Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
beingnickb
beingnickb began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro
Sigil Adding White Space?

I exported to the EPUB format from Apple's Pages in iWork '09. The book looks great. All spacing is appropriate. But I wanted to remove a few pages from the spine so they could only be viewed via hyperlink. When I do the editing in Sigil and then save, I suddenly have ridiculously amounts of white space everywhere. If I re-export from Pages, it looks fine again (but the pages I was trying to hide show). It seems as if something is happening during the Sigil save...

Any thoughts here? I've done all the normal things in the CSS such as specifying 0 for margins and padding with not much luck.
beingnickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Where do you see the white spaces? Do you see it in Code View?
Do you mean spaces or margins?

My guess is, that you see it in Code View. Than it is normal and is done to make the code more readable.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
beingnickb

No, not in the code. When I view the EPUB in a reader. It makes no sense to me:

1. Fine after exported from Pages.
2. Not fine after saving from Sigil.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Do you have Tidy on in Sigil?

Do some editing not in the spine and see if the spine editing is causing your problem.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Run Sigil without loading your ePub and turn Tidy off. Tidy can modify some things. Then close Sigil and rerun it with your ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
beingnickb

Yeah that didn't seem to work. It's okay. I think I am going to go a different route than the hidden pages so I will not need to even use Sigil.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you post an ePub before Sigil and the same ePub after Sigil saved it?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
beingnickb

Sure. See attached.

EDIT: Attachments removed.

Last edited by beingnickb; 07-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Could you explain what you mean with "ridiculously amounts of white space everywhere"? Is it blank pages? Vertical space between paragraphs? Unjustified lines? Space between words?

I see nothing wrong at first sight opening the ePubs in the browser.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Could you explain what you mean with "ridiculously amounts of white space everywhere"? Is it blank pages? Vertical space between paragraphs? Unjustified lines? Space between words?

I see nothing wrong at first sight opening the ePubs in the browser.
Ditto--what device are you using to view this, or what reader? I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but in ePUBreader they appear identical, so I don't see the issue either.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The 'style="white-space:pre-wrap"' in all the <body> elements needs to go. Chuck it right out. ADE seems to be ignoring it for the most part (line-breaks), but Sigil's QTWebKit renderer doesn't. It's showing every line-break that Sigil's pretty-print feature is adding (Code View). I assume the ridiculous amounts of whitespace might show up in iBooks, too, since I believe it uses a WebKit renderer as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-28-2012 at 07:46 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
beingnickb

Okay. I'll give that a shot. I am using iBooks, for the most part, to view it.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
beingnickb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The 'style="white-spacere-wrap"' in all the <body> elements needs to go. Chuck it right out. ADE seems to be ignoring it for the most part (line-breaks), but Sigil's QTWebKit renderer doesn't. It's showing every line-break that Sigil's pretty-print feature is adding (Code View). I assume the ridiculous amounts of whitespace might show up in iBooks, too, since I believe it uses a WebKit renderer as well.
This was the culprit.

Thanks all very much for your help and suggestions.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
AHA. iBooks. Shoulda known.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
AHA. iBooks. Shoulda known.

Hitch
Sigil produces ePub. So when talking about iBooks, it belongs in a separate forum section totally unrelated to ePub or Sigil.