Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
One other reason to want the widespread adoption of the epub format. If someone wants to correct dashes and such, just unzip the epub and edit the XHTML source. Couldn't be easier.
Actually, if the em dashes were lost from the original text where they were, then manually checking all the dashes is going to be a lot harder then just redoing the book from the original source (unless a lot of editing went into the conversion).

Quote:
Thinking that the use of proprietary ebook formats like Mobi will keep someone else from doing something that you don't like with an ebook is just as useless as adding DRM. Honest people will respect the author's/publisher's rights and dishonest people will steal, regardless of format or DRM use.
We can convert Mobi to HTML fairly easily now. But sometimes it's not always easiest to edit if you need to fix a lot of things best fixed by redoing the original text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #32
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Due to the many kind words of encouragement and private messages from some of the moderators on this site I am going to end my brief retirement. I still have not figured out the whole em dash thing. For those of you that this an issue I offer the following graphic as a warning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EM DASH.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	10550  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Due to the many kind words of encouragement and private messages from some of the moderators on this site I am going to end my brief retirement. I still have not figured out the whole em dash thing. For those of you that this an issue I offer the following graphic as a warning.
Please read the following thread and if you still need any help with em dashes and Book Designer with Book Cleaner, I will be happy to help. I know others will as well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I'm very glad to hear you're coming out of retirement, Madam Broshkina!

If you choose (as is your undisputed right) not to include emdash support in your past, present or future uploads ... well then, folks who prefer them (like myself) can just take "thank you for your interest, but I don't do emdashes" for an answer, and re-do the books ourselves if it bugs us enough.

If you should decide to do them at some point, that's your call, and you know where to find info on the subject.

That matter aside, welcome back!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #35
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
great news, thank you

Quote:
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Due to the many kind words of encouragement and private messages from some of the moderators on this site I am going to end my brief retirement. I still have not figured out the whole em dash thing.
MB,

I believe that you create your books with Book Designer, yes? All you have to do is:

1. Go to this thread and download the book cleaner files. Unzip them into the "BookCleaner" subdirectory of the BD installation.

2. Run BD, and from the "Tools" menu select "Book Cleaner". In the Book Cleaner window, select "1.bcf" from the "input file before formatting" drop-down, and "2.bcf" from the "input file after formatting" drop-down.

3. Close the Book Cleaner window and exit BD.

Those settings will be remembered. Now, whenever you load a new book, Book Cleaner will "process" the file and automatically preserve dashes, etc.

The only other thing you have to do, when you create a SONY book, is go to the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Book" dialog, and in the "Misc" section of the page (at the far right side), set the "Dashes" drop-down to "as it is".

That's it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
To write a program that takes a MobiPocket file and replace " - " with emdash seems to be rather easy.
It is indeed very easy. The problem, however, is that if you create books with the standard settings of BookDesigner, the emdashes (or the equivalent "--" of a PG book) get converted not to " - ", but to "-" (without any spaces) and hence can't be distinguished from hyphens. One can of course search for "-" and decide in each individual case whether it should be a hyphen or a dash, but it's a lot of work for a long book. I speak from experience, having done exactly that for a number of books where dashes were missing from the original.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM   #38
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MB,

I believe that you create your books with Book Designer, yes? All you have to do is:

1. Go to this thread and download the book cleaner files. Unzip them into the "BookCleaner" subdirectory of the BD installation.

2. Run BD, and from the "Tools" menu select "Book Cleaner". In the Book Cleaner window, select "1.bcf" from the "input file before formatting" drop-down, and "2.bcf" from the "input file after formatting" drop-down.

3. Close the Book Cleaner window and exit BD.

Those settings will be remembered. Now, whenever you load a new book, Book Cleaner will "process" the file and automatically preserve dashes, etc.

The only other thing you have to do, when you create a SONY book, is go to the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Book" dialog, and in the "Misc" section of the page (at the far right side), set the "Dashes" drop-down to "as it is".

That's it!
I have tried all that but to no avail. But I think that I may be on to something. I am running Windows Vista and I tried the whole book cleaner thing on a friends computer running XP and it worked as advertised. I need to have Vista so I can talk my Dad through computer problems via the phone. It is easier when we are both working on the same page. He is not very computer literate. I remember one time I asked him to right click on the desktop and he stated that he had to get a pen. So I really do not want to go back to XP. If anyone has any ideas with this issue I would welcome their advice.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #39
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Due to the many kind words of encouragement and private messages from some of the moderators on this site I am going to end my brief retirement.

Great news!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is the problem that BD is not "remembering" the Book Cleaner settings (ie when you run BD and select "Tools/Book Cleaner", has it "remembered" the two file settings?), or that it doesn't appear to be "doing" anything?

Book Cleaner only does anything when you load a new file into BD; it doesn't do anything when you open an existing BD file, or if you "paste" content into a BD window; you have to actually open the new file, either using the "File/Open" button in BD, or by right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open With..." then "BookDesigner".
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #41
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is the problem that BD is not "remembering" the Book Cleaner settings (ie when you run BD and select "Tools/Book Cleaner", has it "remembered" the two file settings?), or that it doesn't appear to be "doing" anything?

Book Cleaner only does anything when you load a new file into BD; it doesn't do anything when you open an existing BD file, or if you "paste" content into a BD window; you have to actually open the new file, either using the "File/Open" button in BD, or by right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open With..." then "BookDesigner".
Well that brings up another problem I have. I always get an error when I try and open a new file. I have to cut and paste. It may be have something to do with the fact that I do not have Microsoft Word installed on my computer. I use OpenOffice for my word processing needs.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well that brings up another problem I have. I always get an error when I try and open a new file. I have to cut and paste. It may be have something to do with the fact that I do not have Microsoft Word installed on my computer. I use OpenOffice for my word processing needs.
That explains why Book Cleaner isn't working then, I'm afraid; it doesn't do anything when you paste material into the BD window. That's a bit of a "show stopper", unfortunately!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #43
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
May I offer a suggestion here :
Maybe this is related to the lack of the msvcr71.dll.
If I remember well, this is a DLL that is installed with a lot of MS products, and is used by quite a number of other programs.

Here is where you can download it :
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?msvcr71

Or it could be related to the .Net framework not being isntalled on your PC.

Is the error message you get containing specific information or is it a generic one ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #44
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Actually, I think that a lot of the problem is that Madam B does not have Microsoft Word on the computer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is necessary for the correct running of Book Designer.
You don't have to use Word, but it needs to be there.

A hint: it is often possible to get Microsoft Office very cheaply and legally as a licensed copy from your workplace or College. Mine is licensed to me as a member of my university. My sister is running a copy licensed to her from the NHS.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
May I offer a suggestion here :
Maybe this is related to the lack of the msvcr71.dll.
If I remember well, this is a DLL that is installed with a lot of MS products, and is used by quite a number of other programs.
No, it's related to the fact that BD uses one of the COM libraries of Word to do a lot of file conversion. I don't think it uses it to read text files, but it does for HTML, RTF, etc.