep seeing romance as a genre in the cozy mystery. I thought cozy mystery was just mystery. No romance involved.

What do you say Dr. Drib?
I thought what someone told me was the romance is part of what made it cozy lol
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #47
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
lol I read romance but when I want a mystery I do not want any romance involved. Why I usually stick to cozy mystery.

Come on Don, we are waiting for you answer. We really need your advice on this. We are lost. Well I am
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For me cozy usually means an amateur sleuth (not police or a medical examiner or detective).
Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I thought what someone told me was the romance is part of what made it cozy lol
No, romance has nothing to do with it. What makes it "cozy" is reducing the crime to an abstract puzzle, and leaving out the violence, suffering, and misery associated with a real-life murder.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #50
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Question:

On Amazon I keep seeing romance as a genre in the cozy mystery. I thought cozy mystery was just mystery. No romance involved.

What do you say Dr. Drib?
According to Wikipedia: Cozy mystery, "Cozy mysteries, also referred to simply as 'cozies', are a subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community." (Read more.)

An even better treatment is provided by one of the sources for the above-mentioned article: Stasio, Marilyn (October 18, 1992). "CRIME/MYSTERY; Murder Least Foul: The Cozy, Soft-Boiled Mystery". The New York Times.

Last edited by Froide; 06-12-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
lol I read romance but when I want a mystery I do not want any romance involved. Why I usually stick to cozy mystery.
Romance is not part of the genre, but there are some cozies with romance involved (triangle is a new fashion ). Not the main theme, but a theme along the series.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Oh my .... I think I can begin to imagine Don's answer

(I know how addicted Don is to the romance genre )
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #53
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, romance has nothing to do with it. What makes it "cozy" is reducing the crime to an abstract puzzle, and leaving out the violence, suffering, and misery associated with a real-life murder.
Or murder is not the crime being solved. There are also Fantasy also has a cozy genre. So you could have a book that had Fantasy elements (say shifters) a mystery element (who killed Joe) and a romance element (main protag falls in love with handsome shifter). All told in a delightful cozy manner!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Or murder is not the crime being solved. There are also Fantasy also has a cozy genre. So you could have a book that had Fantasy elements (say shifters) a mystery element (who killed Joe) and a romance element (main protag falls in love with handsome shifter). All told in a delightful cozy manner!
Examples, please? Yours are not right, I've already read them
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #55
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Examples, please? Yours are not right, I've already read them
You mean cozy fantasy examples or cozies without murders? And yes, my cozies don't involve murders. And I do have one series that is cozy fantasy romance mystery, and the second book in the series will be out soon. But I'm not sure if that is what you mean?

I consider Frank Tuttle's work to at least border cozy fantasy (All the Paths of Shadow is DEFINITELY cozy, fantasy--or steampunk, mystery with a romantic element. The next book is due out before the end of the year and he's hinted that the romance will continue). His Markhat books are fairly cozy most of the time...but there are some pretty spooky/dark elements now and then. That series has a wonderful romance, but not until later in the series (it takes place across two or three books). Unicorn on Speed Dial is definitely cozy, has a romantic bent and definitely a mystery. Wonderful book.

I can think of others, I'm sure because it is one of my favorite genre mixes. Let me check my list!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agatha Christie is generally regarded as the originator of the "cozy mystery", in which the solution of the crime is treated as an academic exercise.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #57
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde -- fantasy, romantic element, mystery! Fun romp.

Does involve a murder, but is cozy YA--WONDERFUL READ and! It's also a bargain: Tell-tale Con by Aimee ... Aimee Gilchrist! I think the kobo coupons work with this book too.

Jana DeLeon--Great cozies, the first is free (Louisiana Longshot bargain!) The rest are 5.99, but kobo coupons work! Fun with a romantic element that is working its way in. She has a series Mudbug? with a ghost in it so that could be considered a fantasy element, but that is kind of stretching calling it fantasy just because of the ghost!

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 06-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #58
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You mean cozy fantasy examples or cozies without murders? And yes, my cozies don't involve murders. And I do have one series that is cozy fantasy romance mystery, and the second book in the series will be out soon. But I'm not sure if that is what you mean?
It's what I mean, but I've already read your book

Quote:
I consider Frank Tuttle's work to at least border cozy fantasy (All the Paths of Shadow is DEFINITELY cozy, fantasy--or steampunk, mystery with a romantic element. The next book is due out before the end of the year and he's hinted that the romance will continue).
It's in my mountain

Quote:
Unicorn on Speed Dial is definitely cozy, has a romantic bent and definitely a mystery. Wonderful book.
I'll check it.

Quote:
I can think of others, I'm sure because it is one of my favorite genre mixes. Let me check my list!
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #59
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde -- fantasy, romantic element, mystery! Fun romp.

Does involve a murder, but is cozy YA--WONDERFUL READ and! It's also a bargain: Tell-tale Con by Aimee ... Aimee Gilchrist! I think the kobo coupons work with this book too.

Jana DeLeon--Great cozies, the first is free (bargain!) The rest are 5.99, but kobo coupons work! Fun with a romantic element that is working its way in. She has a series Mudbug? with a ghost in it so that could be considered a fantasy element, but that is kind of stretching calling it fantasy just because of the ghost!

"Heir Apparent", I'll check. "Tell-tale Con", I've read it and I've liked it a lot, I hope there's another one in the series. Jana DeLeon, not my liking.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #60
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
"Heir Apparent", I'll check. "Tell-tale Con", I've read it and I've liked it a lot, I hope there's another one in the series. Jana DeLeon, not my liking.
I didn't like DeLeon until Louisiana Longshot. I thought the Mudbug was just so-so and didn't even finish it. But I really liked Louisiana Longshot and the rest of the series so far (haven't read the last one yet). And since the first is free, you can try without loss of funds if you haven't tried that series yet.
Closed Thread